Marvel Heroic RPG (RECRUITING!)

fireinthedust

Explorer
New York, present day. You are one of the heroes of the Marvel Universe, and were minding your own business when, suddenly and without warning, you got wind of the emergency. Maybe a signal got through to Avengers mansion, or Nick Fury made a call to the Baxter Building. Or, more than likely, you saw it the same time the rest of the world did: S.H.I.E.L.D.'s Helecarrier is under attack! The helecarrier, and goodness knows what reactors, weapons and goods they keep locked up on there... and don't they lock up super-villains on that thing, dangerous ones? Someone, insanely, decided to attack that flying fortress, and if the flames over the Manhattan skyline are any indication, it's going to crash real fast if someone doesn't help.

That someone is YOU! The Avengers are disassembled to the four corners of the planet on different missions, the X-men are in San Francisco, and who knows where the Fantastic Four could be. 9 Million people are left undefended... or rather, left in your capable hands.

Maybe you fly up, maybe you jumped aboard from a rooftop when the ship listed close by, or maybe you hopped on back of one of those flying jet-ski things that are shooting the ship down.

You didn't land alone: a handful of local heroes made it at the same time you did... but can even the combined might of a band of heroes take on whatever force is beating up SHIELD HQ itself?!

This is for the Marvel Heroic Roleplaying Game, Margaret Weis Productions. I'm going to use the pre-gens from the book, if you don't have it I'll send a "modified" copy via PM of that character (slightly different so I don't get dinged for infringment, I guess).

If you have the rules and can make a Marvel character who is equivalent ot the ones in the book (check the website, I believe there are examples), we can talk.

The list of entries I'll allow is below (armor and sentry are out because I don't know who she is, and he's stupidly powerful even compared to Thor and the Hulk):

beast
black panther
black widow
Captain America
colossus
cyclops
daredevil
emma frost
human torch
invisible woman
iron fist
iron man
luke cage
mr fantastic
ms marvel
shadowcat
spider man
spider woman
storm
thing
wolverine

TEAM ROSTER SO FAR
Herobizkit: Spider-man
Victim: Daredevil
Electronic: Storm
Beast: Beast!
PersistenceHunter: Ms Marvel
Jemal: ?
Walking Dad: Namor
IxCptMorganIX: Iron Man

I'm going to need people to correct those question marks and pick a character. I'll game with all of you so long as everyone actually keeps posting! A few times a week is key, or whenever you're on the internet and are tired of not being a superhero (which is I'm guessing a lot).

Last edited:

fireinthedust

Explorer
If anyone wants to learn the system, it's actually pretty neat. I believe it won an award at GenCon for best mechanics.

The gist: you have different aspects of a character, and you rate them with dice. Then, based on the circumstances you're in and what you're trying to do, you make an argument for using certain dice from each aspect. You roll the dice pool and pick the best two rolls. The Watcher (GM) rolls against you, if you beat their roll you succeed. If you intentionally gimp your character dramatically, you get a PP (plot point) that can give you bonus dice later. You can spend a PP to add things to the scene, like if you were playing Iron Man you could say you have a gadget in your armor that could help in this scene in some way.

It's something different, and could be fun.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
None come immediately to mind, which is sad, considering the ridiculous size of the Marvel Universe. How many do I have to choose from?

I do see there are options for completely random heroes on the Margaret Weis site as well... maybe another time...

Victim

First Post
I'm interested. I feel pretty flexible on characters right now; maybe I'll see what other people want to play.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Well if you're giving me free reign...

... man, it's tough playing someone else's IP. There's all this backwash and what everyone expects of you and stuff.

I'd be interested in Gambit, maybe. Or Moon Knight, though I know little about him.

If DC characters are allowed, I would 100% go Booster Gold. Is there a Marvel guy similar to him?

fireinthedust

Explorer
Here's the pre-gen list from the basic game:

armor
beast
black panther
black widow
Captain America
colossus
cyclops
daredevil
emma frost
human torch
invisible woman
iron fist
iron man
luke cage
mr fantastic
ms marvel
sentry (no!)
shadowcat
spider man
spider woman
storm
thing
wolverine

There's others, including Hawkeye, on the site. There's a version of Thor, but he's more powerful than the Sentry presented here, and we know that's a bust. I also have the Civil War book, which includes other versions of the ones presented here, as well as other characters to choose from.

I don't know continuity that well, and once the dice hit the table that no longer matters, even if I set it directly in "continuity".

I don't want to do homebrew just yet, until I get the rules, and quality control (I don't want someone with the superpower "angry beard", with elongated, angry facial hair. This was a real submission to an M&M game I tried to run).

I want a classic team feel, but we can act like Bendis or Brubaker (or Whedon) is writing the dialogue if you like. Superheroes, but real people wearing the masks.

I'd really like it if I didn't have to copy out or post copywritten material, and the game is neat as far as collections go, so I recommend downloading a copy (after buying it, naturally), or even getting a hard copy of the basic game. If not, there are character sheets on the website, and I can talk you through how they work.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases