Order of the Stick 859: Smoked

What is the spell? Holy Word I guess.

However I was waiting for:
Durkon: "HOLY"
Bad Chaps and Chapesses: "S**t!"

In 3E speak does Holy Word work on targets of higher HD than Durkon's level? And I guess that is bye bye to Sabine for 24 hours. It is a long time since 3E for me, I am dragging this out of a old brain, help a fella out!

Squire James

First Post
Durkon likely has the Good domain, since he has cast Holy Smite and back in 3.5e days that spell only existed in the Good domain (i.e. it wasn't in the normal Cleric list). If he does, spells with the Good descriptor gain +1 caster level. This means Holy Word will still blind characters of Hit Dice equal to the cleric's level, and this appears to be what happened to most of them. Tarquin looks deafened (meaning he's exactly one level higher than Durkon), and that condition doesn't usually affect non-casters much. Sabine, of course, is likely knocked off the Prime Material entirely and unable to return for 24 hours (she doesn't strike me as someone who can make a Will save at -4 against a high-level spell DC).

Most of the Linear Guild is stumbling around deafened and blinded in a cloud of smoke. This will make coordination of battle... difficult.

MarkB

Legend
Not to mention one of my favorite bard tricks Elan could buff Holy Word with an Inspire Greatness.

I'm not sure how that would apply here. It would grant extra Hit Dice, but I don't think they would increase Durkon's caster level, as that's equal to the number of levels of Cleric he has, not his total hit dice.

Greylock

First Post
I've read the strip a few times of the last couple of days, but just realized that it's a classic movie trope buzz saw in the second panel.

Merging with existing thread. You were one-minute too slow! :)

Takes the fun out of posting these, doing that and this "Oots Golem" thing. I think I'd hate playing with you as DM.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases