[DND NEXT] So are we allowed to do this play by post now?

Someone

Adventurer
We might as well use this thread about playtest impressions.

I liked how the initial choosing of background can help with roleplaying - I'm a soldier and my sheet says so, so it's reasonable to think I know about fortifications. However, the benefits are perhaps too well defined; I got three skills and can draw on military connections, so there's not any actual benefit for me if, say, I want to design a defensive position for the gnomes. I wish they kept the more open ended benefits and skill usage they hinted at first, instead of the more rigid and 3e-4e centric skills in the current playtest.

renau1g

First Post
Well, I found it a bit difficult to navigate the documents with my PC needing 5 documents open to make him I believe, the race, the class, the specialty, the backgrounds, the spells, and the character creation guidelines, oh, I guess that makes 6. That's more a presentation thing though of the documents.

Seems like there's a lot of ways to customize and make the character fit what you want background wise and have some minor mechanical benefits. They may be a bit narrow, but I'm ok with that. The noble having 3 retainers is fun and as they are non-combatants, won't break the game.

You can finally add a bit more necromantic flair to the cleric at an early level (which I always liked clerics of death, especially in FR with Kelemnvor where you could be a neutral alignment).

I think I'll still prefer the 4e tactical combat, vs the simpler Next one, but I'd love to see something combine the two, like having a low-tactical one for lesser combats (like say ambushing the night patrol of the bandit keep) and then a more tactical one for important, set-piece fights (like taking on the leader of said bandit keep). IMO, 4e's set-piece combats are the best of any edition, but getting there can be a bit of a slog.

Last edited:

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
Well we've hard our first combat, and it lasted half a round.

It took longer to roll init. I don't like that but I don't know what the answer is.

Kaodi

Hero
One thing that I need to ask: Where does it say Someone should be adding his ability modifier to damage? I think that ability modifier is just added to attack for spells (and for determining Save DCs). Without the four extra damage, might the one beetle still be alive?

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
I'll have to look up the rules to answer our question when i get home tonight but to answer the question about the beetle, no

The beetles had 13 AC and 3 hit point. It was difficult for you guys to miss, and any hit would kill.

Not gonna house rule anything, playtest results... totally pointless combat waste of time.

renau1g

First Post
Yeah, I would hope that if we roll initiative, I'd get to do something ;)

Again, my apologies about the lateness, I appear to have missed posting my vacation time in this thread, I did in the L4W & LEB forums.

Remove ads