Monte Cook's new RPG: Numenera [UPDATED]

Mallus

Legend
Wow. This thread is proof of why RPG players get stereotyped the way that we are. This sounds like an awesome RPG, and instead of talking about how awesome it is, most of this thread is arguing over whether 1 billion years is accurate or not.

sigh
Think of it as an opportunity to laugh at ourselves! And others!

This setting looks better and better. I like the idea of going a billion years in the future. Its science fantasy so frankly not too worried about the actual science, but it sounds to me like he has a handle on that part of the project as well.

Jupp

Explorer
You mean like Dune, a novel where the artificial Messiah, bred by a coven of cynical, telepathic, ninja-witches, comes of age in a quasi-feudal space empire that runs on a hallucinogenic, life-extending, magic drug that's also a rather transparent stand-in for petroleum?

(mind you, I love Dune, even the Lynch film version)

Or Star Wars?

Or Star Trek, for that matter.

Mentioning Herbert's Dune in the same post as Star Wars/Trek seems like blasphemy :D But yes, it's in line of what I meant. Things like Aasimov's Foundation, Burrough's Barsoom, or Heinlein's Future History.

fled

First Post
Cook did let drop that the 9th world inhabitants are at the "medieval" stages of development so im going to hypothesize its going to have a "Battle Chasers" theme for those familiar with that comic. The art really sets the tone. I like the direction of the entire project thus far.

Otakkun

Explorer
Curse you Monte, now I'll have to drop $60 (actually $70 for int shipping) instead of the $30 I had originally thought.

That's what you get for asking for stretch goals :p

jreyst

First Post
Without going back and reading through almost 10 pages of posts, does anyone know if he has discussed ANYWHERE (i.e. Facebook, or his blog, or elsewhere) what sort of licensing he may be considering (i.e. OGL/something else/nothing else?)

fled

First Post
Without going back and reading through almost 10 pages of posts, does anyone know if he has discussed ANYWHERE (i.e. Facebook, or his blog, or elsewhere) what sort of licensing he may be considering (i.e. OGL/something else/nothing else?)

From his blog, all I could find...

The game system behind Numenera, called the Cypher System, is designed to be very simple to play and in particular to run as a GM, allowing the focus to be on role-playing, action, stories, and ideas. Numenera will be released under the Monte Cook Games banner.

He briefly mentions that he is in talks with "Tom Tullis at Fat Dragon Games to do some Numenera-licensed fold-up terrain.".... Otherwise I'm not too sure bud.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
On one hand, I'm not all that interested in another 'new' RPG, on the other hand Monte talks about some interesting setting concepts. I'll take a look when it's released...

As for what the future holds. 50 Years ago the future looked like flying cars, jetpacks, intelligent computers, humanoid robots, etc. being in common use. We're not there yet and some of that stuff might be awfully far away. On the other hand, the scifi future of 66 years ago we've surpassed the communicator by a mile and the computer power is far beyond what was imagined. But there's still no one on Mars and we don't have a moonbase...

We humans are an odd lot, we want to create humans that look like us and hate everyone that isn't the ideal human form. What is there to say that no matter how advanced humans get, they always keep the human form because everyone who doesn't doesn't evolve for long...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases