D&D 5E With Respect to the Door and Expectations....The REAL Reason 5e Can't Unite the Base

I like a bit of good process-simulation play from time to time. It's very much a minority preference as a percentage of my play, but when you want it, nothing else really matches. I simply can't imagine using any version of D&D to scratch that itch. Sure, 3E caters to it noticably more than other D&D versions, but all versions of D&D are so far down the scale compared to Fantasy Hero (drifted slightly) or Runequest or countless other games ... sheesh! To me, arguing D&D version for process-sim is like arguing whether asparagus or Brussel sprouts make better desserts--when there's perfectly good ice cream, cookies, and pie sitting right over there. And I like vegetables ... as vegetables. :D

I cannot XP but this one is "right between the eyes". I too can enjoy some granular, gritty, coherent Process Sim but DnD does not deliver the goods. When I play DnD I try to leverage it where I can (the few places it stands up to scrutiny)...and forgive it where I cannot (which is a huge portion of the time!) and in-fill with post-hoc narrative or gamist rationale...or just disregard it entirely!

We all know you don't understand it. I think the fact you don't is at least partly why you don't mind it. Thats a theory of course. But just to educate you. Those of us who do get it are on the same page. It's either a precise real thing or its the great collective consciousness event in all history. Call in the parapsychologists.

This is slightly overstepping given that the JFK Assassination is the most thoroughly investigated case in all the history of the world...with a mountain of evidence to confirm:

- Lone assassin
- Lee Harvey Oswald
- From 5th Floor of the Texas School Book Depository Building
- With 6.5 mm Carcano Rifle

And no credible evidence of any conspiracy...of any kind. Yet, extraordinarily, the majority of people in this world believe that it was a conspiracy. This mass delusion is predicated upon ignorance, outright lies, gross distortions, unphysical understanding of what happened (the "Magic Bullet" meme), the the perpetuation of incoherent cultural memes by way of the conspiracy peddlers. Pretty much all of these people have read a conspiracy book or seen JFK yet none of them have read The Warren Commissions report (not even the abridged version) nor do they know (or care) that the painfully incorrect finding, based on bad acoustic evidence, by the HSC was overturned by the NAS a short 3 years later.

While this is the most extraordinary (in breadth and "wrongness") case of "erroneous great collective consciousness event", the world is full of them...so invoking the fact that a lot of people believe it is not very moving.

One of our issues is terms. I've been using process-sim for the equivalent of anti-plot coupon or anti-dissociative mechanics.

You've used the term "plot coupon" multiple times and how they are averse to your gameplay. I would call non-hard-coded, open-ended Divinations (lacking strict mechanically-driven results) "plot coupons" if there ever was such a thing. The Caster plays the card "Tell me stuff I want to know to solve this plot arc/mystery/conflict" with an expectation of result, often bartering with the DM with either premeditated rational based on leveraging context (either loosely or legitimately) or post-hoc justification. This plays out either as a veto of the "plot coupon" or the administration of the "plot coupon."

I presume you're either

- ok with this form of "plot coupon"

or

- you do not feel it is a "plot coupon" because without any hard-coded mechanics or granular explanation of the "fiction of how magic works" you can rationalize the Cosmic Power of Omniscience as "DnD genre emulation...of DnD."

Could you explain your position on this and be as specific and as precise as you can, please?

Tony Vargas

Legend
We all know you don't understand it.
I understand it fine, I am just not persuaded by it.

Those of us who do get it are on the same page. It's either a precise real thing or its the great collective consciousness event in all history. Call in the parapsychologists.
There are a surprising number of people who believe the earth is flat. They have their story straight, too. There are a lot of people who are firmly convinced of a lot of things /that I can't even mention without violating the CoC/, that most of us normal folk think are crazy, if not downright evil, and they are on the same page.

So, no, circling your wagons around some collective position does not make it right.

Really? And you still get offended when we claim your just playing a board game. Why?
Offense aside, 4e simply isn't a board game. That is a fact.

OTOH, a 6th level magic-user (1e, say, since I used "magic-user") does throw a 6d6 fireball, which does average 21 damage, and does work better if the DM fails some saving throws. (and those, unlike the assertion that 4e is a board game, are facts) So you'll likely be hoping for some low rolls behind the DM screen. That's not what your character is thinking. That's dissasociative.

While the term is new, the phenomenon isn't - it's just using it as an excuse to hate a certain edition of D&D that's new.

Last edited:

Underman

First Post
To me, arguing D&D version for process-sim is like arguing whether asparagus or Brussel sprouts make better desserts--when there's perfectly good ice cream, cookies, and pie sitting right over there. And I like vegetables ... as vegetables
I cannot XP but this one is "right between the eyes".
Uh no, not really, not in an objective sense anyway.

1) The analogy assumes that the ice cream, etc. are equally accessible as the vegetables. They're not. At least not in the mainstream world (where people don't have a cupboard full of dozens of rpgs).

2) It assumes that these other desserts are "perfectly good" and don't have their own problems (too complicated, not playtested as thoroughly, etc.)

3) D&D can clearly act as a faux-dessert or a vegetable (at least this was true until 4E unified the playstyle towards 'vegetable'), sometimes between gaming groups, sometimes within gaming groups, which makes it a better all-round purpose game than others, easier to get all your friends playing together.

4) D&D Next seems to be moving back towards a vegetable/dessert hybrid, and not more towards pure vegetable, which if true, is a real elephant in the room for any 'purist' agenda.

The analogy doesn't hit "right between the eyes", more like pokes me above the left eyebrow :)

pemerton

Legend
That is how YOU interpreted saving throws. I always portrayed the poison going into the bloodstream and the character fighting off it's effects.
So you house-ruled AD&D saving throws. That's fine - you woudn't be the only person ever to drift AD&D in a more process-sim direction than the rulebooks indicate.

But the attack in question is still the attack. It still hits and does damage. Nothing about this is not process-sim.
Huh? What is not process sim is the passage of a minute, the failure to resolve all the other attempted attacks, the failure to resolve any active defences (eg parry, shield block) by the victim of the attack, etc. Shorter rounds, and active defences, are two of the most basic moves that any process-sim combat RPG makes (eg RQ, RM, and I'm pretty sure GURPS, HERO and C&S).

Most players I know saw it as progressive wounds but obviously not linear in effect. Meaning early wounds are light and later wounds are heavier. So if a person with 100 hit points is down to 5 he is bleeding badly. If he is down to 95 then he has a scratch.
But how does the PC who is on 5 hit points know that the next orc attack, if it hits at all, will be a severe wound rather than a scratch? The player knows that because s/he can look at the hit point total on the scratch paper in front of him/her. But how does the PC know? As far as I can tell s/he can't. That is the most fundamental reason why hit points aren't process sim.

XP I admit was completely outside the game. It never enters the minds of characters at all.
Admittedly I was talking about AD&D, where this is ture. In 3E, though, casters can spend it as currency. How does that work for the process sim player?

I believe the process-sim attitude in this case is that the thing in question turned out to be one that could not be handled. Meaning if the gate is too strong to be lifted it's too strong to be lifted. Same for the lock.
And there is your solution to martial dailies. "I tried it again, but this time I just couldn't do it."

Just like, in AD&D, you can try again after a level, so in 4e you can try again after an extended rest.

Now maybe that solution (I hesitate to call it a house rule, because it is not really changing or contradicting any of the published rules text - but if you disagree with me on that, you might think of it as a house rule) isn't palatable to you for whatever reason. That's fine: no one's trying to force you to play 4e. But this is why I don't think there's anything special about the so-called "dissociative" mechanics in 4e, compared to AD&D, except perhaps that 4e has a greater variety of them on the active side.

I believe the game was playable in 1e,2e,3e for people in my camp. 4e was unplayable.
All this proves was that some process-sim lovers stuck to D&D through 3 editions but not a fourth. But what about all the process-sim lovers who quit D&D as soon as they discovered RQ, RM, C&S, GURPS, HERO etc? Does the existence of them - and there were very many of them (at one time, I think ICE was the second-biggest RPG company after TSR, admittedly on the back of its MERP licence) - prove that AD&D was unplayable? Or intolerably narrow in its appeal? All it proves is that some people like somethings and not others.

D&D had sucked up all the simulationist players
Except for those playing the serious simulationinst games out there! Do you have figures for how many people dropped Rolemaster or Runequest for 3E D&D?

In fairness to pemerton, these descriptions come directly from the explanation for saving throw in the 1e DMG.
Thanks. Like you, I can't quote a page number but it's in the discussion of combat rules.

I guess my point, which I didn't really do a good job of making clear, is that old editions allowed for a certain playstyle.

<snip>

I believe game designers in those days were asking - Is this realistic? and not - Is this balanced? or Is this fun?
Different editions can be drifted different ways. But I don't think AD&D is especially broader in the range of playstyles it supports well than is 4e. (It may be broader in its appeal, but that's a different thing. Maybe heaps of people love a rather narrow range of playstyles.)

Others may accept the use of dailies but a dissociative mechanic is a defined thing. And a daily is one. It may not feel dissociative to some people. I'm going by the popular definition of the term. Obviously being dissociated is subjective. But there is a thing called a dissociative mechanic that I suppose is only dissociative for some people. So I'm using it in the proper noun sense.
I'm not sure what you mean by "proper noun" here, but as far as I'm aware there is no "popular" definition of so-called "dissociative" mechanics - as far as I can tell, it is intended to refer to a certain category of metagame-heavy action resolution mechanics, but is not uniformly applied to all mechanics that exhibit the feature in question (eg hit points - how does the PC know the next blow will be deadly rather than a scratch? or open locks - what is the explanation, in the fiction, for a new attempt being possible only after a level has been gained? or attack rolls in minute-long combat rounds - what decision, taken by the PC, does the rolling of the d20 correspond to?)

They are written very process sim. And here is where so many who don't understand dissociative mechanics go wrong. The level of abstraction has nothing to do with it.
As I've said above - what decision, made by the PC, does the player's rolling of a d20 as part of the resolution of a 1-minute combat round correspond to? This is fortune-in-the-middle - you can't narrate it until the dice are rolled and resolution is in train - but martial encounters and dailies are just the same. I mean, whatever narration you use to explain why only one attack has even a chance of getting through in a minute, you can use to explain why only one Rain of Blows has any chance of getting throuh in five minutes!

If you read the fireball spell it is very explicit. What the caster is thinking and the player is identical.
As [MENTION=996]Tony Vargas[/MENTION] posted upthread, one thing that the player is thinking about is rolling his/her d6, and the GM rolling the NPCs' and monsters' saving throws. Is the PC thinking about those things?

In the same way that we assume the PC is not thinking about those things - the mechanical expressions of his/her fictional capabilities and good fortune - so we assume that the PC is not thinking about some deft combat manouevre being an encounter power - which is, likewise, a mechanical expression of the PC's fictional capabilities and good fortune.

I cannot cope with DnD from a strict Process Sim perspective due to the amount of scrutiny that I have put it under which has revealed that its Process Sim efforts are extraordinarily unsatisfactory and will not stand up to objective, unversally-applied standards. Most of DnDs mechanics are not Process Sim "task resolution". They are "conflict resolution" by way of abstraction. Therefore, by definition, Process Sim cannot bear itself out with keen fidelity toward what it is modeling.

<snip>

the position that DnD was premised upon strict, rigid, task-resolution oriented Process Sim and has evolved under those auspices is completely untenable
This is a pretty good summary of my position.

I like a bit of good process-simulation play from time to time.

<snip>

I simply can't imagine using any version of D&D to scratch that itch.
Agreed.

Hussar

Legend
/snip

3) D&D can clearly act as a faux-dessert or a vegetable (at least this was true until 4E unified the playstyle towards 'vegetable'), sometimes between gaming groups, sometimes within gaming groups, which makes it a better all-round purpose game than others, easier to get all your friends playing together.

/snip

See, there, right there, that's what I'm talking about. 4e is no more focused on a single playstyle than any other edition. You took me to task for criticising this, and then you turn around and do the exact same thing.

Put it this way. People have spent a great number of pixels telling all and sundry that their character concept doesn't work in 4e, thus 4e is a narrowing of playstyles.

Ok. Then answer me this. Using pre-4e mechanics, make my warlord. I want a character that had mechanics that allow it to actively control the tactics of the entire party during combat. I want a character that not only can buff, but, can go beyond that and control movement, attacks and incentivise targets over other targets.

But, that's the problem. You can't. Those mechanics simply do not exist in earlier editions. I know because I've been trying to create a warlord (I called it a tactician, but, the same idea) in D&D for well on twenty or thirty years. Generally it meant using bards, but, it still never actually hit the mark.

4e doesn't cater to a more narrow set of playstyles than any other edition. It caters strongly to different playstyles. That I'll totally agree with. And, once you get past people's rather idiosyncratic takes on various editions, you realize that those editions didn't really support their playstyle either, not until they beat it about the head and shoulders with a large mallet and added a boat load of understood and explicit houserules.

The difference is, until 4e, those of us who wanted these other mechanics were largely ignored. We started getting some of it in 2e, but, at least until 4e came out, 2e was the red-headed stepchild of D&D - hated by 1e grognards and derided by 3e fans.

So, no, 4e didn't narrow the play field. It simply recognized what's been there all along - a fairly strong segment of the gaming community that's been trying to do this sort of thing for years. Unfortunately, that has also managed to alienate a rather large segment of the D&D community who has dug in their heels and refused to even acknowledge that other playstyles have ever been part of the tradition of D&D.

Just like you said - all editions before 4e were one way and 4e the other. Thing is, pre-4e, the games were largely geared towards your playstyle and with 4e, it leans more strongly towards mine. The difference is, instead of simply adjusting to it and making the game work, which is what I've had to do for thirty years, people have drawn a very deep line in the sand and refused to budge.

It's ridiculous when you think about it. Adjusting 4e to do process sim is not exactly difficult. Adjust the healing rates, eject the warlord, insist that the flavor text for powers has actual meaning in game and thus must be satisfied before a power can be used, and probably stick to Essentials characters to avoid the whole Daily routine. Done. Because the math is so transparent, you can make these changes and it won't take you several sessions to work out the kinks.

That's the advantage of dissociated mechanics. You can make then associated quite easily. The reverse, unfortunately, is not true.

Underman

First Post
See, there, right there, that's what I'm talking about. 4e is no more focused on a single playstyle than any other edition.
To be clear, I didn't say that 4e was "vegetable". I wrote that 4E moved "towards vegetable". "Unified the playstyle" was a brief way of saying that 4E is better at making D&D deliver "vegetable". So with that clarified, is that a contentious statement? Crazy Jerome said himself that D&D is "vegetable" and not "dessert". I believe that many people have stated that 4E is focused on delivering a certain playstyle at the expense of another playstyle that was lost to 3.5/PF, and that 3E in its heydey had at least two groups of playing at the same time. That's not even my theory, that's what I was reading from other peoples' posts. I hope you're not fingering me specifically for stuff I read from a bunch of other people.

You took me to task for criticising this, and then you turn around and do the exact same thing.
When did I say that? I remember taking you "to task" for reading into things that nobody said or feeling antagonized by mandates that are subjective.

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
Ok. Then answer me this. Using pre-4e mechanics, make my warlord. I want a character that had mechanics that allow it to actively control the tactics of the entire party during combat. I want a character that not only can buff, but, can go beyond that and control movement, attacks and incentivise targets over other targets.

But, that's the problem. You can't. Those mechanics simply do not exist in earlier editions. I know because I've been trying to create a warlord (I called it a tactician, but, the same idea) in D&D for well on twenty or thirty years. Generally it meant using bards, but, it still never actually hit the mark.
Bards fall pretty far clear of the mark, as arcanists or para-druids, yeah. In 3.x there was the Marshal, which was a very disappointing class that was none-the-less leaderish, in the non-healing sense of the role, and the ever-customizeable fighter could take up some 'tactical' slack with some builds. But, yes, though I didn't realize I was doing it at the time, I spent one 3e campaign (1-14th), trying to get something a bit like a warlord out of a multiclass fighter build. It was a fun character to RP, but the mechanics always fell short. The Warlord was really something, opening up a whole range of martial characters that before had been very poorly modeled, if at all.

That's the advantage of dissociated mechanics. You can make then associated quite easily. The reverse, unfortunately, is not true.
I'd think it is, actually, the distinction is mostly attitude. A little re-skinning and oddball choices and you could take tightly-coupled mechanics and make them stand for something their designers never envisaged. The PC might be stunned, for instance to find that, though he's trained all his life to be a 'Samurai' he's actually a Paladin/Monk/Sorcerer... ("But, in the rarefied moment of zan-shin I wield my katana with unerring accuracy!" "Yeah, that's just me having you cast True Strike - and it's just a masterwork bastard sword.")

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
I'm really not seeing how this changes the player's behavior. The check failed in any event whether it was because the dwarf didn't give a convincing presentation or rain made the king flee indoors to keep his suede from being ruined. In either event, assuming the player wants his PC to succeed more often in the future, he's going to invest in his numbers because, in a case narrated either way, it's transparent to the player that his number didn't add up high enough.
This is true only if we assume that the outcome of the situation turns on a single check - an assumption that is not true in combat, and not true in a complex non-combat resolution system either.

If the king goes inside to protect his suede, the player of the dwarf fighter now has further options: to push past the king's guards and go inside too (leverage's the fighter's good stuff - pushing past people - rather than weak stuff - talking to people); to try and drive off the rainclouds (this will work better in some fantasy set ups than others); even to whip out a Daern's Instant Fortress and invite the king to continue the conversation inside.

The difference in the fiction - and therefore, hopefully - the player's willingness (and ability!) to try again - is pretty stark. In the first case, the king is pretty pissed off at your dwarf. In the second case, the king isn't necessarily so.
Exactly. Different patterns of narration open and close different doors for players. My view is that narrating failure at the task due to insufficient skill (especially in social contexts), rather than narrating further complication that leaves the player with room to keep engaging the situation via his/her PC, is a quicker path to a total shutdown.

Couldn't XP you, but this right here. Regardless of how it is narrated... the character still failed because of his roll, and he/she knows that.
Of course. That's not in dispute.

My point, as Patryn of Elvenshae noted, is that different ways of narrating the consequence of a failed check can open up or close of a range of different possibilities.

Furthermore I think continuously narrating failure results that have nothing to do with the character's actual skill level not being up to par can start to feel absurd and even silly.
Perhaps. That is an empirical question. Just as my own experience informs my view about what sorts of narration are more or less likely to shut down situations, and more or less likely to encourage players to engage situations without always just defaulting to their best numbeers, so it suggests to me that this risk is not all that great.

It's not that Bob the Barbarian with his low charisma isn't good at convincing people to do what he wants through words and charm... it's that some strange mishap occurs everytime he tries...

<snip>

do you use a sim-process relationship to approach attributes? What exactly does Bob the Barbarians charisma being low mean? Because in 4e they straight out tell you Charisma is a measure of force of personality, persuasiveness and leadership... How do you relate that to a rain storm causing a low charisma character to fail as opposed to the fact that...well, he has a low charisma?
I'm from the school that treats the character sheet as first and foremost a player resource. A high bonus in a skill or stat means that when you, as a player, declare actions for your PC that leverage that ability, you are more likely to succeed. Conversely, when you delcare actions that do not leverage that ability, you are more likely to fail. The narration of success and failure is a secondary matter, but I tend to follow the Burning Wheel approach of narrating success primarily by reference to the player's declared action for his/her PC, while narrating failure by reference to the player's declared intention.

This tends to preserve the sort of association between CHA attribute and personality that you point to in you post. Players whose PCs have high CHA bonuses will tend to succeed on CHA checks, and therefore get narrations that explain how their strong personalities won the day etc. Those whose PCs have low CHA will tend not to succeed on CHA checks, and therefore will not get such narrations. Thus, the general vibe of play will be that they do not have strong personalities that win the day.

To generalise this: I'm a big believer that the character of a PC, in the fiction, emerges out of play rather than straight off the sheet. What establishes the fighter as a master at the wielding of great honking axes and hammers is not that the PC sheet says so, but that, in play, the player is declaring actions involving those weapons, and is succeeding at them (and having success narrated by reference to the declared task, of beating enemies up with big honking axes and hammers). Conversely, what establishes, in the fiction, that a PC is not very charismatic, is that few or no actions by that PC result in narrations about how his/her force of personality turned the tide of argument or battle.

Concerning failure state, it's true that "looking good in the fiction" will be an incentive to some and totally irrelevant to others. That's why games that really care about this stuff, such as BW, provide other, different kinds of incentives.

<snip>

generally most players will want some kind of incentive, however modest, to take genre-appropriate risks frequently.
In a system like 4e, which lacks some of those BW-style incentives, I use two techniques in combination. One is the approach to narrating failure that I've discussed in this post so far. The other is to narrate situations such that, if the player doesn't take his/her PC into the genre-appropriate risk, the PC will be in a worse position than if s/he does take the risk and fail. That's my version of the Forge technique (which is also discussed in the BW books) of "pouring on the pressure".

It's still a version of "looking good in the fiction", and so isn't going to work for every game and every player. It depends on the relevant elements of the fiction, and the stakes attached to them, being (i) fairly clearly and richly described, and (ii) being important to all participants. In my view, (ii) is related, to some extent, to the notion of immersion. This is partly why I find [MENTION=6698278]Emerikol[/MENTION]'s repeated assertions that so-called "dissociated" mechanics are, as such, a barrier to immersion, bizarre: not only have I posted an actual-play experience that refutes the claim (namely, the paladin-polymorph example), but "dissociated" narration of consequences (the rain-ruining-the-king's-suede failure narration) is a key technique I use to maintain a positive feedback loop that is based on and sustains immersion: pour on pressure, generate player engagement with situation via PC, narrate consequences (both successess and failures) which heighten the stakes and draw the player further in, resolve new check, etc, etc.

It's not the "being there as a spectator of the GM's story" style of immersion, sure. But that's not the only way of being engaged and immersed by RPG play.

My group dropped 4e like a rotten stink bomb after playing it for a while. We gave it a good chance but we couldn't stop laughing at it. Hard to get immersed that way.
Interesting. I posted a bit of actual play upthread - about the paladin who got polymorphed, and then was turned back by his god (as narrated by the player in the course of playing his PC). You still haven't responded to that example, or explained whether or not you think it fits with your claim that immersion is not possible using metagame-heavy mechanics.

pemerton

Legend
The analogy assumes that the ice cream, etc. are equally accessible as the vegetables. They're not. At least not in the mainstream world (where people don't have a cupboard full of dozens of rpgs).
Upthread I was called a snob for saying that Graham Greene's books are richer in thematic content than airport thrillers.

I'm going to risk being called a snob again, I think. But as with the claim about literature, if I'm a snob I'm a sincere one.

Some of us, at least, who are posting in this thread are familiar with a range of games - by playing them, by reading them, or both. Including hardcore process-sim games like Runequest, Rolemaster and the like (the games that the Forge calls "purist-for-system" simulation). And for at least some of that sub-group of players - and I am one of them - I frankly find it jarring to read posts that (i) tell me how great 3E (most often, but sometimes pre-4e D&D in general) is for process sim play, (ii) don't give me any actual play examples to show how they are getting process-sim play out of D&D, and then (iii) go on to say that they're not familiar with RQ, or RM, or GURPS, or Classic Traveller.

Now, I want to emphasise the importance of (ii) above. If someone can give me actual play examples of how mainstream, pre-4e D&D mechanics can serve their process-sim ends, I am very interested in that. And from those examples I'll be able to see whether or not what the person is getting is process-sim play. (Just as I expect people to judge my claims about my 4e game from the actual play examples I post and occasionally link back to.)

But without the actual play examples, when someone says (iii), I personally put a bit of a question mark over their assertion of (i). Because - absent actual play examples - I look at D&D, I compare it to (say) Runequest, and I wonder what degree of process sim it is really delivering!

And then - and this is directly relevant to opne of [MENTION=6698278]Emerikol[/MENTION]'s lines of argument - I start to think that it might be true that people crave process sim, but that doesn't explain D&D's popularity - because D&D isn't all that good at process sim compared to those other games. The explanation, rather, seems to be D&D's prior degree of market penetration - that people don't have cupboard fulls of other RPGs.

I also start to think, maybe people don't really like too much process sim, because it tends to make combat pretty dangerous for mundane personages. Maybe they like a bit of plot protection to go with their proccess sim - hit points, say! But now the same people want to argue that changing the game to grant plot power (martial dailies, etc) as well as plot protection, or changing the pacing consequences of the plot protection mechanics (ie adding healing surges to hit points), is some heretical new thing because it disturbs their process sim?

I can't see the heresy. All I can see is a preference for some techniques over others - like some people really like miniatures, and would use them even in games that don't specificall call for them. And others really dislike them and find they "disrupt their immersion" in the theatre of the mind.

Remove ads