Help me list spells that make skills irrelevant.

Empirate

First Post
Well, in my game, autumn leaves or a gravel floor would impose penalties on Move Silently checks. Flying would negate the penalties, but not the need for a check itself. If the character were also naked at the time... sure, I'd give a big bonus for that roll. But it's not as if this were foolproof. You can still bump into things or sneeze (if you roll really poorly, that's how I'd interpret it). Note that even some real-world animals (owls, bats) have ears so good they can hear you breathe, or even hear your heartbeat, while you're still two dozen meters away.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
I've done a throughout search on D&DTools for spells that mention skills and handpicked those which qualify and not yet listed here. At least, I was doing that until I grew bored. I hope all of them are to your liking!:)

Balance: Balancing Lorecall(use Balance in place of Climb), Ice Skate(Balance on ice), Rooftop Strider(run and charge on slopes), Surefoot, Sea Legs(succeed on checks automatically), Walk the Mountain's Path(not slowed by slopes)
Bluff: Insightful Feint(to feint in combat), Mimicry(to replicate other's voice),
Climb: Easy Climb(roughens surface) Walk the Mountain's Path(climb speed)
Disguise: Beastmask(animals see you as animals), Consume Likeness(evil only, drains own wisdom), Crawling Darkness(hide features), Crown of Veils, Deceptive Facade, Shroud of Undeath(disguise as undead), Seeming, Veil
Intimidate: Divine Presence, Towering Oak, Voice of the Dragon

Very much to my liking! Thank you sir for not only looking them up, but providing the links. Since some of these spells affected multiple skills, I've applied some of your suggestions even more broadly.

First post updated.

Empirate

First Post
While the Jump spell doesn't make the skill obsolete, in that it merely adds 10 to it, it comes close.
09dh.jpg
09ht.jpg
09ax.jpg
09jh.jpg
09bh.jpg

And that's why it's already in the OP!

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Necro'ing my own thread with the addition of Master's Touch, somehow I managed to miss that spell the first time around and it's kinda vital to the OP.

So, An Archivist3 possessing the following 3 spells: Divine Insight, Weildskill & Master's Touch can, in 2 rounds, provide a +17 bonus to a single skill, ANY single skill (Even the unusual ones, doesn't matter if it's in-class or requires being trained or not, since Wieldskill makes you trained in it. Lucid Dreaming anyone?), followed by 1 round actually using the skill. Since Divine Insight provides a 5+caster level bonus up to +15, the bonus only goes up to a +24 by level 10.

Add in a single level of Wizard if you want to cast Loresong which provides another +4 for a minute long casting time, but at this point it's kinda redundant.

Then you add in the appropriate spell from the extensive list that addresses the specific skill, if in fact you still need to boost (Instead of just bypass), and this gets kinda ridiculous kinda fast.

...This kinda makes me want to cry. I feel like I kicked a baby Rogue & took away his candy. All of his candy.

Last edited:

Dozen

First Post
(Even the unusual ones, doesn't matter if it's in-class or requires being trained or not, since Wieldskill makes you trained in it. Lucid Dreaming anyone?)
Fun fact: I nagged D&Dtools to get Lucid Dreaming up there!:D

...This kinda makes me want to cry. I feel like I kicked a baby Rogue & took away his candy. All of his candy.
... Compile them some assassin skill buffs! They will just love the Sa- Sadism and Masochism spells?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases