Besieged by Bones

kinem

Adventurer
"Yes. As I mentioned before the tour today, last week after the Baron's funeral I went riding in the forest and was attacked by three orcs. It was in the part of the forest to the north which is usually safe, but I went a bit deeper in than usual. I saw an old ruin there. They are not uncommon. I guess in the old days, the land was cleared and people lived where the forest is now. With luck, I managed to defeat the orcs."

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
The ranger nods. "Ah, I had forgotten." He pauses, scratching his chin. The claws rasp against the stubble. When he speaks again, he may only be thinking aloud, for his eyes do not look at anyone in particular. "Ruins attract orcs as garbage attracts rats."

SelcSilverhand

First Post
"Could they be using the old ruins to raid from? Perhaps a tribe has moved into it and are claiming more territory. It may be a valuable first exercise to send one of our patrols out that way to check it out."

kinem

Adventurer
"If there were other orcs around, they could have called for help" Ann says.

Sir Donald Rand says "Maybe those orcs found something valuable but hard to take out in the ruins. That could explain why they attacked. They didn't want anyone going there."

Steward Wingate says "It's best to leave the orcs alone. If we start raiding their territory, they will do the same to ours. And they might outnumber us. We can't risk that."

The servants begin clearing the table.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
"Vermin don't have territory," says the ranger. "The rats' nest that is left alone because it's over there soon expands to over here." He shrugs. "That aside, no one suggested an armed incursion. At most, questions have been asked."

kinem

Adventurer
"Orcs are not known for making subtle distinctions as to the nature of an incursion" Steward Wingate says. "Well, I have given you my advice. I have a deal of experience in local matters and you would be wise to heed me. But you Wardens are in charge of defense matters, and I am not, so I will leave it at that.

It's been a long day. Good night, then."
He stands to leave.

kinem

Adventurer
After the meal, everyone is full and tired, so after the requisite pleasantries the group heads to their rooms.

The wardens' individual rooms are all well-appointed, with comfortable beds, and all on the upper level of the keep. They are lit by continual flame lamps, which can be covered, and contain a screened off chamber pot which can likewise be covered. Soon the wardens are fast asleep.

It is an hour or so after midnight when a knocking on the door or the muffled sound of a signal horn awakens each of you.

A frightened guard is making the rounds upstairs, waking everyone up.

He explains "Sir! The keep is surrounded! We are under attack! The enemy is ... er, that is ... it's dark out there, but they seem to be skeletons!"

SelcSilverhand

First Post
Rollen stumbles out of his bed, trips, gets up, untangles himself from his bedsheets and stands blinking in his underclothes for a moment. "What's this? An assault?" He begins grabbing his clothes and throwing them on along with his armor. "Rouse the others! I'll head for the outer wall." He finishes buckling on his gear and grabbing his weapons before heading for the battle.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Diego scrambles out of bed after being alerted to the danger. He dons his armor and weapons, grabs his gear, and heads out towards the outer wall. He thinks to himself as he hurries along, If it's skeletons, archers will only be somewhat effective. Maybe tossing stones on top of them would be a better tactic. How many are there? Are we truly surrounded? How did so many appear without the scouts knowing? Who directs them? Questions ricochet through his head as he hurries.

renau1g

First Post
Weiss is up at the knock, he grabs his holy symbol and rushes out in his sleep garments, simple green cotton pants and shirt. Rushing out onto the wall, Weiss spots the armor that the guards are wearing and looks down, realizing he didn't don his.

"One of these days I should try to get used to the mail, it could save my life one day" Weiss thinks to himself as he moves towards the nearest guard and tries to spot what is going on outside. The older man squints but has trouble seeing, so he grabs a pebble (or some other small object) and focuses for a moment, the stone glows with a soft light.

OOC: How tall is the wall?

Weiss would cast Light and then toss the stone if he saw any movement

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases