Top 5 RPGs--Spring 2012

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
WotC was smart in that it realizes that the hobby is declining. D&D is the most recognized brand so they have been trying to find a working strategy to get new gamers into hobby. This would usually mean D&D.

Two years ago maybe, but with Paizo's Beginner Box, and with Core PF, I've brought in more new players to RPGs, then my entire life's history playing D&D (I know that's anecdotal). WotC doesn't even have an entry product for new players - Essentials certainly is no kind of entry product. D&D is still the most recognized, but for how long? I don't see D&D as the entry game any longer.

The problem has been missteps on finding an effective strategy/game design that will get new players in. The OGL from 3E has come and bit WotC in the butt. With the move to 4E, 3.5 players went to pathfinder. WotC created their own competitor with the OGL (not the best business move.)

Being a 3PP, I'm of the mind that dropping the OGL was the problem, not the OGL itself. Had WotC maintained the OGL, there would be no Pathfinder - there would still be other games like M&M, but no true competitor. The OGL didn't bite WotC in the butt, WotC's decision to drop the OGL is the only biter here.

And I think 4e would have been far more successful had the OGL been maintained. I, as a business man, completely disagree that the OGL in of itself was ever a bad thing for WotC - replacing it with the GSL is what bit them really.

Paizo is basking in the glow of the OGL, they have over 100 3pp's creating products for them. If the OGL was such problem, shouldn't Paizo be affected negatively by it - it's not. Same would be true if 4e was OGL, then D&D wouldn't have worry about becoming a #2 RPG company, like they seem to be right now.

So now WotC has big problems for the new edition. It needs to get its 3.5 players back, keep its 4E players, and try to attract new players to the hobby. That is a lot to expect for 5E.

I don't expect it to be any better than 4e's success. Initially sales should be good, perhaps the first year or so, then it will fall back to where it is now in comparison to current competition. I could definitely be wrong, but nothing about DDN makes me think otherwise.

I see WotC trying to mimic what they did with 3E launch. 2E was a failure in terms of sales compared to 1E. 3E managed to get a lot of attention, bring in many old gamers, and managed to bring in a lot of new gamers to the hobby in the early 2000's (before WoW came about). I don't see them being able to do it with 5E.

Honestly, I think they should go back to the strategy of 1977. You put out a Basic D&D for new players. It is very simple and designed to get new players into the game. Then you put out an Advanced D&D. AD&D is designed as a 3.75 to get 3.5 players back from Pathfinder and keep their 4E players.

I can much more agree with this part, though (except the part about getting back players from Pathfinder, that is doubtful).

Last edited:

Being a 3PP, I'm of the mind that dropping the OGL was the problem, not the OGL itself. Had WotC maintained the OGL, there would be no Pathfinder - there would still be other games like M&M, but no true competitor. The OGL didn't bite WotC in the butt, WotC's decision to drop the OGL is the only biter here.

I tend to agree. OGL is a fantastic business model - but.... you have to stick wtih it. Once you build that base, getting out is going to be heck. Who all bailed because of the GSL - Necro, Paizo, Goodman did a few, but then he stopped.

Some of the biggest names of the 3rd era. If the OGL had maintained and been embraced then Paizo would be where it is.

wrightdjohn

Explorer
Compared to any rpg game ever written except D&D, 4e D&D is wildly successful. I think compared to D&D pre-4e it was not. Thats just my opinion based upon WOTC's behavior towards the product and of course the sales figures we do have. And Pathfinder being 5% above or below D&D 4e really wouldn't change my mind any. The size of Pathfinder alone is significant. Along with the zillions of retroclones. Perhaps all those other products are part of the cause but I'm only discussing the end result not why.

Also the quality of a game is totally subjective. The only objective standard perhaps is sales but I could give a flying fig about any objective standard. If me and my group love 5e and the entire rest of the world hates it and burns the books in effigy, we'd still play it. Who cares right? I hope 4e fans feel the same way about their game. This is entertainment. If a movie that I know I'll hate is popular do I go anyway? Or do I go to the less popular movie that I actually like? I know what I'd do. So hopefully whatever the popularity of 4e is and I leave that to your own opinions, does that really influence your choice of game?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases