Opinions - IPad 2 or 3?

Janx

Hero
From what I've read Umbran, I believe there are two models of Win8 tablet coming, the lower cost will compete directly with it's brethren as a purely mobile tablet device, runs on the ARM chipset, and you are locked into the "Metro" UI only. The more expensive version, (running around $1000, could be less or more costly), will be a full computer in tablet form, and can go to a traditional desktop UI, and can have programs installed in desktop fashion.. although it lacks a cd/dvd drive, so it'll require either software only installers most likely. At least that's what I've read on several gadget sites. Perhaps that info is out of date however..?

I've seen some waffling on the ARM=Metro only, but on the technical front, it looks like ARM will only run the Metro stack.

ARM is a wimpy processor and can only run stuff compiled for it. Desktop mode is running the full win7 x86-style stack and that software cannot run on ARM.

This did raise some interesting questions in my .NET community about whether the Metro marketplace for software had to carry both ARM and x86 versions of the app, and whether that would be seperate downloads.

You can't install a Metro app from outside the MS marketplace, per the last details I'd heard. Just like an iThing.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
From what I've read Umbran, I believe there are two models of Win8 tablet coming

Yes, that's my understanding as well.

...although it lacks a cd/dvd drive, so it'll require either software only installers most likely. At least that's what I've read on several gadget sites. Perhaps that info is out of date however..?

It matches my understanding. Note that the expensive version, at least, will have at least one usb port. So, external drives are possible. Not that many folks are installing things from CDs nowadays anyway....

I wasn't considering a 7' tablet, since I want to use it for reading comics and gaming manuals. They benefit from more screen real estate.

You need more real estate than a seven foot tablet?!? I mean, sure superheroes are larger than life, but I dont think you need that much space for comic books :p

More seriously - I have a Nook tablet, and while I admit a larger screen would be awesome for comics, it does a better job with them than I expected. My Marvel Unlimited subscription is getting a workout on the thing.

Mallus

Legend
You need more real estate than a seven foot tablet?!?
Well... perhaps not that big.

More seriously - I have a Nook tablet, and while I admit a larger screen would be awesome for comics, it does a better job with them than I expected. My Marvel Unlimited subscription is getting a workout on the thing.
Interesting - thanks. I probably should keep hemming&hawing until the iPad mini is formally announced, but we're going away to upstate New York over Labor Day weekend, and it's awfully tempting to buy something before the trip.

Mallus

Legend
So I bought an iPad 3, 32GB, wifi only. In fact, I'm composing this post on it right now. So far, it's very nice. The screen truly is a thing of beauty. All the media I've tried look great. In an effort to disenchant myself with it slightly, I'm going to try and edit/compose a document on it next.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases