Help me list spells that make skills irrelevant.

emanresu

First Post
I have not played a rogue before and now that I said I'm making a Beguiler/rogue (gestalt campaign) I feel ....cheated. Yah, I feel more like I'm stuck with the rogue build, more than "gees I get to try something new here whoopi"! My wind is officially out of my sails. (enter sad face little yellow thingy).

Some of these spells just make dedicating a class to be a skill monkey,..?,...well its for the mundane, the commoner, the havenots, you know, the muggels of the world. For the elite, those with abilities/magics up-n-beyond that of the common muggels, its outright futile. Now I feel that every level of non spell caster class I take weakens me, and I dont want to feel that way. I always build for flavor, so it angers me to say, the rogue-she a no tasten good!

I will start another thread on my beguiler/evil/female/human build, as of now I am back to the drawing board! Ide appreciate any input help on that build, pre thanks

Eman

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
I have not played a rogue before and now that I said I'm making a Beguiler/rogue (gestalt campaign) I feel ....cheated. Yah, I feel more like I'm stuck with the rogue build, more than "gees I get to try something new here whoopi"! My wind is officially out of my sails. (enter sad face little yellow thingy).

Some of these spells just make dedicating a class to be a skill monkey,..?,...well its for the mundane, the commoner, the havenots, you know, the muggels of the world. For the elite, those with abilities/magics up-n-beyond that of the common muggels, its outright futile. Now I feel that every level of non spell caster class I take weakens me, and I dont want to feel that way. I always build for flavor, so it angers me to say, the rogue-she a no tasten good!

I will start another thread on my beguiler/evil/female/human build, as of now I am back to the drawing board! Ide appreciate any input help on that build, pre thanks

Eman
Sorry man. This threat started as a theoretical exercise in how spells can substitute skills and not in any way to tell anyone how they should play a character.... but yeah, it's pretty easy to look at this list and not want to play a skill monkey ever again. Some of these spells are only accessible to divine or arcane casters, but it ends up being silly to think a Mystic Thurge can be a better rogue than a Rogue could be... but it really could, in theory and/or refined practice.

However, mundane applications of skills have a few benefits over the magical: no limits per day, no need to choose/prepare only select skills at the start of the day, no worries about Anti-magic, no worries about the NPC being irritated that you cast a spell on him in a social situation, etc. The Wizard still has the ability to be a better damage dealer than the Barbarian...a few times a day, and the expense of other types of spells. That doesn't make the Barbarian obsolete at hitting things.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases