[LPF] Waking the Dead

GlassEye

Adventurer
As the orc rushes forward Tasanto's strike leaves him reeling and staggering.

"Light take your Skith-cursed skin!" he rages.

Lem's blows silence further insult or curse and the orc sprawls wide-eyed and staring blankly at the sky. Clearly, though not unexpectedly, the orc chose death over a shamed existence, weaponless, weakened, and prey for whatever lurks in the forest.

Armed with the knowledge that there might be more than just entering lazy Capoe-town looking for a wandering husband the group sets out. As they travel the forest track the woods seem unusually quiet though it could be perception tainted by the orc's tales. Late in the afternoon the woods open up to reveal a small village. Wooden houses cluster close round a small village green and gardens and fields stretch out to the trees though the feel is that the forest crowds the fields and closes in on the town.

Men and women can be seen working the fields, a few children play in the dirt track with a small dog. Nearby a woman stands on a stoop with a baby swaddled and balanced on her hip. She watches the children but turns to gaze on the traveler's with open suspicion. Glancing at the clustered buildings there is no indication that any of them are public buildings like a tavern or a temple.

Satin Knights

First Post
Tasanto cringes at the word journeymen, but figures to let the halfling talk, as they usually do that well.

[sblock=ooc]A couple minor things before we moved out.
a) loot the bodies thoroughly. Need to pay for those healing potions we used.
b) I will bury the last one face down in the earth since he had the decency to fight for his death. Putting the orc back in the earth seems the appropriate honor. The other two get to be crow food.
c) change to cattaur for for traveling.
d) change back to half-elf once we get within sight of the village.
e) Hope that Lem doesn't volunteer us for work as farm hands. :eek:[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
The woman looks at the four of you skeptically as she jiggles her baby on her hip to keep it from fussing. With her other hand she brushes back stray wisps of hair and tucks them behind her ear. She is not unattractive but is rather careworn.

"News? Don't get much travel down th' trail from the trade road, y'see. We'd sure like t' hear what news you brung if you got plans to stay a bit. We'd pay in kind tho' we've little enough of news. Could give some food and drink in exchange."

Now that the woman has begun talking she seems almost eager for the travelers to stay and share their news of the outside world with her isolated village. Beyond the village proper you can see men and women from the fields begin to make their way back to the houses.

[sblock=OOC]You had already taken most of the orc equipment. I assumed you would take the rest. Guess I should have let you finish out the scene as you saw fit. My apologies.[/sblock]

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
"I'm a cook by trade, ma'am, and a bit of a wanderer. I'd be eager to sample some of your food and drink, as I am always willing to learn a new recipe or three. I just recently come from Venza and wanted to make a tour of the nearby farming communities. Vegetables taste different depending upon the soil, so sometimes I get lucky and find a potato or radish that has a better taste from one location than another. Anyhow, I was all set to go when an acquaintance of mine named Elaine asked me to check in on a relative named Malcom who lives out here. She hasn't heard anything from him in awhile and is mighty worried. I can see why, too. Along my way I was accosted by a trio of orcs and wounded. If not for my talented friends who insisted on accompanying me through potentially unsafe forest, I would of been done for. We barely escaped with our lives and I still bear the wounds." Lem shows a hint of his most recent cut and the tear in his tunic.

"As for the news in Venza, well I frequent some of the taverns in my spare time and have heard the most outrageous gossip and tales of adventures," Lem says. He then tells stories about adventures he heard about recently, being sure to leave out the tales Lem and his companions may have been directly involved. He is discreet, seeing no need to reveal the group's true fighting abilities.

GlassEye

Adventurer
The woman smiles at the mention of Elaine and her whole countenance changes with the expression from guarded suspicion to outright welcome.

"Elaine!? How wonderful! That white cloak of hers still treating her right?" By this time the field workers are approaching and she calls out to them. "Friends of Elaine's from Venza here and willing to exchange news! Set up some tables on the green."

Turning back to Lem and the others she continues though a shadow of worry has crossed her features. "Worrisome 'bout Malcolm. And Rochelle's little ones gone missing, too, but you'll hear all about that soon enough. We'll get you a bit of wine to keep your throats wetted and enough food to satisfy you. Land round here is rich; I'm sure the food'll be to your liking."

It doesn't take long for the villagers to drag plank benches and trestle tables out onto the small open space that serves as the village green, get them set up, and get the visitors to their town seated and fed. As promised the food is excellent: hearty root vegetables and tender meats in a thick flavorful sauce. As Lem, Tasanto, Dolgrin, and Menik eat, the crowd of villagers plant torch-holders around the green in preparation for dark. Stragglers arrive herding their families with them until it seems nearly the entire village is present and waiting for the news as if it were an evening at the Venza Opera House. For these simple, isolated people the value of the entertainment is likely much the same.

Eventually, after your news is told, the villagers seem willing to tell their own news and answer any questions you might have.

"Odd doings," begins a village ancient you've learned everyone calls Pate the Younger. His shrunken, hunched body and bald, age-spotted head make you wonder how old Pate the Elder must be. The villagers nod in agreement and with one exception look worried and dismayed. That exception is a wild-haired woman with a blotched face likely red from crying dressed in unkempt clothing who keeps to the edge of the crowd and whose attention often strays to the darkness beyond the light of the torches.

GM: Perception checks with your next posts, please.

possum

First Post
Dolgrin eats quietly, listening to the villagers as they speak, the dwarf's battleaxe leaning against the pew next to him. "So we've heard," he says to Pate the Younger when the elder mentions odd things happening around the area.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Lem pats his stomach and scans the crowd with his smile as he announces, "That meat sauce is the best I've had in quite awhile. I would love if someone would teach me it, and in exchange I could show a trick I learned with garlic and vegetable roots."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases