Avengers sequel announced + Marvel-based TV series coming

renau1g

First Post
"Joss Whedon has been hired on again as boss of Iron Man, Thor, Captain America and their superhero pals for a sequel to The Avengers.

The news came Tuesday from Walt Disney Co. chief executive officer Robert Iger, who said during a company earnings call that the filmmaker is returning to write and direct the sequel adapted from the Marvel Comics tales.

Iger also said Whedon is helping to develop a Marvel-based TV series for ABC. Marvel is a Disney subsidiary."

Joss Whedon hired to write, direct Avengers sequel | The Chronicle Herald

Interesting stuff. No surprise that they're doing a sequel to one of the best earning movies in history. I would guess either later 2014 (as Cap 2 is earlier that year) or go for May 2015.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Good news. Completely unsurprising good news (because, really, who *wouldn't* give him another movie after what Avengers earned?), but still good news.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Wait...Marvel is a Disney subsidiary?

In 2009, Disney bought Marvel Entertainment, which is the parent company of Marvel Worldwide, and "Marvel Worldwide" is what we colloquially call "Marvel Comics".

renau1g

First Post
One thing I think Disney's done is a great job on the movie side of things and (of course) on merchandising. My twins love the Avengers (not the movie, it's too loud in the theater for them, they're only 4) and have t-shirts, hats, action figures, posters, and now backpacks and lunchpails. Well done Disney, you've gotten my $'s.

They get me there and then also on the Pixar side as well.... *shakes his fist at them*

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
It'll be interesting to see how that tv series shapes up- live action vs animated, which characters, new storylines vs recycled comic-book plots. And of course, which actors.

Insight

Adventurer
An Avengers TV show is a longshot. First, you know they are not casting the actors from the movies. They might be able to score one or two of them. But, I doubt it. Also, consider the budgetary implications of such an endeavor. The last TV show to have any kind of budget nearing what the Avengers would entail was Terra Nova and that was cancelled due to budget reasons.

Now, if it's not an Avengers TV show, then we might have a possibility. If they picked a single hero, say Daredevil (also someone for whom the audience would not mind a reboot of sorts), then we have a potential winner. I would also count the Fantastic Four as possible, but less likely (I think the getting the same actors is not as important with the FF).

Of course, Spider-Man is the most obvious choice, but Sony probably owns those rights.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases