Pathfinder Battles Preview: Opening Big

P

Paizo

Yes, today's featured miniature is the Gug, subterranean terror of Lovecraft's Dreamlands. This horrific monstrosity is the centerpiece of an epic encounter in the Shattered Star Adventure Path. That campaign kicks off this month, with the new Shattered Star Pathfinder Battles prepainted miniatures set currently slated for January.

Read this article at the Paizo blog.

It's a nice job.

Not a fan of minis for crazy Lovecraftian things. They're okay but are really only good for what they represent and other crazy Lovecraftian things. It's distracting using something hideous like that for a regular Large creature. The PCs know they're fighting ogres but that thing just looks so much cooler than it makes a dramatic life-or-death struggle with ogres more... blah.

seankreynolds

Adventurer
Jester, so your comment basically is, "It's a nice mini, but using a cool mini like that in place of an ogre mini makes a fight with actual ogres less cool"?

Jester, so your comment basically is, "It's a nice mini, but using a cool mini like that in place of an ogre mini makes a fight with actual ogres less cool"?
Yeah, pretty much.

It's a mini I will never use unless I need a large-sized humanoid aberration (or, possibly, demon/devil). It's just less desirable for a large-sized stand-in, while a generic giant humanoid can typically work as a troll or giant or ogre. It evokes a "by all that is holy, look at that enemy!?!" reaction when all you want is a "crap, ogres!" reaction.
Not to exaggerate too much, but it can impact play. As everyone wants to read the base and find out what exactly it is. There's that tiny extra delay between where you put out minis and when the combt begins.
But I am totally nitpicking at this point.

That said, when you want a "holy poo, what is that??" reaction, it's nice to have a mini like that lying around.

TheObserver

Explorer
While I love the Pathfinder and D&D minis I'm not really a huge fan of the randomization of the boxes. That said I'm more looking forward to the Bestiary Pawns. Currently I use a combination of minis and my D&D Monster Vault tokens. As long as the pawns keeping coming I just might buy more from Pazio.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases