Penny Arcade Podcast with Mike Mearls

wedgeski

Adventurer
Actually, fuzzlewump was spot on with Mike/Gabe. His big question was "Why do I need a new edition?"
Yup, having listened to it, he was surprisingly defensive about 4E given that he stopped playing it a while back. Mearls' answer was nice and blunt: if you still love 4E, much as I'd like you to buy all our new books, you don't need a new edition.

Iosue

Legend
Yup, having listened to it, he was surprisingly defensive about 4E given that he stopped playing it a while back. Mearls' answer was nice and blunt: if you still love 4E, much as I'd like you to buy all our new books, you don't need a new edition.
I don't think he ever stopped playing it. His long-running campaign stalled at 20th level, and he was burned out on that. Not surprising since WotC never did come out with a DMG covering Epic play. But he was still playing in Jerry's Dark Sun game, and I imagine still playing in lower-level games.

atgeirr

First Post
Wand of Vigor was even better, IIIRC. But that spell came so late to the game that I mostly remember the CLW Wands.

We also had lots of CLW wands in 3rd edition. In 2nd edition we house-ruled that the cleric could spontaneously convert spell levels to curing, at a rate of 1d6 per spell level used. I imagine that house rule variants like this were fairly common, which lead to being a core rule in 3rd edition.

Players are always going to wish for more healing. In 4th we keep pining for surgeless healing...

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
2nd one is up.

Krahulik's ignorance of the word "nock" is irritating.

Mention of setting-specific deity-specific domains is exactly what I wanted to hear.

Possible interrupted mention of make-your-own domains is intriguing.

I keep agreeing with everything Mearls says.

It's weird hearing such an interesting conversation going on and being unable to join in.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases