Kickstarter Too many Kickstarter projects? Is Kickstarter the new d20 glut?

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
It is awfully generous of you guys to volunteer me for more work! Anything else you'd like done? :D

Well, you've got a WotC guy and a Paizo guy. It's probably never been worthwhile to get a guy for each publisher below the level of those two larger companies but maybe getting a Kickstarter guy might be useful to you?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Well, you've got a WotC guy and a Paizo guy. It's probably never been worthwhile to get a guy for each publisher below the level of those two larger companies but maybe getting a Kickstarter guy might be useful to you?

These guys cost money! :)

IronWolf

blank
These guys cost money! :)

Maybe see if you can reinstitute the newshound position and toss the person chosen for digesting and focusing on Kickstarters gets a free copper or silver subscription. Still costs you some money, but not a lot and eases the workload.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Maybe see if you can reinstitute the newshound position and toss the person chosen for digesting and focusing on Kickstarters gets a free copper or silver subscription. Still costs you some money, but not a lot and eases the workload.

So - find a guy that will do it for a few coffees per year? Man, you're optimistic! You know this has occured to me, right? ;)

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
What about making it so that kickstarters and similar stuff get condensed into one post each week? Anyone who wants theirs included could just submit it to whoever is in charge, and whoever is in charge might as well rotate through the mods or volunteers?

Really shouldn't be so hard, it's done like that elsewhere.

IronWolf

blank
So - find a guy that will do it for a few coffees per year? Man, you're optimistic! You know this has occured to me, right? ;)

Heh! Well, with some of the perks of the Silver level it isn't an all bad deal if someone on the site happens to already keep up with the Kickstarter world. Craft up a digest post everyday, watch to see what seems to be popular or choose one or two a week to do a focus news blurb on.

pogre

Legend
6 out of 16 of the news items on the front page right now are Kickstarter projects. So I guess the question could be rephrased as: "Is a full third of the news being Kickstarter announcements too much?"

Yes.

Options I would like:
- a round-up of kickstarters; or
- a more select group of kickstarters highlighted

both would cost you either time or money.

If it's a choice between the current state and no kickstarters - I vote no kickstarters.

A couple of days ago I started dodging the front page and going straight to the forums because of the kickstarter stuff.

KidSnide

Adventurer
I agree with the sentiment that the kickstarter announcements are taking up too much space in the news thread. I look to the left of my screen and 9 of the 15 "hottest news items" are kickstarter threads (including this one). I like finding out about new projects, but too few of these announcements generate enough replies to be worth the mindspace they are taking up. I think a weekly summary of RPG-related projects would be a more sensible way of presenting the information.

I don't mind that each of the WotC articles are given a separate thread. I'm not sure that more than half are actually newsworthy, but this is a D&D news site and the uninteresting threads were dropping of the hottest news list fast enough (even before kickstarted started pushing everything off the list).

-KS

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases