Western Movie Choices

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So, I've one player off on a honeymoon, and another who, due to work, has to be late for game. So, rather than run my Deadlands game, we're having a Western Movie Night.

Assume that at least some of the viewers are not aficionados of Westerns. What movies would you suggest?

Recommendations I have so far:

Classics:
The Outlaw Josie Wales
Pale Rider
The Magnificent Seven
High Noon
Unforgiven

The Lighter Side:
Cat Ballou
Rango

Thriller/Horror/Supernatural elements:
The Missing
The Burrowers

At the moment, I'm leaning towards Josie Wales or Pale Rider, because they are so classic. But with Amazon, Netflix, On Demand, and so on, many others can be available on short notice. Your thoughts?

Mercutio01

First Post
Spaghetti Westerns
A Fistful of Dollars
For a Few Dollars More
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
Once Upon a Time in the West

Classics
Shane (a true classic of traditional western film)
True Grit (either version - though the John Wayne version is better, it might be easier for new viewers to accept the newer one)

Modern
3:10 to Yuma (I like the new version better, but either is good)

Inaccurate but still enjoyable
The Quick and The Dead
Tombstone (not the best film, by far, but enjoyable)
Young Guns

NOTE: Of the ones you listed, I'd probably go with either The Magnificent Seven or Pale Rider.

Mallus

Legend
I'm a big fan of both Cat Ballou and Once Upon a Time in the West. Oh, and The Searchers, or, as I like to call it, WTF??!? in VistaVision!

The new True Grit is pretty great, too. The novel's dialog is a near perfect fit for the Coen brothers.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Personally, I can't think of a bad Clint Eastwood western.

High Noon is pretty awesome, as is Shane.

And as far as light ones go, you can't beat Paint Your Wagon, Frisco Kid, and most of all, Blazing Saddles.

For Wierd west, I like one s like Valley of Gwangi, or the TV shows Adventures of Briscoe County Junior, Kung Fu or Wild, Wild West. There is, of of course, also the movie Tremors 4.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
If you can find it: Trail of the Vigilantes. Definitely on the lighter side, half true wit and half spoof. Stars Broadrick Crawford in his prime.

On the classic side there's Winchester '76 and Cimmeron.

Silverado - kitchen sink of western cliches but great cast and lots of fun.
Bite the Bullet - one of my favorite Gene Hackman roles
Jeremiah Johnson - deals with mountain men rather than cowboys but same post-civil war time period and an excellent movie
Open Range - slightly more recent western that I think was too widely overlooked.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Red Sun
My Name is Nobody
They Call Me Trinity
Trinity Is Still My Name
The Wild Bunch
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Quigley Down Under

Remove ads