Former Wizards of the Coast CEO Launches New RPG Company

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Peter Adkison, former owner of WotC and current owner of Gen Con, has launched Hostile Work Environment. This nontraditional RPG company focuses not on bringing out books and modules, but on creating online films to bring roleplaying adventures to life. The company's focus is filming, narrating, and illustrating roleplaying games online.

"I couldn't be more excited about Hostile Work Environment! Roleplaying games are my passion and through my new company, I'm creating ways for people to experience RPGs that will resonate with long-time players and new audiences alike."

The company's first production, The First Paladin, tells a story based on a Dungeons & Dragons campaign set in the world of Chaldea, one of Adkison's own creations.

Film journalist and producer Kim Voynar will join Adkison at the company. Voynar has been managing editor and film critic at AOL’s Cinematical and features editor and film critic for Movie City News, as well as producing the short film White Knights, and producer/writer/director of Bunker, another short.
Voynar will produce the company’s website and its first project, a web series dedicated to a Dungeons & Dragons campaign titled The First Paladin, set in Adkison’s world of Chaldea.

"The launch of The First Paladin web series is just the first step in what I expect will be many opportunities to explore ways to both interact with gamers dynamically in shaping stories, and to create entertainment across a variety of platforms including producing short and feature films for this specific genre market," adds Adkison.

Attachments

• adk.jpg
    adk.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Curious. Doesn't sound quite like an "RPG Company," but it's interesting. I think it's hilarious that he called it Hostile Work Environment. :)

varden

First Post
Curious. Doesn't sound quite like an "RPG Company," but it's interesting. I think it's hilarious that he called it Hostile Work Environment. :)

This Salon.com article should explain why he chose "Hostile Work Environment."

Death to the Minotaur - Salon.com

"And then, late at night, a bunch of us piled into a dark room and played Truth or Swill...
Truth or Swill is one of those elemental games people play to break down social barriers. Each player in turn asks another player a personal question, and the player either answers truthfully or has to drink a shot of some crazed liquor swill. The questions typically deal with sex, in an ever-descending spiral of lewdness and intimacy...
Basking in shoulder-to-shoulder solidarity with his employees, Peter Adkison rattled off his workplace sexual encounters, both actual and desired...
On Monday morning, I was summoned to a private meeting. Peter was there...
After the meeting, the board of directors reprimanded Peter and docked him a month’s salary.
Management believed Peter had jeopardized the entire company with his behavior, the very behavior that the rest of us at the party thought was helping to strengthen it. We had little conception of sexual harassment laws, hostile work environments and all the other issues of the modern workplace."

Anyway, great name for the company!

Last edited:

This just makes me sad. I respect a lot of what Peter Adkison did for D&D, and for the "adventure gaming" hobby more broadly with Magic. But the name of the company is just stupid and offensive, and their plan sounds ridiculous. Perhaps I'm wrong and The First Paladin and future projects will be worthwhile, but I really doubt it. Well, I guess one of the benefits of having gotten fabulously wealthy from Magic is that he can afford to fritter away his money on vanity projects.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases