People you like that you've never met

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Sometimes, you hear of someone who does something good, and you think, "I don't know them, but I like them for this."

Take, for example, billionaire tech investor Yuri Milner. He's established the "Fundamental Physics Prize". He's handed out nine prizes, of $3 million each to people who have done good work in physics, and then gotten those winners to sit on a committee to choose future winners of the prize.

FPP

In Nature, he's quoted as saying, "[my] intention was to say that science is as important as a shares rating on Wall Street."

I like Yuri.

Who do you like?

Dioltach

Legend
I've been following Great British Menu since it first started, and I've really come to like Irish chef Richard Corrigan. His passion for food is so clearly evident, but that never seems to stand in the way of his sense of humour and general friendliness.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
Richard Branson and Richard Garriott are two of my favorite people whom I've never met. I'm not sure if it's just coincidence that they're both involved in space exploration or just because Richard Branson is crazy-awesome in his craziness. Of course, Richard Garriott IS Lord British, but he's also been to space...and has a frickin' castle in Texas.

Mordane76

First Post
Neil deGrasse Tyson - I could listen to him speak for hours; he's incredibly intelligent, but he when he speaks I understand astrophysics... and I'm not an astrophysicist. I'm no slouch... but I'm not Neil. Also, his political contributions fight for the advancement of science and science education in America make him one of my heroes.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Yeah, I like him a lot. Dr. Michio Kaku is another one who is both charismatic and clear in his presentsions. There is also this youngish Brit whose shows I've watched on occasion- his name escapes me- and I think he's in the same vein as well.

Nellisir

Hero
In a different venue, Pink. She seems to be one of the few (or the only) female pop stars that came out of the late 90's/early 00's with integrity and professionalism. She writes good stuff, has a sense of humor, and stays out of the tabloids. I don't know if we'd be great pals, but I respect her.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Yes, it's gaming related, but Monte Cook's works really resonate with my style of preferred campaing settings - traditionally "non-traditional". :)

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
Like like how?

Because there's the "I'm very much a fan of whatever that guy's doing (but might not actually see myself personally liking the person)" and "There's this guy out there in the ether that I think I'd enjoy the company of".

The first category having, for example, Steve Jobs, while Kevin Smith is prime candidate for the latter one.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Like like how?

Well, I don't mean like like like like. I mean like, well, like.* You know, have a favorable disposition towards, get the impression they're a hoopy frood who knows where his towel is.

*Yes, these sentences should be taken out and shot. :p

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases