Why isn't Waking up in different clothes a creepy thing?

Janx

Hero
Here's a new controversial topic.

You're the protagonist in a move, book or TV show. You've just been knocked out. Perhaps by accident, or nefarious means. Lights go out, scene change, and you wake up in a bed, wearing your underwear or a different change of clothes.

This pretty much means, that while you were sleeping, a human moved you (probably for your safety), removed your clothes (uh, are you a nurse?), and put a Prom dress on you (I am not freakin Barbie doll!).

Now folks in the medical profession may be used to stripping accident victims down and putting a medical gown on them. It's about as impersonable an interaction as they can make it.

When this happens in the bad guy's lair or home of the NPC who's had a crush on you since you were a little person (because they are immortal), that's a bit creepy.

Additionally, it's a got to be hard work for one person to change the clothes of an unconcious person by themselves.

Personally, I think it is more realistic that I simply drag your arse out of the explosion by an arm, leg or shirt collar. From there, let an ambulance pick you up, or if we can't trust the authorities, heft you into the trunk, into my garage, to my couch, and leave you there until you wake up. To heck with between scene clothing changes, I'm pooped out from all that dragging.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
This whole thread, and actually not ignoring the creepiness and turning it into a recurring joke was probably the best part of the movie Knight and Day, honestly...

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Aparently, the writers. Just about everytime this scene happens, the protagonist acts less than concerned or freaked out that somebody's taken liberties with their unmentionables.

Funny. Whenever I see this happen, the first question in the protagonist's mind is, "Where the heck are my clothes!?!" The question gets quickly answered*, however, and the plot moves onwards.

*Usually by way of the entrance of some attractive member of the opposite sex, who claims they needed to get the protagonist cleaned up to treat their wounds properly.

Joker

First Post
Well, in some cases, victims soil themselves. If the authorities weren't an option and I would have to take care of them I would probably strip them, wash them and put them in a tracksuit.
If they feel violated, that's their problem. Even though I might have inadvertently touched their privates, the circumstances were such that I couldn't leave them wallowing in their own filth. On my couch.
However, if they didn't soil themselves I would only remove the items which, if they had been injured, were bloodied.

The reason that characters might not be too concerned with a change of clothes is because they might be more worried about their current situation or the situation that led to their current situation. What happened to the people I was with? Did we beat the aliens? Tell me you TiVo'd the new episode of Louie. Etc.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
This whole thread, and actually not ignoring the creepiness and turning it into a recurring joke was probably the best part of the movie Knight and Day, honestly...

The only two times I even remember it happening where Knight and Day as mentioned above, and Monsters vs Aliens were it is lampooned when the alien kidnaps Susan and she is pretty unfazed because it has already all happened to her once before!

Jhaelen

First Post
Aparently, the writers. Just about everytime this scene happens, the protagonist acts less than concerned or freaked out that somebody's taken liberties with their unmentionables.
I don't recall that ever being the case, unless we're talking about scenes happening in a person's dream where dream-logic rules, and therefore the weirdest things are accepted in stride.

First thing I thought of was the 'P2' movie in which a woman wakes up in an evening gown, chained to a chair. As you'd expect she definitely freaked-out (and for good reason).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases