Artemis bridge simulator?

Janx

Hero
While making my pilgrimage to minnesota to game with my very long time friends, i heard about artemis bridge simulator.

It'slike star trek as a Larp as a lan party. Take up the positions on the ship and do star trek stuff on networked computers.

Has anybody else done this?

Janx

Hero
It was fun. We played a session when I got back. I got to be the captain, which is really the position of giving orders and hoping something happens :)

The game moved really fast, as I did not get a chance to get any monologing in.

the weapons officer pretty much took care of business. I'd order us to head toward a red dot, the helmsman would get us there, and he'd open up with weapons as soon as we were in range. None of that slowness of waiting for the captain to issue an order to fire torpedo bay 1.

Engineering got in the way somewhat, for in his quest to optimize energy, he'd throttle the helm to zero and forget to notice the ship was trying to make a course correction in battle. It didn't get us killed, but we could have left it on the defaults and been fine.

Science and Communications jobs seemed a bit hectic as they tried to relay info back and forth to the helm or weapons.

Nytmare

David Jose
Huh. Are there parts of game play that showcased the different positions any? It kinda sounds like the weapons officer was the only person really playing the game.

Janx

Hero
Huh. Are there parts of game play that showcased the different positions any? It kinda sounds like the weapons officer was the only person really playing the game.

That depends on your perspective. I do agree that the weapons position is "front-loaded" in that the job has most of the kick.

The engineer sends out repair teams to fix stuff, and allocates power. Technically he can shut down any of the other stations by denying them power.

the helm steers and that's pretty much it. he needs the coordinates from the science station in order to know what bearing to set for as he only has a local map (short range, rather than the full space sector map).

the science officer gets to scan ships and stuff.

The communications officer gets to hail enemy ships, and command the star bases to make stuff. That's useful for reloading our weapons bay.

In a pinch, you only need the weapons and helm positions, which shows where the imbalance is.

However, the game is evolving, and it is working to add more fun to the other positions.

Since the game is heavily combat focused, the emphasis is on finding the red dots and killing them. We didn't dilly dally about, and so the ship got to each red dot quickly and we killed them quickly thanks to my efficient weapons officer who didn't wait for orders to open fire or raise shields because we were in a wartime situation.

I would have liked to see a variety of activities, like exploring new planets etc.

to be clear, we played the default combat missions. The game can have scripts for new missions added to it, many of which have some star trek flavor to them. We didn't try those.

Janx

Hero
Does it have the ability for player groups to interact with other player groups?

Yup. It does allow for multiple ships. I didn't try it that way, but the feature is there.

the game was designed for the lan party mindset, everybody in the same room, but it can allegedly work over the internet. Setting that up is a bit more complicated as you connect to the host by IP address, which locally is a trivial thing to do, whereas remotely, firewalls and NAT would get in the way.

The feel of the game can vary, based on how your players play it (formal Role-play like star trek, or power-gamer like). I had a power gamer Marine at the Weapons station. He pretty much took care of business before we could RP it out. On the other hand, we kicked butt.

Janx

Hero
We played last night for my birthday party. 3 games/

I got to be captain again. I seem to be doing alright at it, we won, and nobody was mad.

This was with a different group of people, and it was a bit interesting at times. Our first run, we were somehow getting damaged before we even left Deep Space 1. The engineer had a fun time sending Daryls (he named the guys who repair things Daryl) to all the areas.

Once our mysterious damage was resolved (pretty sure it was asteroids). we got under way.

We had to make 2 trips to DS2, as we took heavy fire, killed 2/4 of the ships and retreated to DS1 for repairs. Then we returned to DS2 and took out the remaining 2 cruisers with a Nuke. Sadly, DS2 didn't survive.

We used a Light Cruiser for the first mission. Then we upgraded to the missile boat (think BSG). Things were easier...

The crew was a bit more flustered than my last command. My wife ran helm, and Science getting wrong headings. I almost suspect a network glitch with one of the stations getting wrong data as it's not hard to read a number of the screen and it's not hard to turn the ship until its pointed at that number.

On the third mission, my wife switched to Comms, and actually liked it better, saying it was less hectic.

Everybody had fun. I still think Comms and Science are the step-children of the game, but they may be good for the more casual players who want to participate, but aren't "into video games" as much.

Last year we ran v1.60. This year was 1.70. I was going to try running the Star Trek mods (skins, names), but those files didn't transfer over when I copied it to the other PCs with a USB stick.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases