Hackmaster HACKMASTER Basic - for free! - Page 3

+ Log in or register to post
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

° Ignore Nathal
    I paid for it to, and gave my print copy to a friend since I haven't had time for an actual game. Now I get it back in PDF, so my generosity has been rewarded!

Quote Originally Posted by ShinHakkaider View Post
    Yeah and now I feel like a schmuck because I actually PAID for this a few months back.

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

° Ignore techno
    I have been reading the free HMB book today. I am surprisingly impressed with it. It has convinced me to buy the PHB and the HOB. I thought Hackmaster was a "parody" game and not a serious RPG. Apparently, that has completely changed. The book I read today got me much more energized than anything I have seen in D&D Next so far (which, granted, is still only in early playtesting). I am seriously considering getting off the WotC treadmill and, right now, Hackmaster is a serious contender based on what I read today. I am especially intrigued by the "real time" combat system. Sounds very different, chaotic, and fun. I play D&D 4e and my players usually have to wait 5-8 minutes before taking their turn again. For our teenage players, waiting is boring and they tend to tune out quickly. I am intrigued by Hackmaster's approach to keeping everyone actively involved in combat at all times. I was also very surprised to see so much emphasis on non-combat role playing. Honor seems to be a great approach to rewarding good role playing. With a name like "Hackmaster," I figured the game would only focus on one thing--combat. I was pleasantly surprised to learn this was not the case.

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

° Ignore Agamon
    Quote Originally Posted by techno View Post
    I thought Hackmaster was a "parody" game and not a serious RPG. Apparently, that has completely changed.
    This is something KenzerCo has been fighting for a couple years now. If you don't read Knights of the Dinner Table or visit the forums, it's an understandable conclusion. I think what they did here was mostly to combat that viewpoint, nice to see it's helping.

Novice (Lvl 1)

° Ignore Wraith101
    Very impressed with this. One of the best 'freebies' I have ever downloaded.

Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

° Ignore ArmoredSaint
    I really like this game.

I'm just sorry that it doesn't include plate armour...

Novice (Lvl 1)

° Ignore Zelkon
    My god. This is the most disgusting system I've ever seen! And people say D&D 4e inhibits role-playing.

Gallant (Lvl 3)

° Ignore griffonwing
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmoredSaint View Post
    I really like this game.

HackMaster DOES include plate armor. It is simply not in the Basic book (which covers everything needed up to level 5) because it is advanced/expensive armor.

Just like how there is no higher level spells in HMBasic, like Teleport. The game has them, just not the basic book.

Magsman (Lvl 14)

° Ignore Treebore
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelkon View Post
    My god. This is the most disgusting system I've ever seen! And people say D&D 4e inhibits role-playing.

I take it you didn't read about Quirks and Flaws? Because unlike 4E this is a mechanical system that encourages you to take such personality aspects and role play. So it strongly encourages you to role play. So does the Honor system. So you may want to read the PDF again.
    It is the spirit of the game, not the letter of the rules, which is important. NEVER hold to the letter written, nor allow some barracks room lawyer to force quotations from the rule book upon you, IF it goes against the obvious intent of the game. As you hew the line with respect to conformity to major systems and uniformity of play in general, also be certain the game is mastered by you and not by your players. Within the broad parameters give in the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Volumes, YOU are creator and final arbiter. By ordering things as they should be, the game as a WHOLE first, your CAMPAIGN next, and your participants thereafter, you will be playing Advanced Dungeons and Dragons as it was meant to be. May you find as much pleasure in so doing as the rest of us do.

-1E DMG, page 230

Gallant (Lvl 3)

° Ignore griffonwing
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelkon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Treebore View Post
    I take it you didn't read about Quirks and Flaws? Because unlike 4E this is a mechanical system that encourages you to take such personality aspects and role play. So it strongly encourages you to role play. So does the Honor system. So you may want to read the PDF again.
    Definitely true. If you do not roleplay your class, race, quirks and flaws, then you get docked honor. Low Honor could eventually be detrimental, and has an impact on your standing in the game world. It also incurs negatives to certain rolls.

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

° Ignore KJSEvans
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmoredSaint View Post
    I really like this game.

Plate mail is in the Player's Handbook. Generally, the way treasure works in the game, a 5th level PC wouldn't be able to afford it anyway.

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast