[DND NEXT] So are we allowed to do this play by post now?

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
Yeah sorry from my part I waited to roll monster initiative till after you guys all rolled not sure why

And so what happen is they went last and died

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Next combat is swingy in the sense that the unit of challenge is not a specific encounter but a collection of encounters. So, a few small quickies are to be expected, much like in 3.x moreso then 4 (one reason I had to change a lot of 3x encounters for PbP---too many small combats).

Someone

Adventurer
One thing that I need to ask: Where does it say Someone should be adding his ability modifier to damage? I think that ability modifier is just added to attack for spells (and for determining Save DCs). Without the four extra damage, might the one beetle still be alive?

I don't have the playtest documents at hand so I can't give you a quote, but it specifically says that attacks and magical attacks add the ability modifier to hit and damage. I assume that spells like burning hands that work on saves don't, since they're not labeled as magical attacks in the description. Shocking grasp and Ray of frost, however, are.

Moon_Goddess

Going to have to disagree there, I can find no reference to adding ability mod to magical attacks.

I do finded that the Str and Dex sections specifically state they add to attack rolls and damage roles, while Int, WIS and CHA list only attack rolls.

Someone

Adventurer
It's difficult to find, since the relevant info is spread and duplicated many times, but you can find it at page 12 of the "how to play" document:

Damage Rolls

Each weapon and spell indicates the damage it
deals, such as 1d8 or 2d8. Roll the dice, add any
modifiers (including the ability modifier you used
to make the attack), and apply the damage to your
target. Magic weapons, special abilities, and so
forth can grant a bonus to your damage

For the sake of completeness:

Attack Spells

Some spells let you make an attack roll. You
resolve such an attack as normal, except that the
attack seldom relies on Strength or Dexterity. An
attack spell almost always requires you to use your
magic ability, which is specified in the class or
other source that gave you the spell. For instance,
wizards use Intelligence to make their spell
attacks, and clerics use Wisdom.

Last edited:

Moon_Goddess

The second part refers only to attack rolls not damage rolls...

The top part... Seems to conflict with the text of the ability scores.

I'll allow your indention but I do not agree that is the correct interpretation.

Moon_Goddess

If the adventure text is unclear there, the Pech leader is waiting on you guys to decide if you will fight or talk before pushing further into the room.

Thought I'd pop in to say that this is an interesting thing you're doing and I'm planning on peeping while you play. Should make for a good distraction from studying. :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases