[LPF] The Forge of Fury, Pt1

perrinmiller

Adventurer
GM: I do believe that I stated in the beginning that I was expecting a higher level of role-playing in this game. If RL gets in the way, drop a quick line or something. But I do not want to see anymore posts containing a single dice roll associated with an active skill check without some narration again.

If you don't have time to write at least 3 sentences (should not take more than 5 minutes), then don't even bother posting at all. I am patient and will wait if the quality is worth it.

If I am not entertained by your posts and writing, then I have no incentive to continue DMing this game. Otherwise I am assuming you all don't care to be playing and I will go do something better with my time.

Here is some advice: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...kshop-Series&p=5985056&viewfull=1#post5985056

Artur Hawkwing

First Post
OOC: The reason I did not put anything in mine is that I was under the impression we were not moving on until we saw if our missing comrade was going to post or not, so I did not add any actions for Marcus when posting the die roll for him. I thought that it was trying to be considerate to our MIA associate to not press on (since I'd just got back on myself from 4 days of Verizon outage) with such until we had a little better idea of what he was up to, since last I saw the general idea was to wait out New Years and see if he returned after that time period. Apparently I was in error regarding that. I will wait out today (since I am going to be afk for a goodly part of the evening I think) and will do a full post tomorrow moving on with Marcus looking for shelter, though I think Iago actually got the better roll

mfloyd3

Explorer
[sblock=ooc]I edited my earlier post. PM, when the bodies are searched, Iago would be looking for any unusual markings or other information about them. Do you want a Perception roll?[/sblock]

DalkonCledwin

First Post
Fae'shiel does her best to attempt to aid the others in searching for a campsite where they can all rest. She takes comfort in the fact that the others seem willing to let her rest a little bit. Hopefully with renewed energy and spirits the group will be more than capable of succeeding in their venture come the morning.

[sblock=Actions]Aid Another Survival Check (if allowable) 1d20 = Result (13)[/sblock]

OOC: I believe Fae'shiel is now legally allowed to level up to level 5. Which if true, I will be wanting to take the time to do that while we wait for a determination regarding whether HolyMan is going to be kept in the adventure or not.

Artur Hawkwing

First Post
Marcus sets about trying to locate a fitting site for a camp, defensible but not so boxed in there is no escape. Beggers can't be choosers in the wilds, though, and he concentrates on comfortable, safe and with available overhead protection should another rain start up. Upon finding a spot, hopefully one suitable for the purpose, Marcus leaves Markas with Fae'shiel and sets out in search of something to augment rations. Fresh water, edible berries, something.

[sblock=ooc]Lemme know what kind of check you need, though I'd think Survival and/or Perception.[/sblock]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Iago has no trouble finding a good defensible campsite off the trail where you can have a sheltered fire that will not be readily visible. Between the depression in a hillside, the boulders and undergrowth, it is unlikely you will be interrupted during the evening and night.

There were no unusual tribal markings on the orcs. The weapons that were of fine craftsmanship could be the work of dwarven craftsmanship, but none have markings that match Fae-shiel's blade.

[sblock=Combat Information]
Code:
Fae'shiel:  33/33 HP remaining; 
Marcus:     35/39 HP remaining;
Iago:       42/42 HP remaining;
Markas:     55/60 HP remaining; 

Spells Cast: Fae 1st Level (3/4), Fae 2nd Level (2/2), Marcus 1st Level (1/4)
Abilities Used: Fae's AP (1/4); Iago's Bombs (3/6)
Conditions in effect:
[/sblock]
GM: Roll the Survival or take 10, up to you, Artur. Finding food is covered under the skill with the DC in the CRB. You can resolve without GM intervention.

[sblock=GM Thoughts]Well, my rule is if a player doesn't announce an absence of greater than 2-3 days, that is all the longer you need wait for them to post. If they did not do the courtesy of announcing their absence, they cannot be mad we did not wait. If you still need to wait for their reply, a short OOC note saying such is appropriate. I do that all the time because I typically post my characters daily if there is something to respond to and my OOC comment of delaying is to announce my not posting that day.

Now, we have waited some time for HM. I gave this some thought today. If it comes to NPCing Markas, I think you should return to town. Particularly as Fae is going to level up. After the first encounter, I realized you are all hurting without a divine healer and your wand of CLW is not going to last as you level up in the dungeon. If I am going to NPC a party member you all would be better served with Ariel instead.

The journey can be off camera and you can roll for another CLW wand for backup if necessary and sell off the unwanted treasure as well.[/sblock]

Last edited:

DalkonCledwin

First Post
OOC: I just want to throw it out there that I really think bringing Ariel into the party specifically, is a horrible idea. I am not against getting us a cleric or oracle or some other dedicated divine caster. But Ariel in particular would be a bad idea due to how horribly her personality would clash with Fae'shiel's. They are both what TV Tropes has dubbed Alpha Bitches and I seriously don't think this party could survive two alpha bitches in the same party. No offense Perrin, I absolutely adore Ariel, but I really do not like this parties odds with both her and Fae'shiel in it.

mfloyd3

Explorer
[sblock=ooc] DC, I'm not sure how to handle your concern about Ariel and Fae'Shiel -- I've had characters run with both, and I don't see any obvious problems. A little inter-party tension can be fine, as long as it doesn't pass the line between byplay and nuisance.

I was thinking much the same thing about the CLW, and as you say, some kind of divine healer would go a long way toward solving problems. I'm sorry to have to write HM out so soon, though perhaps you can think of a contingency to bring him back in relatively quickly if he does come back. Perhaps he could come with us as far as the entrance, and either stand guard, or just get separated in a freak accident? We can always find him later that way.[/sblock]

Artur Hawkwing

First Post
[sblock=OOC]I agree we could use the healing, at the same time, we can use a little extra thump that we would lose with Markas' absence. I'm quite sure Ariel will not have the personality clashes she had with Audra (but man writing those was a blast!), but can she learn to adapt and accept another 'alpha' presence? I think she could. Though Iago and/or Marcus might be filling in as buffers on occasion. If that is the plan we are going to go with, we can return to town, pick up a beast of burden while there, and Markas can remain with the animal at the entrance of the cave. Should HM return, he could get a terrible feeilng of doom for his associates and make a decision to stay with the pack animal or come to our aid. Which would leave us with a healer/meatshield and a meatshield. Marcus is not really suited to melee but he can swing his sword if he has to. We could use some healing back up for the wand as well. It would also give us an off screen chance to work out our new marching order and the like. I am guessing your thought is a return to Venza, not the town we left a few days ago?[/sblock]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
[sblock=GM Thoughts]Frankly, I see no problem with Ariel the NPC and Fae'shiel. That is all in DC's head. ;)

I think that DC forgets that the relationship between Ariel run as a player leading another adventuring party where his character joined as newcomer was completely different than when I NPCd the same character later on. The beginning butting heads was mostly because Veniarus was being a pompous ass, IIRC. ;)

The main difference is that Ariel as a player character was run by a person that drives a game, posting often and moving things forward and is heavily involved in talking with NPCs and group decisions. Conflict was often inevitable since Ariel was a zealous and had little sense of humor.

But I do not want to have Ariel making decisions for you and providing answers to plot issues. That would be like playing with myself. :p I am a very experienced DM, used to running NPCs in a party like an equal and still letting the players take the spot-light and make the critical decisions. The fact is that I have 7 games where I am doing that as DM and half the players are unaware. :p EnWorld just happens to be the one Forum I an not doing it at the moment. But, I don't recall anyone complaining when I used my characters as NPCs before. Mfloyd3's opinion of having Ariel with him during the two encounters would be your best impression of how it would be like. And Veniarus was in one of those same encounters too.

The only time I would see Ariel causing conflict would be if you all decided something that really against her LG morals. But her vote still doesn't count in the player consensus. It would all be role-playing only. I might use her as a tool to give you advice to keep from TPKing yourselves, but only if it is reasonably something she would know or believe. She might have opinions too, but if you meta-game that might be dangerous. :p

My idea would be to tie Ariel's experience points to be the same as Iago's so your cleric will not be behind in levels. I will retool her away from being focused on ranged and get her Heavy Armor Proficiency to make her more a front line character instead to help resolve the issue of not having a tank.[/sblock]

Remove ads