Avengers sequel announced + Marvel-based TV series coming

Cor Azer

First Post
I was figuring a title like Runaways for the TV series - recent enough that you don't have a lot of story baggage, established enough that you have some idea where to take it, and given it deals mainly with teens, potential for hand-wringing angst.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I won't be too surprised if they go with something SHIELD-based for a TV series - something that's been generally established in the movies, but hasn't been particularly explored.

For instance, the Avengers DVD is coming with a short film, "Item 47", that's about a Bonnie and Clyde duo that pick up a weapon dropped in all the fighting in the movie. Wackiness ensues, and SHIELD cleans it up. They can do a series focused mostly on the stuff that's too small for the heavy-hitting superheroes. Thus they keep the effects budget down, and they have a whole lot of creative space to play with that won't clash with the movie franchises.

renau1g

First Post
Just like the Green Arrow series. Focus on the most "human"-type heroes vs. the more spectacular ones. i.e. Daredevil or Luke Cage vs. The Human Torch or Thor.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Folks keep mentioning Daredevil - at the moment, the movie rights on Daredevil sit with Fox, and will until at least October. If Fox starts a movie by October, they keep the rights.

Anyone here think it likely that Fox bought movie rights, but didn't take TV rights along with them?

I don't think they'd have based a TV deal on rights they don't currently have. So, Daredevil probably isn't something they're considering here.

Insight

Adventurer
Folks keep mentioning Daredevil - at the moment, the movie rights on Daredevil sit with Fox, and will until at least October. If Fox starts a movie by October, they keep the rights.

Anyone here think it likely that Fox bought movie rights, but didn't take TV rights along with them?

I don't think they'd have based a TV deal on rights they don't currently have. So, Daredevil probably isn't something they're considering here.

To be fair, they could have thrown out "... and we're also doing a TV series!" without having made any decision on what it would be. After all, the development time required to put together a TV series (even a non-superhero one) would push such an endeavor into 2013 - at least!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
It could also be a Marvel TV show based on ANY of their characters, just with the serial numbers filed off- like the Mutant X.

renau1g

First Post
Like The Amazing Arachnid, mild mannered Paul Parken a teenage boy who gains the powers of an arachnid (no, not Spiderman, his suit is blue with red accents, not like Spiderman's red with blue accents, sheesh).

Next thing you know they'll claim Hollywood writers have run out of ideas and are just pumping out sequels or remakes...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Well, Mutant X was essentially X-Men with slightly different characters, toned down and sans spandex.

A Spider-Man adaptation done the same way might feature a guy named Peter who was super strong, agile and tough with some kind of "spidey sense", with similar origins, but might not have web shooters. Instead of wall-crawling, he'd be into parkour.

Ohhhh, ouch...Peter would be into parkour?

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
To be fair, they could have thrown out "... and we're also doing a TV series!" without having made any decision on what it would be.

Yah, that's possible. I'm more suggesting that they wouldn't have a specific plan for Daredevil, unless they have some knowledge that Fox will let the license lapse.

It could also be a Marvel TV show based on ANY of their characters, just with the serial numbers filed off- like the Mutant X.

Yes, I suppose they could. But it would seem to be to be diluting their IP to do that, and risking legal wrangling akin to that which surrounded Mutant X (Because Fox had the rights to do X-Men). Better to do something they actually have, I should think, or may up something new, rather than try filing serial numbers off again.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases