Besieged by Bones

SelcSilverhand

First Post
Rollen laughs aloud and claps at the conclusion to Diego's story. Stories like his always made nights in the taverns merrier. He filed it away to use himself if he was ever on the road again.

As his turn comes up, Rollen rises to his feet and bows dramatically. "A fine tale Diego, and it sets the mood for more tales. He turns to the dancer and smiles. Alas, my most famous adventure did not end so well for me, but I have a story more fit for a night of feasting. It is the tale of how I very nearly became a criminal rather than a warden." He refills his wine glass and wets his lips before continuing.

"I had traveled to the city of Irthos by a long road and arrived nearly penniless. I had it in my head that more people meant more to hear and appreciate my music and thus I would have a little more jingle in my pocket. It was the logic of a young man and would have worked well had I been the first to come to that conclusion. I did not know at the time but the city had guilds for everything including music. I tried several taverns but could not find any that would employ me without guild approval. I resorted to playing in the street but would barely collect enough to feed myself before having to outrun other guild members.

I was becoming more desperate as the nights turned colder and I was still without a roof over my head. One evening a shifty looking character approached me and said his name was Finks. He said I looked like a man who needed a job. Of course I said Yes and followed him off to meet with some other rough looking characters. They told me they had a job that would pay well. All's I needed to do was to climb up into a third floor window, liberate a box, and return to them and I would get a share of the bounty.

I agreed to the job with some hesitation. I do not believe in stealing but an empty stomach and freezing limbs makes for a powerful motivator. I wandered the city until dusk trying to work up my courage. As I passed by a garden I saw a lovely purple rose, the only one that had bloomed. I saw it as a sign of luck from Shelyn so I clipped it and placed it safely inside my shirt. When full dark had overtake the city I put on my mask and crept to the wall of a rich manse to begin climbing. It was hard work, with frozen fingers barely able to cling to the side of the sheer wall. It would have been impossible save for the stone frescoes and gargoyles. Finally I reached the window ledge of the third floor and tumbled inside. It was dark, but I could see the dim outlines of a bedroom. I wasn't prepared for that, I thought my goal was a study or sitting room. My surprise was driven away when I saw what sat at the end of the bed. It was a pedestal for a single dark wooden box. It's lid was open revealing a large emerald on a platinum chain. It glittered in the faint starlight and looked to be the greatest treasure in the world and the solution to all my problems.

Then I heard the gasp.

I had forgotten about the bed. It's occupant was sitting up now and staring at me with large brown eyes. Her dusky skin was revealed here and there by her disheveled nightgown. Her lips were slightly parted and her chin quivered. In a moment she would call for the guards.

"Jewel of Irthos", I begged, "Please do not cry out for it would break my heart to come at last into the presence only to be driven away."

She shook her head, her long black hair brushing bare shoulders.

"What are you doing here stranger? Why have you come?" she said, still sounding unsure and ready to call for help.

"Long have I admired you from afar, your beauty and grace are as bread and wine to me. You shine from your tower like a lighthouse, guiding the love lost. Many nights I have looked up from the streets below and longed to be in the safe harbor of your embrace."

Even in the darkness I could see a blush creeping up her neck to touch her cheeks.

"Alas, I am not a wealthy man, nor have I lands or title. I have nothing to offer you that the world values. All that I have is this humble gift in which I see a reflection of your loveliness."

I drew the purple flower from inside my shirt and held it aloft for her to see.

"I came here to leave this, for I must leave forever before my longing drives me mad. I am a moth drawn to your flame and I must fly away to live. "

I set the flower down upon the emerald, my fingers hesitating for only a moment as they brushed the prize beneath the flower. She was still staring at me, her mouth half open in wonder at my profession of love. Sensing my one chance I strode to the window and stood balancing upon the edge.

"Wait! I do not even know your name!" She cried out.

"It would warm my nights to hear my name from your lips. It is Rollen."
"Rollen" she said in a whisper.

With that I dropped from the window sill and caught the ledge beneath it, quickly dropping to the side out of sight of her window. I heard her come to edge looking to see what had become of me. Soon I was on the ground again and out of sight. Knowing that my "partners" would no doubt cut my throat for failing to do their work I hid until morning when I could leave the city along with the morning crush of travlers and merchants.

I saw her one last time as I left the city. She was near the docks, looking at the faces of the sailors as they prepared to cast off. The talk of lighthouses and safe harbors must have put it into her head that I was a sailor. I left by the gate leading into the hills, finding my way back out to the smaller hamlets where a single musician brings joy and always finds a hot meal and a warm hearth.

To my dying day though I will hold the picture of her standing before the rising sun with the emerald at her neck and that purple rose braided into her hair and wonder what her name was."

With that he toasts his unknown woman and sits down once again.

kinem

Adventurer
The assembled company claps at the telling of Rollen's tale.

Dame Ann Winter smiles a little. "Sounds like she's the one who stole your heart."

The dancer claps, and dances, shaking the tambourine. "Criminal or warden? Who knows what any of us are capable of!

What about you, priest?"

renau1g

First Post
Weiss listened attentively while the others told their tales, the priest had no great tales of valour, nor great adventures. He looked at the dancer with an almost sheepish look.

"Good lady, I have little of any grand nature, I was born a simple peasant, I have hewn trees, sewn seeds, and milked cows. In more recent days, I have healed the injured, I have assisted those suffering from droughts with divine water, kept wild animals from stealing the livestock, and once, even had an audience with our late Baron. I suppose that is the most interesting tale, although one that feels entirely uninspiring next to these fine men. I was thanked by the Baron for assisting his people in the Great Drought, helping keep foodstuffs from being ground to nothing. He awarded me an expertly crafted weapon from the North, although I loathe to have to use it, and a wand that can aid in caring for the injured even after I've exhausted my own magic." the cleric states.

kinem

Adventurer
"Nothing wrong with that!" the dancer declares, and launches into another dance and tambourine routine.

When she's done, she takes a bow, and exits after the applause.

Steward Wingate says "Well that was fun, and it's good to know a bit more about the new wardens."

The young acolyte Herman Rand says "Weiss, you do good work for the people and our god! I hope I can do as well!"

ooc: If you have any questions for the NPCs this would be a good time to ask. Otherwise I'll move on.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Diego says with a smile, "An excellent show and a superb first night. Thank you all so much for your hospitality. I am indeed quite pleased that I answered your Lord's summons. If there is nothing more, though, I shalt turn in for the night. It was a long journey and I am looking forward to a bright and early morning."

SelcSilverhand

First Post
Rollen turns to speak with Dame Ann Winter regarding the area around them. "I would be interested in learning more about the lands nearby, the different groups currently in power, and how they view us. Is there potential to form an agreement to patrol the borders or other alliances that may improve stability in the area?"

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Cáel perks up a bit. "Such concerns also interest me. I am...uncomfortable within walls and under roofs. Patrolling the wilderness...suits me better." The ranger looks around a bit and then shrugs, as if to apologize for being so long-winded.

kinem

Adventurer
Ann replies "Well Rollen, Cáel, it's customary to put it in terms of the compass directions.

To the west is the ocean, and the town of Specton. If you stick to the main road you wouldn't know it, but Specton lies on a penninsula, and there is some good farmland there. It's the heart of the Barony, you might say.

To the east, as you know, is the forest. Further east are the Red Mountains. The Barony claims the forest, but in reality, the forest is full of orcs and they control it. I don't know how many orcs there are, but given the size of the forest, it's probably many thousands in all. Luckily, they are not united. We have little contact with them, and it's best to keep it that way.

The forest has less dense areas a little north and south of here that we sometimes go to, and usually there's no trouble with the orcs, except that last time I went riding.

To the south is Baron Ludd. I've met him, and he seems short-tempered, but well meaning. His lands are larger than Absten, and the forest is thinner.

To the north is Baron Hawt. He's a clever man, I guess. Young for a Baron. He asked me ... well, he is not my type. His lands are hilly.

Further north is the nation of Kland. It's a harsh land, mountainous, with cold winters. History tells of many invasions from there, and at times, Absten was conquered."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases