[LPF] Waking the Dead

Satin Knights

First Post
Tasanto puts the necromancer in manacles and then stabilizes him in an unconscious state. "Rochelle should have the killing blow." Stripping the body of loot and collecting what is possible, including Malcolm head in a bag for a proper burial, we will go back to the village. Slinging him over his back, he will carry the necromancer back to town and tie him to one of the tables with his head hanging over the end. While keeping the necromancer guarded, summon the villagers and, borrowing Dolgrin's axe for a moment, "Rochelle, being told justice has been done is not as soul cleansing as exacting that justice." Offer her the axe. If she doesn't take it after a moment, Tasanto will strike the final blow.

Tasanto will also find a fine wooden box that can be sealed with wax. Discretely, Malcom's head will be sealed in the box so what remains of his body we found can be returned to the whitecloak Kelnin for a proper burial. Not quite a coffin, but its evidence instead of the word of a stranger.

[sblock=XP]Tasanto started with 3,510 XP, so he should be ending at 6,175.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Lem frowns at the durable skeleton remains and says, "What about the farm? Should we not investigate Malcom's home in case some undead were left there. I would hate for a villager to come to a bad end when they go to check on its condition."

OOC: I'd like the bracers unless grabbed by someone else.

kinem

Adventurer
For the moment, Menik takes the scrolls and the wand.

"I agree. There's also the matter of the boneless elf the orc mentioned" Menik notes. "That necromancer might not be the whole story around here."

GlassEye

Adventurer
Returning to Capoe the villagers are pleased that their troubles seem to be over and they excitedly gather for a bit of rough justice. Rochelle eagerly takes the axe from Tasanto and strikes a blow but it is messy and doesn't kill the necromancer cleanly. Rochelle breaks down into uncontrolled weeping and Tasanto is forced to take the axe and finish the job. When it is over she seems more clear-minded than any other time the group has seen her and you have hope that she will eventually heal.

At Lem's insistence the four check out Malcolm's farm but a thorough scouting of the area turns up nothing else.

Continuing to think about the orc's comments, Menik comes to the conclusion that the orc was attempting to insult him but it was somehow lost in translation.

[sblock=OOC]Thanks, SK. Corrected and I'll post the corrected version on the final tally. I don't recall exactly where I took those numbers so the rest of you might want to check your beginning totals as well.

Thanks for your patience and for continuing to play after I picked this up. I know it was short but, really, the only thing left is to report to Lt. Kelnin.[/sblock]

Satin Knights

First Post
To be sure they rid the village of this necromancer for good, Tasanto burns the body and the blood stained table, but only after retrieving his manacles and putting them away. Once the ashes are scattered, "Well, we have to get going. My friends' horses are rented, and we should get them back in a timely manor." Set out on the road to return to Venza.
[sblock=ooc]Are we finishing here? Returning the head and getting paid is just a somber formality. Are we ambushed on the road back, or do we make it safely? Tasanto's update are done, but I always ponder a day or two to make sure I like the changes for submitting for approval.[/sblock]

possum

First Post
Dolgrin cringes as Rochelle does her best attempt at a beheading swing on the necromancer and turns away as Tasanto finishes the job. Maybe, he thinks, they should have done something more humane such as hanging, and let Rochelle be the one to whip the horse away from the tree. A botched execution was no way for a being to die, no matter how evil he was. The dwarf travels with the others to check out Malcom's farm and seeing it abandoned agrees with Tasanto's suggestion to return to the big city.

kinem

Adventurer
"It is sad news we bear, but at least the dead are at peace now" Menik says, as he journeys back with the others.

In truth, his thoughts are on necromancy. What was its appeal? The power to gain servants, certainly, but the bugbear necromancer he'd helped fight last time had goblin servants enough, but still felt the desire for undead ones. Power? Any school of magic provided it; yet necromancy also called enemies against its abuser. Perhaps there was more to it ... Perhaps, if one fears death, it is comforting to think that one can somehow control it. Or it might simply be a form of rebellion against the standards of a society which might have treated such men unfairly ...

GlassEye

Adventurer
[sblock=OOC]Sorry I didn't get everything wrapped up before Christmas holidays. Again, thanks for playing. I'll make the ending date 29 Dec 2012 and have final tallies up asap.

Row 5 has the final XP tallies.

Treasures:
# 1 - Orcs: 400 gp worth gear (sold in Capoe) including one potion of cure light wounds (used). 350 gp
# 2 - Ghoulish Children: no treasure.
# 3 - Necromancer and Minions: Bracers of Armor +1 (1,000 gp), Robe of Infinite Twine (1,000 gp), Wand of Magic Missiles (CL1) with 10 charges (150 gp), Scrolls: detect undead (25 gp), obscuring mist (25 gp), shield (25 gp), chill touch (25 gp), spectral hand (150 gp), Breastplate (200 gp), Hvy steel shield (20 gp), MW longsword (315 gp), 565 gp.

Total GP value (encounter): 3,850 (962.5 gp each)
Time-based GP:
-Dolgrin: 1,932 + 962.5 = 2,894.5 gp total
-Lem: 1,932 + 962.5 = 2,894.5 gp total
-Menik: 1,932 + 962.5 = 2,894.5 gp total
-Tasanto: 2,552 + 962.5 = 3,514.5 gp total

As usual, if there are items you wish from the accumulated treasure, deduct their value from your gp total. Unwanted items can be easily sold in Venza.

Took over from DrJest 5 Sep 2012 (8.05 DMC)
[/sblock]

The few days travel back to Venza pass uneventfully and Dolgrin, Lem, Menik, and Tasanto are able to make their report to Lt. Kelnin. Kelnin is understandably saddened that his wife's brother was killed but is pleased that the group was able to exact justice and remove a threat to the region. He makes payment as promised.

Remove ads