HACKMASTER Basic - for free!
+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 80

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1

    HackMaster Basic PDF now a FREE download!

    Want to see what all the fuss about HackMaster is? Download the HMBasic pdf for FREE! and start gaming in minutes!

    http://www.kenzerco.com/product_info...roducts_id=862
    Last edited by griffonwing; Friday, 10th August, 2012 at 03:12 PM. Reason: truncated url

  2. #2
    Member
    Guide (Lvl 11)



    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,927
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block prosfilaes


    Friend+
    I recalled character generation rules in Hackmaster Basic I looked at. Were those always only in Hackmaster Basic Plus? With only sample characters to use for PCs, and a cap at 5th level (which, yes, was always there), it really feels like a preview. A 231 page, fully-usable preview, which stretches the definition of the word, but still.

  3. #3
    Member
    Superhero (Lvl 15)

    Agamon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    AB, Canada
    Posts
    9,298
    Reviews
    Read 10 Reviews

    Block Agamon


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by prosfilaes View Post
    I recalled character generation rules in Hackmaster Basic I looked at. Were those always only in Hackmaster Basic Plus? With only sample characters to use for PCs, and a cap at 5th level (which, yes, was always there), it really feels like a preview. A 231 page, fully-usable preview, which stretches the definition of the word, but still.
    That's the whole point. You get to read/try the game. If you like it, you can get the HM books and continue your campaign (the rules are the same, the PHB just adds more to it). If not, you invested no more than some time to find out.

  4. #4
    Member
    Lama (Lvl 13)



    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Hayward, CA
    Posts
    2,352
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block kitsune9


    Friend+
    Nice. Downloaded my copy.

  5. #5
    Member
    Guide (Lvl 11)



    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,927
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block prosfilaes


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Agamon View Post
    That's the whole point. You get to read/try the game. If you like it, you can get the HM books and continue your campaign (the rules are the same, the PHB just adds more to it). If not, you invested no more than some time to find out.
    I'm just sort of happier when my previews are labeled previews, and not presented as whole books.

  6. #6
    What? Me Worry?
    Defender (Lvl 8)

    ColonelHardisson's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    The Cleveland, OH area, but missing San Diego, CA
    Posts
    4,968
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block ColonelHardisson


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by prosfilaes View Post
    I'm just sort of happier when my previews are labeled previews, and not presented as whole books.
    Holmes Edition D&D was 48 pages, topped out at 3rd level, and was considered a full game then. This free version of HMB seems like a whole book to me.

  7. #7
    Member
    Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)



    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    4,120
    Reviews
    Read 2 Reviews

    Block Stormonu


    Friend+
    This ... rocks!

  8. #8
    Member
    Superhero (Lvl 15)

    Agamon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    AB, Canada
    Posts
    9,298
    Reviews
    Read 10 Reviews

    Block Agamon


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by prosfilaes View Post
    I'm just sort of happier when my previews are labeled previews, and not presented as whole books.
    Except that it's more of a whole book than a preview. Many people, myself included, played HMB campaigns with nothing but HMB, it's a complete game in itself. HM just expands upon it with more options and levels of play.

  9. #9
    Member
    Guide (Lvl 11)



    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,927
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block prosfilaes


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Agamon View Post
    Except that it's more of a whole book than a preview. Many people, myself included, played HMB campaigns with nothing but HMB, it's a complete game in itself. HM just expands upon it with more options and levels of play.
    Jolly Blackburn above implies that there are pages in the printed book that aren't in this PDF. I'm pretty sure the book had character creation rules, and nobody has seen fit to gainsay me on that point.

  10. #10
    Member
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)



    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Kew Gardens, NY
    Posts
    1,596
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block ShinHakkaider


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by prosfilaes View Post
    I recalled character generation rules in Hackmaster Basic I looked at. Were those always only in Hackmaster Basic Plus? With only sample characters to use for PCs, and a cap at 5th level (which, yes, was always there), it really feels like a preview. A 231 page, fully-usable preview, which stretches the definition of the word, but still.
    Yeah and now I feel like a schmuck because I actually PAID for this a few months back.

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Similar Threads

  1. Hackmaster Basic vs. Pathfinder Basic
    By rkwoodard in forum Roleplaying Games General Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: Sunday, 22nd January, 2012, 11:53 AM
  2. Hackmaster Basic
    By Treebore in forum Older D&D Editions (4E, 3.x, 2E, 1E, OD&D), D&D Variants, and OSR Gaming
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: Friday, 19th November, 2010, 07:43 PM
  3. Hackmaster Basic
    By Treebore in forum Roleplaying Games General Discussion
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: Friday, 19th November, 2010, 07:43 PM
  4. Hackmaster Basic (5e) in SE MA
    By rexartur in forum Older D&D Editions (4E, 3.x, 2E, 1E, OD&D), D&D Variants, and OSR Gaming
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Tuesday, 7th July, 2009, 08:00 PM
  5. Hackmaster Basic (5e) in SE MA
    By rexartur in forum Gamers Seeking Gamers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Tuesday, 7th July, 2009, 08:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •