Checking Interest - BESM d20 game?

Artur Hawkwing

First Post
Okay, I can't stand it anymore. So, I'm looking to see if I can find 2 or 3 interested souls who might like a fun, light hearted, yet drama filled BESM d20 campaign to play in. I have a few story ideas in mind, but I would like to see if there is any interest before I flesh them out. This would be my first serious run at being a PbP GM so, must also be an understanding sort, which seems to be the norm here. :)

Thumbs up if you wanted to turn to the nearest doorway near you and yell 'NORM!' just now.

Anyway, if there is enough interest, we can nail down what we would like to play and stuff from there. Anyone who hasn't played the d20 version but has played BESM3 might like it as well, can't say. I prefer d20, just because it's not as messy to put a character together.

Anyway, will gauge interest for a few days and take it from there.

Thanks!

AHw

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Don't know what BESM d20 is but will look it up.

What kind of game are you thinking of? Or do you wish the players to have a say?

HM

Artur Hawkwing

First Post
Big Eyes, Small Mouth. Old Guardians of Order system. I'm just looking to run something fun. Nice thing is you can run just about anything from it. I'm willing to run whatever the players might want.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Oh man I love BESM and I am pretty fond of anime in general. But I have too many irons in the fire to run it, and probably too many to play it. But I would love to see what you guys come up with. I once came up with a space-pirate themed BESM campaign where the players would be space pirates aboard a Bird of Fire, enormous creatures that were native to the center of the galaxy and living within the void of space, feeding on interstellar gases to survive and capable of being host to humans and other species who required an atmosphere to survive. In this space opera, humans coexisted with elves, faeries, and other strange creatures in outer space but there was often conflict. Birds of Fire were the primary means of interstellar transportation for all species, with rapid transportation between star systems supported by a system of worm holes which were quite common and created by an ancient alien species that no one knew much about. But the Bird of Fire the players possessed was special. It possessed a mutation that was capable of faster-than-light travel on its own, allowing the players to explore all kinds of different worlds (and get out of sticky situations) much faster than anyone else. Of course such power was highly desirable by everyone else, and so the players were constantly being hunted by those who wanted to breed their Bird of Fire with the hope that the Bird of Fire could spawn progeny also capable of traveling at FTL speeds.

I thought it was a great idea, but most of my players shot it down and we ended up running Mage: The Awakening instead.

drothgery

First Post
Hmm. I might be interested in an anime-themed game, but not a huge fan of BESM d20 (and don't have the books, though the Anime d20 SRD is still online) and don't know enough about the tri-stat version to have an opinion. One the other hand, I have Manga & Mecha for Mutants and Masterminds 2e (and the core rulebook, and some other expansions), and the core rulebook for M&M3.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
I have the M&M3e pdf but am not great with the rules yet but am learning.

Also I was thinking what about a Flash Gordon/Buck Rogers type game?

Or more like what was done on the holodeck of Star Trek Voyager: Captain Proton

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCkLzpRoQrA&feature=related]Star Trek Voyager: Chaotica and Queen Arachnia, 'Multiple Dimensions' .wmv - YouTube[/ame]

HM

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Captain Proton was quite possibly my favorite thing about Star Trek Voyager (okay aside from oogling Seven of Nine). I loved how they did the scenes in black and white, and one of my favorite episodes was the one where the photonic aliens thought the Captain Proton program was a reality.

Jemal

Adventurer
I was a big fan of BESM, and the d20 version in particular was very fun.. but I found it to be really easily unbalanced (Especially with the people I played with). I'd be interested in joining but I think we the players should all make a pact to not make anything too.. 'broken' or 'cheesy'.
I'm not suggesting Power caps like in M&M, they have their own problem of genericizing the game, but I'm sure all of us are mature enough to recognize what is 'going too far' and take a step back.

Right?

Jemal

Adventurer
Question - Were you planning on getting everybody to use the listed classes from the book, or using the optional point-based/classless system or player-designed class system?

fireinthedust

Explorer
I have the stingy gamer editions of both Tri-stat and d20 BESM.

I'm also (as some of you likely remember) a terribly unreliable player right now: my focus is entirely on my writing and for my home game, when not dealing with RL stuff.

However: If those are the sources (or the M&M books, all three editions (well, 1, 2 and DCA)) I can offer some help with rules questions while character gen is being done. I just can't post regularly everyday. :(

But I'd also like to learn about this, as it looks fun.

By Anime one could also attempt to mash up every single anime concept possible: a feudal land where ninja high schools have discovered an army of giant mechas, powered by gun bunnies, and a race of fun-loving animal people... in space!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases