Is the MMO dying?

Hal G

First Post
I think MMO's have hit the wall. I feel that people are tired of the samo samo even if you swap genres. I know from personal experience that I have been disappointed in the last few releases of MMO's.
I feel I am the normal person who plays and I lost interest and am thinking I may not play for awhile. I may get GW2 simply because its a one time expense.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
That isn't entirely true. Those who get highly involved in them tend to drop out of their other social circles, so those social circles are also affected.

This is no different than when a person gets highly involved in *any* hobby, though. MMOs just happen to have drawn millions into them pretty much all at once.

Okay, fine...they have an effect. However, it is neither a positive nor negative effect objectively. It's only negative if one chooses to take a selfish view of it. Being upset at somebody because they don't want to have your fun, is selfish. Getting upset at the thing that took them away from you is also selfish, and more than a little bit entitled. Nobody has a right or priority to their friends time as concerns requiring them to participate in the pursuits that you find fun. If your friends want to play MMO's rather than playing in your tabletop game, you only have two rational choices: either go play MMO's with them (because it's more important to you to do things with your friends, and not necessarily always doing what you want to do with your friends), or find more friends that do want to play tabletop games. Anything else is irrational, foolish, and entitled. And comments like "If only MMO's would die off!" and "If any help is needed, I have a shotgun here...", are incredibly blatant examples of that irrationality, foolishness, and entitlement...with the latter of the those two statements being completely inappropriate and unacceptable by any standard.

However, I do find it ironic that some will quite quickly point out some posters opinions for even a hint of exhibiting a sense of entitlement, but this time support those now clearly showing exactly that without even a comment addressing the display of entitlement. I also find it very disapointing that such an inappropriate post was completely ignored by others reading this thread. In todays climate, and in light of recent events, I would think that threatening firearm violence, or even hinting at firearm violence, whether a joke or not, would be viewed as absolutely inappropriate...period.:erm:

But all of this is still of no concern to the subject of this thread or the source article. If people are set on talking about their dislike of MMO's or the effect of MMO's success on other pursuits, I would request forking the thread for that conversation.

Last edited:

Agamon

Adventurer
Yikes, I make a silly joke and get a bunch of defensiveness in response. I really don't care, aside from the easy funny. Had I known the MMO ego was so fragile, I'd have refrained...

Krug

Newshound
Well I don't see them dying off, but the market is becoming increasingly fragmented and free-to-play seems to be the way to go for most. I was a hardcore WOW player once and only go back with the new expansions. I just don't have time to raid and the role-playing in MMORPGs is sorely lacking.

renau1g

First Post
Yup- we have at least one player who occasionally flakes on us to participate in some kind of MMO.

I lost my DM to Second Life, and back when Warcraft came out, we lost a guy to that.

I personally think they're changing, not dying. The F2P model that Farmville offered seems to have some significant profitability improvements even if it does take away that nice stable revenue stream of monthly payments. DDO had success doing this, as did LOTRO (IIRC).

I watched this video before and I enjoyed it, seems like a well thought out and well done.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXA559KNopI]Extra Credits: Microtransactions - YouTube[/ame]

Chairman7w

First Post
I think Free to Play is a brilliant model, and have considered picking up The Old Republic, just because it IS FTP.

I don't thjnk it's going anywhere any time soon. Slowing down maybe, but not going any where. And there'll be some cool innovations to bring out more players, too, in the future.

Well I don't see them dying off, but the market is becoming increasingly fragmented and free-to-play seems to be the way to go for most. I was a hardcore WOW player once and only go back with the new expansions. I just don't have time to raid and the role-playing in MMORPGs is sorely lacking.

Krug

Newshound
One of the biggest issues I had with WOW was that the quests became so uniform and colourless, especially those that catered to both factions. The most interesting quests that had a lot of background on the race and class, such as in the starting zones.

Compared to the quests in Skyrim or Dragon Age, where one had to make certain moral decisions, the quests in MMORPGs are generic and kind of bland.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
There is an oddity in commerce these days (not limited to MMOs, or gaming, but most anything) - any significant loss (and occasionally a less-than-significant loss) gets tossed around as "Is X dying?!?!!?1!" I have to wonder if the hyperbolic approach leads to added anxiety and negative speculation, and actually tend to drive the thing in question towards death.

Edit: I can add a fairly simple real-world example - the stock market. Value in the current market is really a matter of consensual reality, such that perception of value may in some cases be more important than the actual assets of a company, and talk about things begin unstable can lead to instability...

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases