Besieged by Bones

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
"Relax, Rollen," says the clawed ranger as he swings up into the saddle. "We're not going to engage the horde. Not yet, at least."

kinem

Adventurer
[MENTION=54810]renau1g[/MENTION]: Are you still around?

When everyone is ready and final goodbyes have been said, the iron portcullis is lifted. The pulleys are in good condition but there is a scraping noise as the metal portcullis rubs against stone.

The knights give the signal to move out, and the cavalry obey. The horses file out in a quick but orderly fashion, as they regularly practice doing.

The side of the keep where the gate is faces south, and you see the skeletons encircling the keep at a distance of about a hundred yards.

As the last of the horses file out, you notice that one skeleton has broken from that line and is approaching your group. It has its claws held open and slightly above its head; a gesture which from a human could indicate 'I am unarmed'. The creature carries no weapons or armor, though the claws look dangerous enough.

The archers in the towers hold their fire for the moment, not sure what to do.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Diego says to his comrades with grim mirth, "I'll go forward as you prepare the formation for the charge. Perhaps we are lucky and they wish to give their surrender." He rides forth to meet the creature and upon approach says, "Hail! It would seem as if your forces have accidentally stumbled upon our lands. If you would kindly turn back we'll overlook this slight."

kinem

Adventurer
The skeleton lowers its claws, but doesn't make any hostile move.

"Hail." The creature's voice and accent are strange, but comprehensible. "It is the other way round. We are the Oris people, and this is our land. We have come back. This keep stands where our own stronghold stood. We demand that you turn it over to us."

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Diego responds, "Do you lead this army and if so, by what shall I call you? We are not familiar with the Oris people nor do we recognize their claims. If this is your land, where have you been until now? How far are the lands that you claim? What proof can you give us in regards to your claim? Why do you return now to property that you have long abandoned? Will you see reason or do you intend violence upon us and our own people?"

Last edited:

kinem

Adventurer
"I am one leader" the skeleton replies. "You may call me Meelok.

We have been ... asleep for many years. The barbaric ancestors of your people pushed us out.

We demand only the keep and its immediate surroundings. No more. The site has great significance to us.

We are not normally a warlike people, but we harbor a great thirst for revenge. Give us the keep or we will attack."

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
"Well met Meelok. I am called Diego Jose Delgado de Castille. You ask for much. Allow us to make sure that our nearby fellows remain unmolested by your forces, then I shall bring you case personally to the other lords of the fortress. What shall I tell them you will do with the fort once you have it? Will you simply sit there for all eternity, staring at portals and enjoying the feel of your old land?"

SelcSilverhand

First Post
Rollen sits astride his horse listening intently. Oris, Oris, have I heard that word before?

He shakes his head and returns to studying the undead leader. He wonders still if this isn't some sort of trick to scare them into abandoning the keep. He focuses hard, trying to see through an illusion.

kinem

Adventurer
Rollen doesn't recognize the term 'Oris'.

The skeleton appears to be real, as far as any of you can tell.

"Diego, we can't allow you to summon aid, until we are securely in the keep. You may send a small group to town but they must be accompanied by our ally, who is the man who woke us, and his men. His name is Luke Brin. Note that he does not lead us. Give us some time to arrange it. Obviously given my current condition, I will not go to town.

As for what we will do in the keep, that is yet to be decided, but it is our own business."

The distant ring of skeletons continue to wait, unmoving, while the talk goes on.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Diego nods, "Meelok, I must convene with the others in order to decide our best course of action. I thank you for your honorable behavior thus far. I will return soon with our decision." He salutes then turns to join the others and inform them of what transpired.

"I can't see us giving up the keep, and I'm sure Meelok knows this too. Both our sides are playing for time, but we may learn some valuable information and get free passage to the town to check on the people's condition if we decide to take him up on his offer. Also, since he only wants a small group to travel to the town, we would be able to return many of our fighting men back into the keep. A lot of possible advantages for us to continue our parlay, but a lot more danger for whoever decides to go.

On the other hand, we can throw the gauntlet down and try to ride out en masse. This will result in immediate battle, but we'll have the advantage of having a cavalry force that can conduct hit and run tactics on the outskirts of the battle lines, but with little chance of providing direct support to our besieged forces."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases