D&D 5E With Respect to the Door and Expectations....The REAL Reason 5e Can't Unite the Base

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Folks, a few pages back, there were some folks who slipped, and started getting personal.

Don't do that. Really.

Generally speaking, you should address the content of the post, not the person of the poster. In addition, we expect our users to treat each other with respect - as if being a fellow gamers was more important than differences in personal preferences of playstyle and such.

If there's a question about this, or the rules in general, please e-mail or PM the moderator of your choice. Thanks, all, for your continued civility and honorable behavior.

Pickles JG

First Post
All you say here may be true. It doesn't go one step, however, towards showing that 4e is a tactical skirmish game punctuated by freeform improv, which is the main contention of the Justin Alexander blog.

Hence the reason why that blog remains rather contentious.

Prior to the 3e release I described my 2e game on these boards as a tactical miniatures game with in character chat. It is the way I have always played D&D so I find its application to 4e rather reassuring. Not that that will help us win the edition wars.

drothgery

First Post
That's weird, 'cause I've done it.
So did I (XPH classes in an otherwise 3.0 game). And I played 2e when the DM was using 1e and Basic adventures. But it doesn't change that there were a lot of fiddly differences between core 3.0 and 3.5; I never played 1e, but it seems to me that 3.0->3.5 was a similar level of change to 1e->2e.

So what is the criteria for a new edition? The first thing you asked was did it replace or overwrite things... which it did. Now your criteria seems to be...does it invalidate character classes.

Simple answer. It's a new edition when they pull the old edition and its supplements off the shelves and make sure you can only buy the new incompatable one as far as they possibly can.

The 4e PHB 1 is on sale alongside the Essentials books. And the only problem with buying a copy of e.g. AV1 is finding the thing. Therefore not a new edition.

They pulled 3.0 and they pulled the books like Song and Silence, replacing them with Complete Arcane and the like. Therefore new edition.

pemerton

Legend
The thief can attempt it all he wants. He just fails.
Oh, if that works for you. The 4E Fighter can use his Daily all he wants. He just fails after the first try.
Mustrum, I thought the same thing. Didn't you or me even post it already upthread?

Everything you're giving an example of isn't the player taking authorial stance though, they are still making the decision and controllling only the actions of their PC.
I think this is a standard definition of stances:

*In Actor stance, a person determines a character's decisions and actions using only knowledge and perceptions that the character would have.

*In Author stance, a person determines a character's decisions and actions based on the real person's priorities, then retroactively "motivates" the character to perform them. (Without that second, retroactive step, this is fairly called Pawn stance.)

*In Director stance, a person determines aspects of the environment relative to the character in some fashion, entirely separately from the character's knowledge or ability to influence events. Therefore the player has not only determined the character's actions, but the context, timing, and spatial circumstances of those actions, or even features of the world separate from the characters.​

[MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION]'s example of the chandelier is Author stance: the player decides that it would be cool to have his/her PC do a stunt, and then (retroactively) decides that his/her PC wants to do something stuntish. My own view is that most RPG players switch between actor and author stance all the time, and neither has anything to do with 1st vs 3rd person narration (you can do either with either).

I also have no problem at all stepping back from my character, and saying, "You know what? The optimal / rational / smart in-character decision is probably [X]; but I think it will take the game in a more interesting direction if I do [Y] instead. Is [Y] something that makes me look like a jerk to the other players? Nope? Okay, can I come up with a reason why my character might do [Y]? Uh ... yeah, I can see that. Fine then - my character does [Y]."

It just boggles the mind that people not only will not do that themselves, but seem to think that it cannot be done at all without somehow transforming the experience into "not roleplaying."
This is quintessential author stance. I don't think it's very controversial that this is part of RPGing.

A well-known example of director stance from 4e is (pre-errata) Come and Get It: when the player decides to use the power, the NPCs close on the PC even though the PC has no power (ingame) to influence their behaviour. Most of the complaints about CaGI as "mind control" seem to miss this feature of the power, and to assume that its use must be an instance of author or actor stance.

In AD&D, every time the player of a cleric writes down his/her 3rd or higher level spells for the day without checking with the GM, we have director stance too: because (per Gygax's DMG) the player has decided that the servitors of his/her god, whom the PC has no power over within the gameworld, have granted his/her requests for spells.

To explain why the CaGI director stance is controversial, but the AD&D director stance is not controversial, is not trivial, though I think there are important differences (one is part of action resolution, the other part of day-to-day PC build; the GM has a veto power over the AD&D player's decision, but not the 4e player's; etc).

Me, reading the theory: But that means that the player can't interact with the game world. The player can't make choices based on what's happening in the fiction.
Me: Oh, okay. Yeah. I've been thinking about that a lot lately. Why didn't you say that in the first place?
I think this issue of fictional positioning is important. And I think 4e takes a particular approach to fictional positioning: keywords are very important to it, and in combat some parts of the fiction (eg details of facing, weapon technique used, etc) aren't relevant to action resolution. In skill challenges, it relies heavily on the GM to adjudicate the details of the fiction.

But I'm not sure that this goes to the "dissociation" issue, because that doesn't seem to be about fictional positioning. As best I can tell, the anti-dissociation view is that no decision should be made by the player which does not correlate to a decision by the PC (the reverse is permissible - the PC decides to strike high or low, even though the player doesn't have to). Which is why what puzzle me is that D&D hp pass this test, or initiative - because, as I posted upthread, when the player decides to act based on knowledge of his/her PC's hp total, or rolls initiative, what is the PC doing in the fiction?

It's also worth noting that actor vs author stance is irrelevant to "dissociation", because a player can make a choice in author stance and still have it correlate to a choice by the PC. But director stance is ruled out. And so are any mechanics that have no stance at all, because don't bear upon the content of the fiction at all (initiative would be one example, I think).

Every RPG has rules abstractions and meta-game mechanics. The effects of these on you and your group are entirely entirely subjective.

Some systems have more, some have less, the only question is how your group manages them, and the kind, degree, frequency, and principle of the mechanics in question as they relate to your style.

In other words, "dissociation" only exists because a group accepts a particular belief about how action resolution should happen, and is most common in groups that adhere to "simulationist" / pure process resolution models.
I agree with this.

I don't dispute that 4e has distinctive mechanics compared to some earlier versions of D&D - especially, more metagame and more director stance in the "active" aspects of action resolution. My objection to the "dissociation" idea is that (i) it is pejorative in tone, and (ii) it misses innerdude's point that it about personal and group responses to game systems, rather than objective truths about their suitability for RPGing.

Part of the point of my example of the paladin and the polymorph is to try and show, via a concrete actual play example, that metagame, director-stance, "dissociated" mechanics are completely consisted with "inhabiting" and playing one's PC, provided that the players take them in their stride. (As my player did.)

I stumbled on to something [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] said in the old "dissociation" thread that made absolutely no sense to me at the time. pemerton, I just want you to know, that the following quote now makes PERFECT SENSE
I'm glad I ended up making sense to you!

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
Yet essentials were billed as the new evergreen corebooks... that seems like replacement to me... regardless of how you actually chose to use them.
My own view is that Essentials is an unstable mix of marketing ("new onramp", "evergreen product", etc) and gameplay (essentially errata plus splatbooks for 4e).

From either point of view they're poorly put together - absurdly padded with contentless, woolly flavour text, duplication of content across books, etc.

Some worthwhile content in my view (though I know some others disagree eg [MENTION=996]Tony Vargas[/MENTION]), but the editors and marketers did a really poor job in my view.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Some worthwhile content in my view (though I know some others disagree eg [MENTION=996]Tony Vargas[/MENTION]), but the editors and marketers did a really poor job in my view.
I find /some/ worthwhile content in Essentials, specifically in the RC (skill challenges) and MV (MM1 monsters updated to MM3 standards, occasional gems in the "woolly flavor text").

HotFL, HotFK, and the post-Essentials HoS, OTOH, are mostly toxic.

Herschel

Adventurer
I don't really regard these as two completely separate editions. They seem to share a lot more in common than 4e and 5e do. If you want to dig deep into .5's, then surely you must consider 4-Essentials to be 4.5, and thus we're back to 4.5e being the shortest of the editions (1 year?) and 4e to be close on its tails (2 years?). Whens speaking of market share, it wasn't 3e that saw them loose the spot as the world's [URL=http://www.enworld.org/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 [/URL] tabletop game.

You miss my point, what I'm saying is we can go back and forth all day, you say toma(y)to, I say toma(h)to. I was responding to an earlier post. 3E and 3.5 were separate editions because much of the information in 3.5 superceded 3.0, where Essentials didn't supercede anything in 4E, and not just in available products but also in characters already in-play. If I'm playing in a game with Essentials, I don't need to change my regular character to fit (or to not awkwardly fit). From 3.0 to 3.5 many did. They weren't that far apart, but again the new superceded the old.

My point was ultimately that sales data can't be used as a metric for whether or not an edition was a solid ruleset enjoyed by millions.
Who said it was? The fact remains the company doesn't give a whit about a solid ruleset, they care about rate of return and sales. For another example I give you reality TV. Network execs see the cost/return numbers and don't care it's not quality or creative, only that it makes them money.
Game designers are inherently tinkerers, so when sales data comes to them that tells them to get started on the next e or next .5 because they need a new sales spike, they can't help but react to the game that exists and change it into something that reflects their own take on the goals for the redesign.
By your definition designers certainly aren't waiting for sales data or direction, they've got ideas still in the bucket not introduced with the last product and stuff they're coming up with all the time. (We'll come back to this)
One of the lessons learned with 4e seems to be that if you only include the goals of one insular group of people in Washington State who play the game in a particular way (or think it can be marketed most profitably in a particular way), it's going to loose you a whole lot more than it gains.
If you believe this I've got some ocean front property in Iowa you may be interested in. They had outside input as well as market research. They weren't a bunch of dummies cooped up ignoring the outside world.
That seems very cynical to me. I see no reason not to take what WotC says at face value. They're putting an insane amount of time and money on the line if it's just a marketing stunt, and what's more, the feedback seems to be heard and responded to (see: Combat Superiority).
It's realistic and not really cynical.
1. WotC heard all the gamers decrying about how 'other companies gave us a public playtest because they care about us' stuff and they thought "hey, we can use that". It's good PR.
2. This introduces new concepts and rules more gradually in to the market. From that standpoint, those that may be more reluctant to change aren't given such a "jarring" transition.
3. If you think Combat Superiority is something they came up with only after feedback lets talk about that Iowa property. Mearls and Co. have a bucketload of stuff they want to introduce just waiting. They're bright guys.
4. Marketing is often the most expensive part of a product when all is said and done.
You also seem to be conflating two groups of people. I don't think those who complained about 3e are, in most cases, the same people that complained about the changes that 4e brought.
Yes and no. I'm not claiming it's a majority, but there's definitely a group there. It's more like a Venn Diagram than overlapping groups.
I think selection bias has perhaps clouded your view of all the people who want a Vancian Wizard, and also your view of all the ways WotC has at their disposal to give those who want a variant, a variant.
Doubtful. People want Vancian Wizards for different reasons, I'm not claiming otherwise. I do think they should not have Vancian Wizards as core (or any system past at-wills) but have that module in the first product offering.
5e is modular, after all, and they've explicitly stated that alternate spell systems is something they want to include.
And I agree with that. I think they should. I also think that it should be set up as alternate spell systems should not supercede anything in the core system but handled as add-ons.

Remove ads