Dark Knight Rises (review and discussion) [major spoilers from second post onwards]

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
And really, Bruce Wayne does not look unusual enough that anyone who sees him (at least, in a country where dark-haired white guys are not uncommon) is going to immediately think "hey, that's Bruce Wayne!".

Plus, Bruce did not get out much any more, from movie 2 and this one, as long as he kept out of Gotham. It would be like Bill Gates, sure I know what he looks like but I would not recognize him on the street but if it was Donald Trump, he I would.

The world assumes Bruce Wayne is dead - it's not quite established why, but considering what was going on in Gotham City for 5 months, and he basically never showed up in that time, it would seem likely that he was just one of the first victims.

Any sightings of him would be like sightings of Elvis. A myth that pertains, but ultimately it doesn't really make sense that some ex-billionaire playboy turned hermit would fake his own death - what would he have to gain? It's not like he's some costumed crime fighter or anything, right?

---

I wonder what drives a woman to sleep with the man that killed her father, but then, what drives an large group of people to blow up a corrupt city with themselves... ;)

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Saw it today, thought it was an OK film. Bane was much better than I thought he would be.

A couple of things didn't make much sense to me though - did batman get his back broken, but it 'got better' in prison through doing press-ups and stuff ?!? That didn't make lots of sense to me.

The other thing is that - since duking it out fist to fist with Bane worked so appallingly badly the first time, why on earth did batman think it was going to work better this time? Would it not have made sense to use, I dunno, something significant from his utility belt? A bit of outthinking or gadgetry this time to get an edge? It just didn't ring true to me there.

Cheers

Iosue

Legend
A couple of things didn't make much sense to me though - did batman get his back broken, but it 'got better' in prison through doing press-ups and stuff ?!? That didn't make lots of sense to me.
His back wasn't broken. I don't remember exactly, but the inmate who helps says something about a vertebra sticking out, suggesting a subluxation or dislocation. He gets Bruce into the sling, slams the vertebra back into place, and tells him to hang there until he's strong enough to stand on his own. After he can stand again, then Bruce starts on the push-ups and sit-ups.

The other thing is that - since duking it out fist to fist with Bane worked so appallingly badly the first time, why on earth did batman think it was going to work better this time? Would it not have made sense to use, I dunno, something significant from his utility belt? A bit of outthinking or gadgetry this time to get an edge? It just didn't ring true to me there.
I, too, thought going for some bat-gadgetry would have been very in-character. But he wasn't exactly making the same mistake this time. Before he fought Bane just like any other criminal, not knowing that Bane's mask was pumping him full of painkillers, letting him shrug all of Batman's blows. The second time around, he knew about the mask, and targeted it during the fight.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
I went to this movie last night. I'd been wanting to see it earlier, but just didn't get the opportunity.

I walked out of the movie a little after half-way through it. I was not entertained. At all. I was shocked that I didn't like it. I was left completely "meh." I decided going home and going to bed was a better use of my time than staying and seeing the rest of the movie.

Some things that just killed it for me:

Bane's genius plans relied on the good guys doing completely insane-stupid things.

In the very beginning, the CIA agent took on the hooded captives *without taking off their hoods* first! WTF? If the agent wasn't a complete idiot, Bane's plan wouldn't have worked.

The entire police force went into the sewers to get Bane's army? WTF? Really? Sending an *entire city of just beat cops* into a tunnel complex to engage a mercenary army? That's completely idiotic. And Bane's plan depended on that idiocy to work.

I wouldn't even call the above "mistakes." Trusting a potentially corrupt law official in another country is a mistake. Failing to remove unsecured hoods from three men you're taking into custody is not a mistake, it's friggin' insane.

And then the "prison doc" set Bruce's spine with a back slap? WTF?

It was right after the back slap that I decided this whole thing was too stupid for me. I got up and left the theater.

I don't get bothered by little stupidity here and there in movie stories. People do stupid things sometimes. But when the whole plot -- when the bad guy's "genius" is planned on the good guys repeatedly doing completely moronic things -- relies on stupid things, I loose interest.

Bullgrit

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-GkQihKYvM]The Dark Knight & 60's Robin - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tc92UM2Kyk]Extremely Dark Knight - YouTube[/ame]

Janx

Hero
I never read the original dark knight batman, though I heard the tale from my Batman fan friend on the drive through Iowa. The comic book story motivation for Bane sounded dumb then, and the movie's version is only slightly better.

First, off, kudos to Sean Connery for playing Bane and being so buff. For an old guy, he can sure move. Funny how a guy raised in a South American prison gets a scottish accent.

Next off, how does somebody raised in a prison to serve their father's sentence not cause you some daddy issues. I'm sorry, but my evil plan would involve shanking daddy for not rescuing me, rather than taking it out on some stupid city in the US.

Now this movie had a lot of character building for people like Blake the hothead cop, and the stupid bossy cop, and the leader cop who let somebody take the blame. It also had a cameo by Batman. I hope you didn't miss the scene where he showed up for a moment. It was pretty cool.

I think the surprise ending was a little inconsistent. Yes, the auto-pilot doesn't work. he even says so as he climbs in. Why would he lie about something so important to people who are obviously concerned about his safety during this last ditch effort to save the city. He even pilots it out of the city, because we saw him pilot it out of the city.

Somehow, in between cut-scenes, he manages to eject while still being out of range of the NUCLEAR explosion. Pretty impressive. I can see a world where Bruce Wayne sees a chance to let the Batman die/end heroically, so he'll lie now to setup his exit. But there's some serious logistical problems in pulling this trick off on a spur of the moment.

Perhaps Michael Kane helped him with it, after all, he did once work for an Illusionist.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases