Three Hobbit Films

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Post by Peter Jackson on Facebook -

It is only at the end of a shoot that you finally get the chance to sit down and have a look at the film you have made. Recently Fran, Phil and I did just this when we watched for the first time an early cut of the first movie - and a large chunk of the second. We were really pleased with the way the story was coming together, in particular, the strength of the characters and the cast who have brought them to life. All of which gave rise to a simple question: do we take this chance to tell more of the tale? And the answer from our perspective as the filmmakers, and as fans, was an unreserved ‘yes.'

We know how much of the story of Bilbo Baggins, the Wizard Gandalf, the Dwarves of Erebor, the rise of the Necromancer, and the Battle of Dol Guldur will remain untold if we do not take this chance. The richness of the story of The Hobbit, as well as some of the related material in the appendices of The Lord of the Rings, allows us to tell the full story of the adventures of Bilbo Baggins and the part he played in the sometimes dangerous, but at all times exciting, history of Middle-earth.

So, without further ado and on behalf of New Line Cinema, Warner Bros. Pictures, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Wingnut Films, and the entire cast and crew of “The Hobbit” films, I’d like to announce that two films will become three.

It has been an unexpected journey indeed, and in the words of Professor Tolkien himself, "a tale that grew in the telling."

Cheers,
Peter J

Ahnehnois

First Post
It's hard to say that getting more of Peter Jackson's Middle Earth could be a bad thing.

It also makes plenty of business sense. The actual content of The Hobbit itself is not that substantial, but I guess if they add in enough of the rest of the mythology, they can conceivably make three worthwhile movies.

Honestly, I rather wish they had done this with The Dark Knight Rises; realize that too much was crammed into one movie, split it into two, and made two more fleshed-out films.

So I guess I'm for this decision, even if it is a bit of a surprise.

Kaodi

Hero
I am sure it will make for a good film studies thesis in the future: How do three long books made into three long movies compare to one short book get made into three movies?

Herschel

Adventurer
Peter Jackson: "You know, there's plenty of material to make a third film if we add stuff from The Similarion and other Tolkein works, what do you guys think?"

New Line Execs:"I have the casting people and contract lawyers on speed dial for any additonal footage needed. Ka-Ching!"

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Not many people can turn to Hollywood and say, "Dudes, I need another huge-budget film! Do you mind?" and have them just line up and say, "Yeah, sure, no problem!"

I do wonder a little bit of what, exactly, they are going to include. "The rise of the Necromancer" is not detailed in the original work - my recollection is that it is largely a footnote in the Hobbit, used to get Gandalf out of the way so Bilbo can become a hero. So, they're going to be largely making that stuff up. Jackson has been good at adapting, but this is a bit beyond that.

There is plenty of background for who the Necromancer/Sauron is, but that's all Silmarillion stuff. How far back are they going to go?

messy

Explorer
i thought the lord of the rings films were too long, and now this? the hobbit could be a great two-hour film. this is way too much. :erm:

Croesus

Adventurer
Not many people can turn to Hollywood and say, "Dudes, I need another huge-budget film! Do you mind?" and have them just line up and say, "Yeah, sure, no problem!"

I do wonder a little bit of what, exactly, they are going to include. "The rise of the Necromancer" is not detailed in the original work - my recollection is that it is largely a footnote in the Hobbit, used to get Gandalf out of the way so Bilbo can become a hero. So, they're going to be largely making that stuff up. Jackson has been good at adapting, but this is a bit beyond that.

There is plenty of background for who the Necromancer/Sauron is, but that's all Silmarillion stuff. How far back are they going to go?

Yeah, this is my concern. My least favorite parts of the trilogy tended to be when PJ added to Tolkien's story (some of his stuff was good, some was terrible, a lot wasn't really Tolkien). I'm also wondering if the first two movies will still contain the complete Hobbit story, with a third movie for the extra stuff, or is he stretching Tolkien's story across three movies.

Personally, rather than a third Hobbit movie, I wish he would do one or more movies on the fall of Numenor, the Last Alliance of Elves and Men, and the first fall of Sauron (when Isildur cuts off the ring). That story could easily cover at least a couple good movies.

Gorgoroth

Banned
Banned
I

am very pleased by this news! ecstatic in fact!!

three cheers for three hobbit movies! The Dwarves (especially Thorin Oakenshield) in the Hobbit made me who I am today, they sparked my imagination as a young lad and led me to a fantastic career in RPG videogames and D&D playing is a part of it, thanks to Tolkien taking over my soul.

let us give praise

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'm 99% cool with this news.

The 1% of this is the part dreading that Peter Jackson has been dominated by the same creature from the Far Realms that has consumed the soul of George Lucas...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases