Penny Arcade Podcast with Mike Mearls

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
I kind of wish every class got one skill - Cleric: Religious Lore, Ranger: Nature Lore, Fighter: Athletics, Wizard: Arcane Lore etc. Well, except for the Rogue archetypes would've got a slew of skills, what with it being their shtick and all.

Honestly, rogues should get Stealth, because I can't imagine a 5e rogue functioning without it. And I wouldn't be surprised if rangers got, say, Survival AND Perception to give them a leg up on skills over other classes (except rogues).

The only trick with this system is that a lot of the best-suited backgrounds for a given class would cover the default skills. For example, the "priest" background obviously should include Knowledge: Religion and equally obviously should be a good choice for clerics. I'm guessing there will be a "pick one other suitable skill of your choice, at DM's discretion, when they overlap" line to cover those situations.

mlund

First Post
Honestly, rogues should get Stealth, because I can't imagine a 5e rogue functioning without it.

I can't imagine a thief functioning without it, but if say, the Bard is a sub-set of the Rogue again then maybe Bluff would be more appropriate. Every rogue knows how to create a diversion, an opening, or pretend like he's not up to know good. Anyone in their lines of work without those skills winds up jailed or dead quick enough. ;)

I'm guessing there will be a "pick one other suitable skill of your choice, at DM's discretion, when they overlap" line to cover those situations.

I'd hope so. The whole "pick and mix" feature for background skills would logically extend to this.

- Marty Lund

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases