D&D 5E How much should 5e aim at balance?

hamstertamer

First Post
Look, as I've said before, you can play Superman next to Zorro, and not have Superman be overpowered. It just has to take very specific sets of circumstances. All the enemies need Kryptonite. Lots of Kryptonite. I mean we're talking Kryptonite bullets, Kryptonite armor, Kryptonite Grenades, Kryptonite buildings. But lots of Kryptonite.

Also Superman has to take a few levels in total stupidity and equip the idiot ball so he doesn't do things like go grab the nearest water tower and dump tens of thousands of gallons of water on the villains, or (if he's feeling slightly less pacifistic) reduce them to component atoms from low earth orbit with his heat vision. And there will still be times Zorro is totally outclassed, I mean come on, this is SUPERMAN here, and Zorro is a guy in a mask with a sword. But I mean it totally can work.

If a system does such a thing accidentally, that's one thing. Stuff happens. But to say it's good system design to allow it to happen, knowingly? No.

BTW, wanna run the Druid challenge?

It's simple. Pick a level above 7. Ban what spells you wish from the Druid list (I suggest Venomfire and Blinding Spittle at a bare minimum, and Shapeshift is obv obv obv if you're picking a level THAT high). Hell, limit us to the core books. Then we'll design a set of five encounters designed to test how well each character handles combat. I mean it's not like the Fighter brings much to the table besides combat. Party buffs? No. Healing? No. Tanking? Heh, walls of summons do that better.

Shall we pick level 11? I like that level, lots of good things happening there.

I don't know if you are talking me but...

Yet again, I don't think you understand. I could, of course, kill a Druid in five pre-planned encounters or even 1 encounter. That's a dumb test. I could just have a 1 HD goblin pull a lever and drop a 10 ton block on the Druid's head as he walked in the door. Then you'll cry "that's situational! Unfair!", well yeah everything is situational in a RPG. And if you think that you are gonna find some spell or reason to out-situation my goblin block trap, just remember the whole area is in an anti-magic field, you contracted a mysterious curse that instantly lowers your wisdom to 1, and your animal companion just had a heart attack and died. But don't worry you died instantly from being crushed by a 1HD goblin's block trap. Btw you can pick any spells you want.

Yes, I do prefer tactical situational challenges for my pcs. Straight forward here's encounter #1 now fight, move on to encounter [URL=http://www.enworld.org/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2]#2 [/URL] now fight is lame. I'm able to challenge my pcs without using suggested power levels, and typical I prefer more low-level than equal or more. And I tend not see them as "encounters" either.

Last edited:

timASW

Banned
Banned
Honestly that AC thing isn't that hard to get around. Even Barkskin (level 2 spell) gives me +4 natural armor bonus for 2 hours (4 with a fairly easy feat). Add that into my Wild Shape and I can get some pretty ridiculous AC's.

Or, to put it another way, with that spell, my AC in leather armor is only two worse than full plate and I don't suffer any limitations to my Dex bonus for wearing heavy armor. I can potentially cast that 5 times per day if I want to burn all my 2nd level spells. But, even at twice per day, that's going to cover a LOT of the adventuring day.

Let's not forget that I haven't actually cast any spells yet. Even a simple Summon Nature's Ally combined with Animal Growth and I leave the offensive power of a vanilla fighter (particularly if we're limited to core) laughably in the dust.

So, again, how are these two characters even REMOTELY balanced.

It's one thing not to care about it. I don't honestly. If Bill's druid is way better than my fighter, I don't really care so long as I'm having fun with my fighter. But, that's not the issue. Not caring about it doesn't mean that the issue isn't there.

Its fairly simple, round 1, you cast summon crap monster spell. Fighter ignores crap monster and takes about half your HP. Maybe a third with his power attacking, improved crit range feat, weapon specialing, great sword.

Round 2. You make crap monsters bigger. fighter continues ignorning them and finishes you off. Rendering your spells moot for the encounter and your large crap monsters directionless and probably wandering back into the forest. And if not easy pickings.

An 11th level fighter should have at least a 24 STR +7/10 two hander, a +4 weapon, greater focus for an attack bonus of 26. Meaning he's reliably hitting a 36 AC without power gaming in the slightest.

A smart fighter also poisons his sword, or since we're using splats, uses drugs on it that affect mental stats. Meaning each hit has a good chance of draining the hell out of your casting stat.

Add in greater cleave and most of those sorry monsters from your natures ally spell just act like a bag of rats giving him extra attacks against you and them.

You could really make it ugly and do away with the idiotic rule that allows casters to use concentration to cast defensively.

Then if you want to cast any spell after he closes you need to roll a check of around 10+ 2d6+22 or 36 on average just to cast any spell.

But since thats not RAW we can ignore it I guess.

GreyICE

Banned
Banned
I don't know if you are talking me but...

Yet again, I don't think you understand. I could, of course, kill a Druid in five pre-planned encounters or even 1 encounter. That's a dumb test. I could just have a 1 HD goblin pull a lever and drop a 10 ton block on the Druid's head as he walked in the door. Then you'll cry "that's situational! Unfair!", well yeah everything is situational in a RPG. And if you think that you are gonna find some spell or reason to out-situation my goblin block trap, just remember the whole area is in an anti-magic field, you contracted a mysterious curse that instantly lowers your wisdom to 1, and your animal companion just had a heart attack and died. But don't worry you died instantly from being crushed by a 1HD goblin's block trap. Btw you can pick any spells you want.

Yes, I do prefer tactical situational challenges for my pcs. Straight forward here's encounter [URL=http://www.enworld.org/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 [/URL] now fight, move on to encounter [URL=http://www.enworld.org/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2][URL=http://www.enworld.org/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2]#2 [/URL] [/URL] now fight is lame. I'm able to challenge my pcs without using suggested power levels, and typical I prefer more low-level than equal or more. And I tend not see them as "encounters" either.

This is a lot of a cop out. The Fighter is obviously going to die to the "Rocks fall, everyone dies" scenario too. So that's just a stupid thing (if I were a player in your game and you did that, it'd STILL be a stupid thing).

The rest is pretty much semantic quibbling. You don't like terminology "encounter." Well fine. We've had encounter charts and encounter guidelines and encounter building stuff since AD&D, but we can call it whatever you want. The fact is, throw 5 of them at the fighter, and throw the same 5 at the Druid, and the Druid will kimchee them in short order. If you want another format, that's fine too. The point is to run the Druid through the same gauntlet you run the Fighter through, and see how well they handle it.

In short, to challenge the fighter, you have to build an entirely different set of encounters than to challenge the Druid. And if the Druid and the Fighter are in the same party, then it becomes readily apparent to the fighter that the Druid is capable of doing so very much more than he is.

Disagree?

GreyICE

Banned
Banned
Its fairly simple, round 1, you cast summon crap monster spell. Fighter ignores crap monster and takes about half your HP. Maybe a third with his power attacking, improved crit range feat, weapon specialing, great sword.

Round 2. You make crap monsters bigger. fighter continues ignorning them and finishes you off. Rendering your spells moot for the encounter and your large crap monsters directionless and probably wandering back into the forest. And if not easy pickings.

An 11th level fighter should have at least a 24 STR +7/10 two hander, a +4 weapon, greater focus for an attack bonus of 26. Meaning he's reliably hitting a 36 AC without power gaming in the slightest.

A smart fighter also poisons his sword, or since we're using splats, uses drugs on it that affect mental stats. Meaning each hit has a good chance of draining the hell out of your casting stat.

Add in greater cleave and most of those sorry monsters from your natures ally spell just act like a bag of rats giving him extra attacks against you and them.

You could really make it ugly and do away with the idiotic rule that allows casters to use concentration to cast defensively.

Then if you want to cast any spell after he closes you need to roll a check of around 10+ 2d6+22 or 36 on average just to cast any spell.

Mmm, how do you plan to ignore the summons? I believe the Grapple rules are quite clear about attacking through grapples, and summons can grapple like mad. A level 5 spell can summon d3 Giant Crocodiles, grappling at a +21 modifier (yes, +21).

I mean or the Druid can wildshape into a Giant Bat (base AC 20, high fly speed) and just fly straight up, cast his buffs or whatever and fly back down (or hell, just baleful polymorph the fighter until it sticks, and then come down and eat the squirrel for breakfast).

Last edited:

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned

Don't forget that the summon monster wouldn't appear until the start of round two because summon is a full round action.

hamstertamer

First Post
This is a lot of a cop out. The Fighter is obviously going to die to the "Rocks fall, everyone dies" scenario too. So that's just a stupid thing (if I were a player in your game and you did that, it'd STILL be a stupid thing).

The rest is pretty much semantic quibbling. You don't like terminology "encounter." Well fine. We've had encounter charts and encounter guidelines and encounter building stuff since AD&D, but we can call it whatever you want. The fact is, throw 5 of them at the fighter, and throw the same 5 at the Druid, and the Druid will kimchee them in short order. If you want another format, that's fine too. The point is to run the Druid through the same gauntlet you run the Fighter through, and see how well they handle it.

In short, to challenge the fighter, you have to build an entirely different set of encounters than to challenge the Druid. And if the Druid and the Fighter are in the same party, then it becomes readily apparent to the fighter that the Druid is capable of doing so very much more than he is.

Disagree?

Do you think I'm incapable of running a game with my playstyle that is balanced for both the druid and other classes using 3rd edition? That's what I'm talking about. That's what discussion is about I thought.

I think you just can't see how that is possible based on how you played the game before and the experiences you had.

The other absurdity is that you think that I can't come up with 5 scenarios that the druid and the fighter can both do well solo.

GreyICE

Banned
Banned
Do you think I'm incapable of running a game with my playstyle that is balanced for both the druid and other classes using 3rd edition? That's what I'm talking about. That's what discussion is about I thought.

I think you just can't see how that is possible based on how you played the game before and the experiences you had.

The other absurdity is that you think that I can't come up with 5 scenarios that the druid and the fighter can both do well solo.
Well of course you can come up with 5 scenarios that a Druid and a Fighter can both do well solo. I mean one could just be 'two goblins.' Scenario over. The point isn't your design skills, I'm not testing that (in fact my suggestion is that we both cooperatively design them).

But lets make it interesting. Lets push what they're both capable of. CR 11? Sounds good to me. CR system ain't without its flaws, but surely we can avoid them. Lets pick 5 CR 11 encounters.

1) 1 Cloud Giant

Everyone loves giants. Should be interesting.

2) 1 Clay Golem, 1 Stone Giant.
Okay, CR 10 and 8, but hey, they mix well thematically, and Golems are supposed to be beasts for casters to handle.

3) 4 Huge Monstrous Scorpians.
Little bit of a swarm going. Should change things up.

4) A Salamander Noble. Should be a good fight.

5) A retriever demon.
Hey, we shouldn't get through this without at least one evil entity.

See, the point isn't whether you can design encounters that both characters can handle (that is, frankly, trivial). It's what the limits are. What do you have to do to create a challenge with tension, something the party isn't sure they can survive, something where they are fighting for their very lives?

See, the stuff above? The Fighter, if he wins all five, is going to come out bleeding and battered from each encounter, having barely lived through it, probably with nasty status effects, certainly much worse for wear.

The Druid? Well, chances are he'll survive all 5 quite handily.

pemerton

Legend
The beauty of this game is that the fighter is powerful at lower levels and the MU is powerful at higher levels. Somewhere in the middle, there is balance. But to try to have the fighter and the MU have the same amount of power at each level is a trick that even Gigax didn't achieve. Balance, as I said before, is over-rated. It breaks the game. Its found at the table between DM and players, not in the rule book.
This doesn't make sense to me. If the F and MU are balanced at mid-levels - and if the game is playable at mid-levels - then why can't that balance be projected back to lower levels, and forward to upper levels?

I mean, it might be good or bad design to have a game with the contrasting power progressions you describe, but it is not mandatory. There is nothing inherent in the notion of a 1st level MU that makes it weaker than a 1st level fighter. Likewise for 12th level.

How is that a deal breaker? Because you want a vanilla game where everyone has the same power level, or that you don't want to play a game where the fighter is powerful at low levels and the MU is powerful at higher levels? To me, the vanilla game that you guys are striving for with your "balance" don't exist.
I don't understand this notion of "vanilla game", either. If classic D&D is playable at fun at (say) 5th to 8th levels, when the fighter and MU are roughly balanced, then why would it be objectionably "vanilla" to set up the whole game like that?

I submit that anyone who is wanting "balance" really just wants Superman and Batman in a fantasy setting. If you want Middleearth, or Narnia, or even Barsoom, "balance" goes out the window.
I don't get this either. Why does Middle Earth require that fighter and magic-users of the same level be radically different in mechanical effectivenss? Couldn't you just stat up the hobbits as (say) level 1, Gimli and Legolas as (say) level 3 to 5, Aragorn as (say) level 8 or so, and Gandalf as (say) level 12 or so?

You want "balance", get it at your table.

<snip>

You'll never get that in the rules.
You can't achieve that without making the game so boring, nobody would want to play it.
I assume that you are aware that many games that balance fighters and casters exist and are played. D&D 4e is one of them. AD&D and 3E played between about levels 4 and 9 are another two. Rolemaster does a reasonable job at low to mid levels also. And I'm sure there are some points-buy fantasy games that do OK at it too.

You may find all these games boring - though I'm confused, because you seem to say that you like AD&D between levels 4 and 9 - but plenty of others don't.

Oh, they're rules alright. But what determines how your game is played is which ones your DM chooses to enforce, and which ones he throws out.
Balance is not found in the rules, nor should it be. Balance is found in the gaming group where it belongs. The rules are there as a guideline, and as a trap for rules lawyers to try to challenge DM (usually to their detriment).
I'm not sure what you think the action resolution rules of an RPG are for. But some, perhaps many RPGers - including me - regard them as the principal means whereby the players can, via their PCs, engage the situations that the GM frames for them. If action resolution is just about GM preferences and GM fiat, then what exactly are the players contributing, other than a bit of colour and some suggestions for the "story" that the GM-as-author may or may not take up?

So basically what you're saying is that some (incidentally non-core) spells are overpowered. That doesn't mean that the character casting them is.
My understanding is that the druid's animal companion is frequently comparable in effectiveness to a fighter. Given that the druid also has him-/herself and his/her spells, that does suggest a degree of discrepancy in mechanical effectiveness.

I'm looking at the 7th level Brown Bear, for example. Its AC is pretty bad, but its attacks look OK: a 7th level fighter would be what? +7 for level, +2 for item, +1 for feat, +5 for stat for +15/+10 for 1d8+9, whereas the bear is +11/+11 for 1d8+8 - but with Improved Grab, and what strikes me as a fairly good grapple modifier. (The giant crocodile seems mecahnically a little more effective, but a bit less practical.)

Now 3E is not my game, so perhaps I'm badly underoptimising my 7th level fighter there. But I'm pretty sure I can optimise my 7th level druid as well, between spells and wildshape! And I've still got my bear.

I could, of course, kill a Druid in five pre-planned encounters or even 1 encounter. That's a dumb test. I could just have a 1 HD goblin pull a lever and drop a 10 ton block on the Druid's head as he walked in the door. Then you'll cry "that's situational! Unfair!", well yeah everything is situational in a RPG. And if you think that you are gonna find some spell or reason to out-situation my goblin block trap, just remember the whole area is in an anti-magic field, you contracted a mysterious curse that instantly lowers your wisdom to 1, and your animal companion just had a heart attack and died.
Do you think I'm incapable of running a game with my playstyle that is balanced for both the druid and other classes using 3rd edition? That's what I'm talking about.

<snip>

you think that I can't come up with 5 scenarios that the druid and the fighter can both do well solo.
This is a lot of a cop out. The Fighter is obviously going to die to the "Rocks fall, everyone dies" scenario too.

<snip>

I agree with GreyICE on this issue. Of course it's possible, through a high degree of tweaking in encounter design, and a high degree of GM force in action resolution, to "balance" a fighter and a druid in the same party. The question is whether this is (i) a necessary feature of RPG design, and (ii) desirable in an RPG?

The answer to (i) obviously is No - given that there are RPGs, including fantasy RPGs, that don't require such tweaking and force. The answer to (ii) is more complex, but I think that a lot of people don't want a game where so much of what happens is in the hands of the GM. As I asked earlier in this post, at a certain point I lose sight of exactly what the players are doing, other than providing a bit of colour as they learn from the GM what happens to "their" PCs.

balance can be achieved through metagame mechanics which ensure the spotlight is passed around; in their absence 'balance' is about playstyle and system - not just system.
What you say is true, but I think that system shouldn't therefore be under-emphasised.

For example, if some players - via their PCs - effectively have a high degree of control over scene-framing, but others don't, then that first group of players can, in effect, manufacture their own spotlights (Teleport, Rope Trick etc). And if the GM counters this by a strong application of force, then we're into a playstyle that many of us find pretty dysfunctional.

Similarly, if the game is designed to support a certain generic form of conflict resolution - namely, combat between the PCs and evil enemies - and the system renders some PCs noticeably more mechanically capable in that arena than others - then maintaining comparable spotlight time is going to require a lot of GM departure from default system assumptions in framing conflicts. This is probably not as bad as GM force in action resolution and to counter player scene-framing (or scene-avoidance) strategies, but I still think it can veer into antagonism (or else extreme player deprotagonism) pretty easily.

They why are mine always so balanced?

I don't know. I don't know why you haven't seen a druid be an Aggressively Hegmonizing Ursine Swarm or a Batman Wizard walking round crippling encounters with one single spell (and completley ignoring spell resistance). I don't know why you haven't had an artificer who could prepare for most things and always turned up with the right bane weapons. I don't know why your fighters with 2+Int skill points per level are in the same league out of combat as druids with 4+Int skill points per level, class features, spells, and a companion.

I don't know whether you have a group of players who are gentlemen who go out of their way not to cut loose, whether all your caster players have been playing since 2e and treat the rules in the same way, whether as a DM you apply a vast amount of force to the rules (and re-write every single monster in the game IIRC - you say they aren't useable out of the Monster Manual which means you put in far, far more time and effort than most DMs), or whether you simply don't notice the problems.

What I do know is that they are there - both mathematically and practically. And if you haven't seen them then that makes you the exception and your game exceptional.

Let's not mince words. Fantasy roleplaying games are not played in reality.

Let's not mince words. That's complete :):):):):):):):).

Mod Note: Folks, invoke the language filter at your own peril. Rule#1 is "Keep it civil," and language that invokes the filter is, by definition, uncivil on these boards. ~Umbran

Fantasy roleplaying games are played in this reality using the reality of the rules of the game. And the rules of the setting are almost as real as mathematics.

Am I denying these ridiculous straw men about druids that can never ever be balanced? Yes. When you make blanket statements like this...
...they're easy to refute. I've had druids and fighters played side by side to and past that level, and that definitively did not happen. Could it happen? Yes. Will it happen? Maybe. It's not written in the rules that it will.

It's written into the rules that the druid brings far, far more to the party than the fighter. The druid brings himself, his bear, and an entire array of spells, features, and abilities. The fighter brings ... himself. If the druid isn't overshadowing the fighter then either the druid is being played technically very badly or the fighter is being played incredibly well - or there is some factor going on that you don't mention. My suspicion is that it's buried somewhere in the massive amount of prep time you put in.

Last edited by a moderator:

You can't achieve that without making the game so boring, nobody would want to play it. The beauty of this game is that the fighter is powerful at lower levels and the MU is powerful at higher levels. Somewhere in the middle, there is balance. But to try to have the fighter and the MU have the same amount of power at each level is a trick that even Gigax didn't achieve. Balance, as I said before, is over-rated. It breaks the game. Its found at the table between DM and players, not in the rule book.

You are missing a lot about Gygax and the design of D&D and AD&D.

The endgame started at levels 9-10. The highest level PC in Greyhawk was Sir Robilar at 14th level. And one of the reasons the fighter is a weak class pre-Unearthed Arcana (where the fighter gets beefed up in a move Gygax has said explicitely was for balance purposes) is that Rob Kunz was too good at playing. With Weapon Spec, fighters are more powerful at levels 1-2. Wizards just about catch up at level 3 and pull slightly ahead at level 5. Level 7, the fighter gets an extra half an attack per round - they are monstrously stronger than at level 6. Level 9-10, the wizard is indisputably ahead so they give the fighter an entire army to play with. In short, for at least six levels of a ten level game there is pretty good balance - and the first two levels are almost a lottery.

Another balance method for you. Big weapons do more damage to larger creatures. This has explicitely been called out as a buff to fighters by Gygax. And works as a buff to fighters at around levels 3-4 because that's when the enemies you fight become overwhelmingly large (in both meanings).

A third balance method for you. Different XP for different classes. This is purely a balance factor.

Gygax came up with a very well balanced game that had years of playtesting before it was launched, and playtesting by the sort of people that would stress the balance as hard as possible (rather than by people trying to play 2e as in 3e's case). He regarded it as very important and a lot of the rules in D&D are there for balance purposes. If you play 1e and don't care about balance that is because it was done for you by Gygax. You are coasting based on his hard work - and IIRC you don't play either late 2e or 3e. Which means you've only ever played a fairly well balanced system.

Remove ads