Monte Cook's new RPG: Numenera [UPDATED]

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Monte Cook has announced his new - upcoming - roleplaying game: Numenera. He's been hinting at it on his blog ever since he left the D&D Next team earlier this year, describing it as a "science fantasy" post-apolocalytpic far future setting. Numenera will be funded via a Kickstarter project to be announced next week.
"I’m very proud to announce that next summer, I will be releasing a brand new roleplaying game called Numenera. The game system behind Numenera, called the Cypher System, is designed to be very simple to play and in particular to run as a GM, allowing the focus to be on role-playing, action, stories, and ideas. Numenera will be released under the Monte Cook Games banner.

Numenera’s setting is Earth, a billion years in the future, after eight great civilizations have risen and fallen. Thus, the setting is also called the Ninth World. The PCs are part of a new civilization rising in the Ninth World, hoping to forge its own destiny. But they must do so amid the remnants of a remarkable and in many ways unknowable past. The ancient peoples of prior eras mastered nanotechnology, interstellar travel, cosmic engineering, genetic engineering, and far stranger things. If the people of the Ninth World think of such things as magic, who are we to blame them?

To learn more, please check out the new Numenera site we’ve created. Also, come to my panel at GenCon, Thursday the 16th from 2 PM to 4 PM. I’ll be talking all about Numenera (and other things) and probably divulging all too much info. I’ll be doing similar panels at FanExpo Canada in Toronto and at DragonCon in Atlanta.

Numenera will be released as a full-color rulebook/setting book as well as an ebook. There will also be a very short ebook of just the rules. Numenera will be supported with a character generator tool as an app for phones and tablets, and an app that will contain all of the rules for easy reference.

To raise money needed for art, development, editing, and printing, I will be launching a Kickstarter in the next week or so. Contributors will get access to some very special rewards that won’t be available elsewhere. If the Kickstarter goes well, it will hopefully allow me to not only create Numenera, but to follow it up with a line of support products.

This is an exciting new journey for me. I hope you’ll come along for the ride."
The website for the new game is here.

UPDATE - Monte has launched his Kickstarter.

Attachments

• 300x168xNumeneraForKickstarter-300x168_jpeg_pagespeed_ic_Y4JRDymM4o.jpg
    300x168xNumeneraForKickstarter-300x168_jpeg_pagespeed_ic_Y4JRDymM4o.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 379
Last edited:

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Shore is purdy.

Can't say much about the system yet. Setting seems possibly interesting, but certainly done before. It'll be interesting to see if Monte can make this seem more than a pretty book with an also-ran setting!

Looks interesting, even though I'm usually not a fan of science-fiction.

I nevertheless predict that this game will be one of the most mispronounced games in history (numerena / numerana / nuremena / etc.)

Good luck to Monte!

AR

Klaus

First Post
Looks interesting, even though I'm usually not a fan of science-fiction.

I nevertheless predict that this game will be one of the most mispronounced games in history (numerena / numerana / nuremena / etc.)

Good luck to Monte!

AR
You don't have to be into sci-fi. For the characters, it's indistinguishable from magic (to the point where the nano's "spells" are called "esoteries").

I look forward to seeing this progress!

A

amerigoV

How did Monte get the Muppets to do a theme song already?

Mana Mana "doot doo to do do"

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z79jnz9v60]Manana By the muppets - YouTube[/ame]

But then again, it might be the only thing that survived the 8 apocalypses..

Evenglare

Adventurer
Looks cool... as an astrophysicist I cringe when I hear "a billion" years. I don't know if he understands how long or not long that is considering what he's said about it. 8 great ages have past on earth... Now it took around 5 billion years for life to advance on earth as it has. Humans go to where we are in what... ~12,000 years? Around 65 million years is when the dinosaurs had their heyday. Now im no anthropologist but A billion years is... I ... ugh.. I Dont even know it just seems like he picked a large number and said Eh...... there's also several other things to think about, considering the moon is going to be much farther away from us then ( if it isnt gone altogether from some rogue comet or something), Saturn wont have rings, the sun wont quite be red giant yet, but it will be past mid age... I can't imagine the earth being anything other than a desolate wasteland ( of course you can say SCIENCE-MAGIC and take care of that) . I dont know, im definitely curious just to see how much thought was put into it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases