HACKMASTER Basic - for free!

Dire Bare

Legend
Besides HM we were doing the D&D comic

I'd forgotten about the comics, they were fun. I collected them all except for the last set, which, if I remember, was a continuance of the first storyline KenzerCo released in their D&D comic line. I had trouble finding out about the last storyline, then when I went looking for the issues, could never find them, and eventually gave up. I still have the other comics in a box somewhere, I'll have to dig them out, give them a re-read, and then add them to my IDW D&D collection.

IDW has been republishing earlier D&D comics by Marvel and also Devil's Due, I hope they have the rights to republish the KenzerCo run also, I'd love to get the issues I'm missing, and perhaps the graphic novel treatment on the various storylines.

kitsune9

Adventurer
I read the combat example (which I really enjoy detailed combat examples because it serves as a great way to see how the game flows). While I liked the interesting mechanics threshold of pain, defense for counter attack, etc, I found it to be a bit too much. I think the penetrating die rolls should be flat die rolls without the -1 to be added to future rolls. I think determining how many seconds a combatant is out because of pain from the damage they took (after armor is applied) should be a flat number instead of the math (you took 8 points of damage, you're out for 8 seconds or you're out a flat 10 seconds, etc).

I can see myself borrowing or playing with mechanics like this, but I wouldn't be able to sell my group on it.

GeorgeFields

Explorer
I think the penetrating die rolls should be flat die rolls without the -1 to be added to future rolls.

The only problem with that is the highest number on a die isn't a possible result.

If you roll a 6 on d6p, rolling a one for the second roll would result in a '7' instead of a 6.

Hard8Staff

First Post
I read the combat example (which I really enjoy detailed combat examples because it serves as a great way to see how the game flows). While I liked the interesting mechanics threshold of pain, defense for counter attack, etc, I found it to be a bit too much. I think the penetrating die rolls should be flat die rolls without the -1 to be added to future rolls. I think determining how many seconds a combatant is out because of pain from the damage they took (after armor is applied) should be a flat number instead of the math (you took 8 points of damage, you're out for 8 seconds or you're out a flat 10 seconds, etc).

I can see myself borrowing or playing with mechanics like this, but I wouldn't be able to sell my group on it.

the feedback we get constantly is despite all the 'added' elements, it still plays faster than the other popular games. it reads more complicated than it plays (while there's a lot going on, it's intuitive and after two sessions, combat speeds to levels seen only by diceless gamers)

griffonwing

First Post
Man I love hackmaster but HOLY COW 60 bucks for the players handbook, wow thats going to hurt the wallet!

Yeah, it is a good chunk. However, you get 400 pages of (i believe) 10pt font, a plethora of optional crunch, fake leather binding, 4.5 pounds of full color goodness. This book is on par with, and even surpases, some of the 100+ dollar special collectors edition books that other companies produce.

Im not a shill for the company. However, I am a fan of the game. Anyway, I play this game and Pathfinder, and I only play PF because of an ongoing campaign.

GeorgeFields

Explorer
Yeah, the book isn't cheap; but it's high quality in production and content.

HackMaster Basic Plus pdf is available for anyone that's gone through the free basic pdf and wants a little more without dropping the cash for the full PH.

It contains the character creation rules along with new equipment and advancement rules up to level 10.

HackMaster Basic Plus

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Yeah, the book isn't cheap; but it's high quality in production and content.

HackMaster Basic Plus pdf is available for anyone that's gone through the free basic pdf and wants a little more without dropping the cash for the full PH.

It contains the character creation rules along with new equipment and advancement rules up to level 10.

HackMaster Basic Plus
So, this takes the place of the "old" HM Basic Revised?

Remove ads