Besieged by Bones

kinem

Adventurer
Steward Wingate nods, looking at Cáel's claws nervously. "Ah yes. Welcome. The letter we got mentioned your ... appearance. I doubt there are any undead around here, but I remember that my grandfather said there were once skeletons in the woods" the old man says.

"It is time for the oath. I hereby swear to obey the king's wardens in matters of defense of Absten as I would obey the Baron." "I so swear" repeat the three knights.

"It's been mostly peaceful for years around here, thank the gods. Historically the main purpose of Fort Pierre is to hold Absten against attacks from the northern kingdom of Kland, and from the local Red Tusk orcs who claim the Red Forest. This area we guard, near the coast, is the only north-south route which steers clear of the forest."

"I was recently attacked by orcs when I was riding in the forest" Dame Winter admits. "Luckily there were only three of them. They were near an old ruin."

"Yes. Usually the orcs are found in bands of at least a dozen. I think this was an isolated incident, and does not portend any wider conflict with the Red Tusks. We don't recognize their territorial claims, nor they ours, but it's been years since there was any major trouble.

Now as to the keep itself ... Let us take the tour and we will explain as we go ... and feel free to ask questions ..."

The soldiers and servants you meet on the tour greet you respectfully.

[sblock=Info dump]Fort Pierre is a two story structure. The keep itself is constructed from the same gray stone as the outer walls, although the floors possess a hardwood cover and the interior walls sport numerous banners, wall hangings, and curtains. Most of the larger rooms are lit with continual flame lanterns which can be shaded or uncovered. Much of the ground floor consists of barracks. The western end of the fort is the stable.

Stationed at the fort are

50 infantry (greatsword, longspear, chainmail). They also act as guards, and are somewhat interchangeable with the Town Guards of Specton; often men are reassigned from one unit to the other. Each man also has a club which can be used in a grapple or to deal nonlethal damage at an attack penalty.

40 archers (longbow, greatsword, scalemail). They staff the four towers around the fort. There are a total of 12 archers in any given shift, and 3 8-hour shifts per day.

If need be, up to 6 archers can fire from the same tower without penalty. The towers give the archers improved cover.

The archers even have some nonlethal capability: a few blunt arrows which they can fire at a penalty to deal nonlethal damage.

27 cavalry (lance, longsword, shield, chain shirt, light warhorse with leather barding) plus the 3 knights who are their leaders. The cavalry are most often used to patrol the lands nearby.

Various servants (stable hands, cooks, cleaners). There are both males and females among both the soldiers and the servants, but most soldiers are male and most servants female. All are human.

Steward Luke Wingate oversees most of the routine activity at the Fort, including financial matters.

There is enough food stored at the Fort to last about 3 weeks.

Part of the food comes from a secret item in the upstairs kitchen, which only a few servants and leaders know about: a cauldron of plenty, which magically produces enough food for 36 people per day. Once a week, it can produce a special feast for up to 12 people which fortifies the body and mind for half a day.

There is an underground stream which can be accessed through the cellar for fresh water and waste disposal.

The leaders eat upstairs, and mostly have large rooms up there. (Sam the Ram lives on the ground floor.)

Each Warden is assigned a large room upstairs, with a comfortable bed.

The room where the Baron himself lived is locked, and is the only large room left unused. Steward Wingate does not offer to show you inside it, but you can request to see it.

The library is also upstairs and looks to have an extensive collection of books and nonmagical scrolls.[/sblock]
"No doubt you'll want to freshen up now. By the way, there is a traveling entertainer who came here today. If you like, she can perform for us during tonight's dinner."

SelcSilverhand

First Post
The smell of old leather and aging paper is like a sirens call to Rollen. He traces fingers lightly over the spines as he reads the titles. "So much knowledge, so much history." he murmurs as he wanders. It isn't until their guide coughs politely that he notices the others have already gathered at the exit and are looking restless. With one last lingering look, he turns to follow the others out.

As talk turns to the welcoming dinner his stomach growls noisily. "A dinner and entertainment? It would be a fine thing indeed. Please extend our invitation to the entertainer. Do you know what sort of entertainment she has in mind? Juggling? Storytelling? Exotic Dance perhaps?" he says hopefully.

kinem

Adventurer
Luke Wingate chuckles. "We'll see."

As the group leaves the library, he locks the door, and hands a key to Rollen.

[sblock=Rollen]Using the library to make a knowledge check takes 1d4 hours. It
- enables untrained knowledge checks vs. any DC (normal limit is DC 10)
- gives a +2 bonus on knowledge checks in:
Arcana, Engineering, Geography, History, Local, Nature, Nobility, Religion[/sblock]
"By the way, the chapel is downstairs at the East end of the long corridor. Weiss, I wish you luck in handling the spiritual needs of these folk. Now I must prepare myself for dinner. Meet in the dining room in about an hour."

ooc: You can ask questions now or explore the keep. Otherwise I will move on to the dinner scene next time I post.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Diego Jose Delgado decides to take an inspection of the troops before dinner, first dropping in on the infantry and making small talk with the men about where they come from and how they found themselves in the military. As he speaks with them he appraises the quality of their swords and armor. "While I am passing through, do you men have any concerns when it comes to being given the equipment and manpower you need to fulfill your duty? Are you well received in town? Perhaps I might join you for a patrol one morning."

He then inspects the archers and their towers, pointing to some of the geography around the towers and asking questions about various buildings and natural sites where opposing units might be able to approach under cover. "This is quite a beautiful country. Would you mind allowing me to share a scheduled watch with you sometime? I would like to take it all in at night."

He also takes time to meet with the cavalry and their three knights. "It's is wonderful to see fellow horsemen here. Do you switch out horses or does each man stay with one mount? Are there spare horses when one goes lame or is in need of rest? Perhaps I might join you for a ride on an afternoon. I would very much like to take in the scenery up close."

After making arrangements, Diego then meets with the servant or servants assigned to him. "I am a simple man of fine tastes. I would like several different outfits made available for me. I require a set of clothing worn by the keep footmen, another for the archers, and a final set worn by the cavalry so that I may better fit in when I decide to join each particular unit in their toils. I also require a formal outfit for meeting the various lords, such as at tonight's dinner. It does not have to be expensive, but it should be appropriate. I leave this to your discretion as you have a better understanding of local customs than my foreign self. Finally, I would like a small bottle of wine made available with my meals at night. Again, nothing expensive, but definitely something local. Perhaps from one of the smaller vineyards. Do not replace the bottle until it is empty as I do not plan to down a whole bottle nightly, as I am not a drunk.

Finally, I can put on my own armor and ready my own weapons, though if there is an emergency that requires my immediate attention it would be to everyone's benefit if someone could come and assist me so I can be made ready for combat all the quicker. I will let you know if your service displeases me in any way, and I would ask that you give me the same respect if something of my manners disturb you."

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Cáel remains silent throughout Wingate's explanations and the questions and answers. In between the end of the talks and dinner, Cáel walks the battlements, pondering the situation.

kinem

Adventurer
The men are pleased that Diego takes an interest in the details of their equipment and patrols.

One answers "Sure, you're welcome to come with us any time. We've never had serious trouble in recent years, so it's hard to say how prepared we really are. I think we're well enough equipped. I've also served in the city watch. There we have saps to deal with less serious offenders. Maybe those could come in handy here someday too. Not a big deal though."

The archers show Diego the lay of the land and would also like his company. Between the sea, a few rocky hills, and the forest, the archers can target anyone using the main north-south route or going to Specton, which lies to the west on a small peninsula. The forest is the main weakness in this setup, since it can be used both as an alternate north-south route and as cover to get within bowshot of the keep.

The cavalry too welcome him. Of the three knights, Sam the Ram seems the most willing to show him around. For the most part, each man stays with the same horse. There are just a few spare warhorses, but also some light horses that have not been combat trained and are mainly used by the servants.

A young man named Hal Miller is assigned to assist Diego.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

At the dinner table, in addition to the four Wardens, the three knights, and Steward Wingate, Sergeant John Lowe of the infantry and Mark Hatfield of the archers are present, as is the young acolyte Herman Rand who bears a symbol much like that of Weiss Magie.

The meal is served by Michelle, a friendly young maid.

The food - roast beef, bread, wine, and apple pie - is fresh and and tasty, although prepared relatively simply. Spices are not unknown here, but are mostly exotic and rarely used.

A tambourine shaking is heard, and the entertainer makes her entrance.

[sblock=dancer]
Tambourine_Dancer.jpg
[/sblock]

"Good evening!" She twirls and plays. "I am Shelia!"

As she goes through her act, she moves around the room, flirting a bit, especially with the Wardens.

"Ah, adventurers! You must have exciting tales! What was your most famous adventure?"

[sblock=Mark Chance]You still need to finish your PC & post in the RG.[/sblock]

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Diego smiles a good-natured, but mischievous manner. He stands, bows to the dancer, then looks to the lords and lady as he starts his tale. "I have a mostly true tale. There was this time that I was squire to a well intentioned, but near sighted old knight. He was also a bit eccentric and set in his ways, and he swore that in his younger years he and his fellow band would ride the countryside of my home seeking giants to slay. Though no one would substantiate this claim, I suppose if he were to be believed, they had a bit of a giant problem back then." Diego spins his tale further, talking of his travels with the old knight and some other squires and their fruitless search. He highlights the horrible weather and terrible camp life as equipment steadily worsened as did everyone's health during these travails. Diego also mentions the skeptical community of people that they met and their mockery of the old knight and his suffering squires. "So finally even the old man is ready to call it quits, though he insists on going out on patrol for one more day near some open farmlands. The weather mercifully lets up and a gentle wind is blowing, so as you can imagine, all the local hands are out to work the land. On the other side of the field stands a large, ruined windmill sits innocently enough, its pock-marked arms spinning erratically in the breeze. Well, my well meaning but near sighted master sees this and starts spitting about it being a stone giant and how he'll protect the people from the beast. He spins his horse around and readies it for a charge, the old mare making a spectacle of stomping his hoof while the old knight lowers his visor and readies his silver lance."

"We should have said something, or stopped him, but what could we have done? His yell was so sudden, his actions so crazy to us, and our condition so poor at this point that all we could do was stare open-mouthed as he galloped forth. The farm hands were quicker on the uptake, so they hooted and hollered in laughter as they pointed and watched the charge. It was the best comedy they had seen in quite awhile. After what seemed like an eternity, he closed the distance on the windmill, screeching like a dervish, and in site of the whole local populace he finally made contact with a jarring ripping of stone and metal. The lance went through the old ruined windmill and snapped somewhere inside of it, the old mare screamed and fell, the great knight was thrown and landed upon his back unmoving."

Diego stops telling his tale and moves to his glass of wine, savoring a taste. With a sigh he says, "This is an excellent vintage I must say." He notices the staring group of people and smirks. "I'm sorry, you probably want me to finish my tale. The old knight was fine, but stunned. By the time we ran to him he was beginning to stand and dust himself off. Now that he was close to the windmill he could see it for what it was and apologized to us in embarrassment, though none of the locals heard him. The mare even survived. That ancient companion of his lived for another couple of years, no worse for wear. But the most incredible thing was the sight of blood seeping from out of the ruined windmill. It seems a hill giant had decided to hide its loot and sleep inside the long abandoned building the night before. If it had awoken, it would surely have terrorized the farmers, but it never did. The tip of my master's silver lance and gone through its sleeping eye and snapped as it entered the hill giant's brain. We were feted as heroes and the money from the horde made the small party of us quite well off. I suppose that sometimes it is not at all a bad idea to go tilting at windmills." With another sip and a smile, Diego sits down.

Last edited:

kinem

Adventurer
The entertainer continues dancing as Diego tells his tale, punctuating the tale with the tambourine at key points. When he finishes, the assembled company claps, and she goes into a more vigorous twirling and tambourine routine, approaching and teasing people in the process. It's an impressive performance.

"Wonderful! Who is next to tell his tale?"

Last edited:

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
The dancer's eye catches Cáel's. The taciturn ranger looks away. He speaks softly.

"No tale to tell. No great adventures to brag about. Creatures do bad things. I hunt them down and kill them. Sometimes I get paid. Sometimes I don't."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases