Pathfinder 1E Converting the Scout to Pathfinder

WasLostNowFound

First Post
I have been looking around for a while and i've seen several discussions on the scout in pathfinder. i am aware there is a published version somewhere, and a rogue variant as well, but i don't honeslty like those, they don't honestly feel as good as the scout, in fact, i think they decrease the power of the scout.
Personally, i don't believe the scout needs a whole lot of changes to improve it, Skirmish works just fine (in fact, it can actually be pretty damn powerful), and most of the other abilities scouts recieve seem good, i'm just not certain whether any of them need to be updated for Pathfinder and whether or not it needs a capstone ability (blindsight is nice but not all that powerful)...

If you have any ideas, contributions, or comments, please, speak up.

Thank you to all who contribute.

Current suggested problems:
Tumble isn't very good anymore
No longer has HP edge over rogue
No Capstone

Current suggested additions:
Pounce?
Multiple Attacks (3 at 20) when using shot on the run or spring attack?
Rogue Tricks?
Toughness Feat free?
+1 HP per lvl?
Add Base Attack bonus to Acrobatics check when making what was in 3e/3.5e a tumble check?
Keep everything else? (modify skills to reflect changes in pathfinder skills)

Last edited:

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Scout won't work in PF, due to how badly they nerfed tumble. Scout relies on being able to move around the battlefield easily, he cannot do that in PF.

On a side note, his d8 hp was supposed to be an edge over rogue, but you probably couldn't make HD a d10 in PF, so that edge is lost, too.

If scout can use 3E tumble DCs, and you gave them rogue talents (basically, a couple free feats and then a bunch of mediocre stuff), that'd probably be enough to update it to PF. At least, if keeping it about on par w/ rogue was your goal.

I'd go further, myself.

WasLostNowFound

First Post
What if they had a class feature that gave bonuses to Acrobatics (tumble) checks (that scaled with level) in order to balance things out, like say... a scout adds his BAB to any acrobatics check made to avoid an attack of opportunity for moving out of, into, or through a threatened square or a square occupied by an opponent.

I think adding Rogue tricks might be a good things for scout's to have, and let them keep their bonus feats.

As to the Hit Die... perhaps Scouts get an extra health point each level?

Also, perhaps the scout's "capstone" ability is that they can make multiple attacks during a spring attack or shot on the run. Say 3, perhaps? Or perhaps Scouts could gain "pounce" as well or instead of... though pounce only helps Melee...

Current suggested additions:
Pounce?
Multiple Attacks (3 at 20) when using shot on the run or spring attack?
Rogue Tricks?
Toughness Feat free?
+1 HP per lvl?
Add Base Attack bonus to Acrobatics check when making what was in 3e/3.5e a tumble check?
Keep everything else? (modify skills to reflect changes in pathfinder skills)

WasLostNowFound

First Post
That's true, they do. The Ranger is more of the loner all around kinda guy, the scout is a little more party based and or military typed class, with elements of the rogue, it's potentially a very powerful class built right (though i've found taking a few lvls of rogue and a few ranger tends to result in a truely staggering juggernaught, as far as either goes, that is.)

I suppose you could call the scout the true wilderness version of the rogue (as opposed to that offered in Unearthed Arcana)

1Mac

First Post
There's a rogue archetype that swipes Uncanny Dodge with the ability to sneak attack on a charge, then later any time he moves 10 feet or more. They even called it a Scout.

WasLostNowFound

First Post
Wasn't altogether impressed with it, i've seen it before. The Scout's original Skirmish is still better than that is. That version only gets its extra damage for one attack. Scout gets it for everything, even attacks of opportunity. there are multiple ways to let a scout gain multiple attacks in a single round (more with melee than ranged) and skirmish also grants an AC boost. Improved Skirmish makes it even better. Certainly the scout won't deal quite as much damage as a rogue, but the scout doesn't technically need anything special (neither feats nor items) to consistently deal Skirmish, the rogue requires more tricks.

The original scout had Bounding Attack and Rapid Blitz from Player's Handbook 2 to even the score, letting it make what was effectively a full attack action (considering the scout's 3/4ths BAB) AND move. That meant the scout got anywhere from +3d6 damage to +7d6 damage and an AC boost on feats alone... Any DM who allows the scout for Pathfinder can likely be legitamately convinced to include Improved Skirmish, Bounding Assault and Rapid Blitz for the Scout's sake.

i do, however, thank you for the link to it. I was just already against it before i made this post.

Last edited:

Remove ads