D&D 5E So did they just drop modularity ? This is what has me worried.

Grimmjow

First Post
2) But if it is all included in the PHB, arguments will ensue, the DM does not want spell points, a player insists on them.

And, three different types, how arbitrary.

ya arguments will happen. But if its not over spell points of vacian, it will be over something else.
As for three different options for casters, thats fine. One of the main goals in DDN is to give players options when making their characters. One way to cast spells means they dont have options. Three options means that they are not overwhelmed by options.

triqui

Adventurer
Awfully amusing to go back and reread old threads of people decrying the playtest and making grand declarations of "Well, I guess 5E isn't for me!"... when one month later what they want starts showing up, isn't it? ;)

Suffice it to say... I believe anyone who makes a definitive statement about 5E at this point in time is a goober. :lol: Cause in two weeks there'll be a good chance you're proven wrong.

Well, that Mearls' article also mention they have been reading forums and concerns people are expressing there. So the OP post was not useless. Maybe this post was one of the post that inspired the R&D team to change their minds and ditch the previous aproach and favor this new one ;)

Steely_Dan

First Post
ya arguments will happen. But if its not over spell points of vacian, it will be over something else.
As for three different options for casters, thats fine. One of the main goals in DDN is to give players options when making their characters. One way to cast spells means they dont have options. Three options means that they are not overwhelmed by options.

Options are great (but why is "3" key, well, except for The Rule of Three, which I dig...), but the crux of my deal is base classes.

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
Well, that Mearls' article also mention they have been reading forums and concerns people are expressing there. So the OP post was not useless. Maybe this post was one of the post that inspired the R&D team to change their minds and ditch the previous aproach and favor this new one ;)

Except that Mearls talked about modular spell casting like it was a bolt from the blue they just thought up a week ago, which actually depressed me a lot specifically because I remembered this thread and 100 posts arguing back and forth on the idea months ago. My initial feeling was, "man, guess they're not following enworld that much if this idea seems so novel."

Which I realize is a bit whiny of me. ;)

Except that Mearls talked about modular spell casting like it was a bolt from the blue they just thought up a week ago, which actually depressed me a lot specifically because I remembered this thread and 100 posts arguing back and forth on the idea months ago. My initial feeling was, "man, guess they're not following enworld that much if this idea seems so novel."

Which I realize is a bit whiny of me. ;)

This thread seems to be the primary source of the Mearls' epiphany. The original post actually gives a fairly solid suggestion about how to make the magic system modular instead of making generic cries of "Make the Magic System Modular!" The idea of a modular magic system has been floating around for a while, but that was probably the first actual useful system suggestion for it.

Grimmjow

First Post
[MENTION=63245]Evenglare[/MENTION] what are you thinking right now have you read the fourm i posted to you? i came and posted that to see if you content with that or if you had smthing else in mind for casting.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases