Monte Cook's new RPG: Numenera [UPDATED]

Belgos

Explorer
Wow: Ten pages on one facet of a premise. I'm going to take this as example of why 'showing the audience versus telling the audience' can be very important.

Can we move on now and talk a bit more about the classes, the system and other aspects of it?

Otakkun

Explorer
Wow: Ten pages on one facet of a premise. I'm going to take this as example of why 'showing the audience versus telling the audience' can be very important.

Can we move on now and talk a bit more about the classes, the system and other aspects of it?

We need more info for that. :angel:

fled

First Post

First you choose one of three types:​

• Glaivesare the warriors of the Ninth World. Glaives can wear heavy armor and wield massive weapons, or they can fight with light weapons and armor so they can move quickly.
    • Nanos are wizard-like characters who harness the numenera to work miracles. These miracles, called esoteries, walk the line somewhere between machine and magic, depending on the Nano’s particular skillset.
    • Jacks are named after jacks-of-all-trades. They have a lot of tricks in their bags, which makes them skilled at a little bit of everything.
Second, you choose from a number of descriptors like clever, tough, strong-willed, or mystical.

Third you choose a focus, which really distinguishes your character. These can vary from crafting illusions to becoming a master of a single weapon, from wielding magnetism to being a great leader.

In addition to the base class, it seems there will be quite a bit of flexibility and variance in mechanics when one selects descriptors and focus.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
This is easily excluded / amended via "house rules". Also keep in mind the system is still in play testing.
Of course and I didn't mean to imply that I'll reject Numenera because of this. As a matter of fact, it's rather likely that I'll support the Kickstarter.

However, it is a mechanic that I strongly dislike. I don't care for it as an optional rule in GURPS (one of my favorite games) and I was glad when it was removed from Savage Worlds.

Imperialus

Explorer
I love the science fantasy/sword and planet style of fantasy so I'm all over this one. Here's hoping for some pulp in the style of Howard, Carter and Burroughs.

fled

First Post
Barf. More rules light systems with ridiculous settings.

I'll take rules light over mechanically burdened anyday. Unforunately actual role play is becoming a lost art. Back in 2nd ed, once my characters got into the teen levels, I was more interesting in building a kingdom, tower, clan, alliances, whatever than actual combat.

Anone who has ever cast a 9th level spell in game knows how much of a total joke combat becomes.

Animal

First Post
First you choose one of three types:​

• Glaivesare the warriors of the Ninth World. Glaives can wear heavy armor and wield massive weapons, or they can fight with light weapons and armor so they can move quickly.
    • Nanos are wizard-like characters who harness the numenera to work miracles. These miracles, called esoteries, walk the line somewhere between machine and magic, depending on the Nano’s particular skillset.
    • Jacks are named after jacks-of-all-trades. They have a lot of tricks in their bags, which makes them skilled at a little bit of everything.
Second, you choose from a number of descriptors like clever, tough, strong-willed, or mystical.

Third you choose a focus, which really distinguishes your character. These can vary from crafting illusions to becoming a master of a single weapon, from wielding magnetism to being a great leader.

So.. It's class+descriptor+focus? Sounds kinda familiar.
*cough*class+background+specialty*cough*

Remove ads