Total Recall (2012)

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Total Recall (2012) - IMDb

I liked it better than the first one. It felt much more gritty. The casting was excellent even though I was skeptical of Bryan Cranston as an "action" star. Colin Farrel showed more depth than I normally see in him, while Kate Beckinsale and Jessica Beil were both top notch. The setting was phenomenal. :)

Mallus

Legend
Huh... my original thought was, "No Mars, no go", but maybe I'll give it a shot.

Strangely enough, I'm excited about the new Dredd.

Definitely grittier than the first, not as "cartoonish" in its action and the sets didn't LOOK like sets. In that regard it owes much more to Blade Runner than the original Total Recall. At times I almost felt confused about what remake I was supposed to be seeing. However, it was written almost entirely as an action movie and dealt very superficially with the element of the story that is supposed to make it interesting - what we perceive as reality as opposed to what IS reality. There were some plot and story holes that were hard for me to overlook. Though perfectly serviceable as an action movie I was rather disappointed that it didn't actually go DEEPER into having the central character struggling with which "reality" he chooses to believe than the Schwarzenneggar version.

The effects were incomparably superior to the older version of course but I was definitely more emotionally invested in Arnie's struggle there than in Colin Farrel's struggles here. It was well-acted but just was NOT well-written and it suffers a great deal for that. In the end I'm not sure I can rate it ANY higher than I would the original and since that was 20 years ago that's a hell of a knock.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I think one of the problems they run up against remaking this is how many people will be familiar with the first movie. When folks saw the first, many were not familiar with the source material, Philip K. Dick's short story "We Can Remember It for You Wholesale." So, the first movie had only a small percentage familiar with short story and didn't have to worry if the audience would know what twist was coming when and which reality was the realy reality, etc. Add to that the many changes to the short story that the first film makes and there's no telling where the first film was going. Twenty years later, we have a movie with producers, writers, and a director that all know the first movie was widely seen. They know also that a larger portion of their audience might be prone to reading the original story and, even if not, can jump online and find out most of what they might need to know to make some comparisons. I think they were sort of boxed in but managed to honor the original short story, give some nods to the first film, and, realizing they weren't really going to fool anyone with the dual/multiple realities angle, make a very good action movie with effects that don't overshadow the story they did decide to present (with some acknowledgement that it wasn't meant to be all that deep). Honestly, I'm surprised how deep their pockets were regarding the casting budget.

Krug

Newshound
Liked the set design, but it was just a long action flick. It didn't have the satire or black comedy of the original, nor the WTF moments. (Johnny Cab, when Arnie's mask went locl at immigration and the whole thing about the mutants). I don't think the original was a masterpiece, but I found myself quite bored with the remake.

Acting wise it was so-so. I wish John Cho and Bill Nighy had bigger roles.

Last edited:

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I just don't understand why it was even made, other than to try to cash in on the name (which evidently didn't work).

The short story was very short indeed - it pretty much ended at the visit to Rekall. The rest of the original movie was pure invention (other than working in the premise of going to Mars and aliens) and really well done, all in all.

And beyond that, the names they got, while you might have heard of them, aren't exactly A list celebs. Closer to the ones that would appear on The Hollywood Squares. I realize there aren't really any action stars anymore, but still...

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I was surprised how much I liked this re-make, it is a very good action movie, with great casting.

Kate Beckinsale, has always been an enjoyment on screen but as a bad badass henchwoman she out did herself. :D

Oh, it was good to the the three breasted lady! ;) Which I was told was NOT in the movie!

Yes, there were some holes but overall, I give it a solid 8!

frankthedm

First Post
I was surprised how much I liked this re-make, it is a very good action movie, with great casting.
Agree, I LOVED this was a Scif fi movie that LOOKED like with a sci fi movie. The cities were stunning IMHO. Also the electric-tattoos were very neat.
Oh, it was good to the the three breasted lady! ;) Which I was told was NOT in the movie!
Most folks assumed the PG-13 meant no breasts would be shown. Breasts can be shown in PG-13, just not for very long.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases