GenCon Attendance Sets Record with 41,000 attendees!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Gen Con Indy returned to the Indiana Convention Center last weekend, August 16-19, to commemorate a special 45th Anniversary as well as its 10th Anniversary in the city of Indianapolis. Launched with an official proclamation by Indianapolis mayor Greg Ballard, the nation’s largest annual consumer fantasy, sci-fi and adventure gaming convention continued its record growth with a turnstile attendance record of 134,775, including more than 41,000 unique attendees.

“2012 was a year of important anniversaries for Gen Con Indy,” said Adrian Swartout, CEO of Gen Con LLC. “The city of Indianapolis and the greater gaming community have provided us tremendous support, and the welcome Gen Con received for its 45th Anniversary amazed us all. The contributions of our attendees, exhibitors, sponsors, event organizers, volunteers, and the hospitality industry have helped Gen Con reach all-new heights.”

Unique 2012 show attendance rose more than 12% over last year’s prior attendance record, propelled by significant increases to pre-show badge sales and on-site growth in Sunday’s Family Fun Day attendance. Overall, the show has grown in attendance approximately 30% since Gen Con Indy 2010. Turnstile growth for the weekend also was up 9% from last year’s prior record of 119,000 plus weekend attendees. Gen Con’s pre-show Trade Day also expanded, including 232 retailers attending the event, in addition to the growing numbers of educators and librarians that participated in the tracked pre-show program.

“We consider this not only our most successful Gen Con ever, but our most successful convention appearance ever, period,” said Robert Carty, Vice President of Sales and Marketing at Mayfair Games, a Gen Con co-sponsor.

“We love hosting Gen Con in Indianapolis,” said Leonard Hoops, president and CEO of Visit Indy. “For four days, the energy and enthusiasm of 41,000 gamers creates a vibrant atmosphere like no other throughout our entire city. We hope it’s a relationship that never ends.”

Gen Con will return to the Indianapolis Convention Center on August 15-18, 2013. In a prior announcement, Gen Con announced their commitment to the city of Indianapolis until 2020.

About Gen Con Gen Con, LLC produces the largest consumer hobby, fantasy, sci-fi and adventure game convention in North America. It was acquired in 2002 by former CEO and founder of Wizards of the Coast Peter Adkison, who owns the company headquartered in Seattle, Washington. Gen Con is a consumer and trade experience dedicated to gaming culture and community.”

Attachments

• crowd.jpg
    crowd.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,780

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
GenCon Attendance @ 41,000!

Amazing numbers!

“INDIANAPOLIS (August 23, 2012) – Gen Con Indy returned to the Indiana Convention Center last weekend, August 16-19, to commemorate a special 45th Anniversary as well as its 10th Anniversary in the city of Indianapolis. Launched with an official proclamation by Indianapolis mayor Greg Ballard, the nation’s largest annual consumer fantasy, sci-fi and adventure gaming convention continued its record growth with a turnstile attendance record of 134,775, including more than 41,000 unique attendees.

“2012 was a year of important anniversaries for Gen Con Indy,” said Adrian Swartout, CEO of Gen Con LLC. “The city of Indianapolis and the greater gaming community have provided us tremendous support, and the welcome Gen Con received for its 45th Anniversary amazed us all. The contributions of our attendees, exhibitors, sponsors, event organizers, volunteers, and the hospitality industry have helped Gen Con reach all-new heights.”

Unique 2012 show attendance rose more than 12% over last year’s prior attendance record, propelled by significant increases to pre-show badge sales and on-site growth in Sunday’s Family Fun Day attendance. Overall, the show has grown in attendance approximately 30% since Gen Con Indy 2010. Turnstile growth for the weekend also was up 9% from last year’s prior record of 119,000 plus weekend attendees. Gen Con’s pre-show Trade Day also expanded, including 232 retailers attending the event, in addition to the growing numbers of educators and librarians that participated in the tracked pre-show program.

“We consider this not only our most successful Gen Con ever, but our most successful convention appearance ever, period,” said Robert Carty, Vice President of Sales and Marketing at Mayfair Games, a Gen Con co-sponsor.

“We love hosting Gen Con in Indianapolis,” said Leonard Hoops, president and CEO of Visit Indy. “For four days, the energy and enthusiasm of 41,000 gamers creates a vibrant atmosphere like no other throughout our entire city. We hope it’s a relationship that never ends.”

Gen Con will return to the Indianapolis Convention Center on August 15-18, 2013. In a prior announcement, Gen Con announced their commitment to the city of Indianapolis until 2020.

About Gen Con Gen Con, LLC produces the largest consumer hobby, fantasy, sci-fi and adventure game convention in North America. It was acquired in 2002 by former CEO and founder of Wizards of the Coast Peter Adkison, who owns the company headquartered in Seattle, Washington. Gen Con is a consumer and trade experience dedicated to gaming culture and community.”

A

amerigoV

Wow! I need to stop coming to ENWorld. Reading stuff around here you would think the hobby is on its last legs.

renau1g

First Post
Wow! I need to stop coming to ENWorld. Reading stuff around here you would think the hobby is on its last legs.

It's like that anywhere on the internet, PC gaming has been dying for years and years because of consoles, console gaming is dying/dead because tablets, etc, etc.

I'm glad to hear it was a success, I just realized it's only about a 5 hour drive for me. Maybe I'll go to the next one.

Jupp

Explorer
I find it interesting that librarians are specially mentioned in the text. Not being from the US, are libraries an important factor for RPGs over there?

Rune

Once A Fool
I find it interesting that librarians are specially mentioned in the text. Not being from the US, are libraries an important factor for RPGs over there?

If memory serves, the site that birthed this one was started by a librarian...

Gilladian

Adventurer
I don't think so. I'm a librarian - I was surprised to read that remark. I'm a teen librarian and a gamer, and I'd never heard of their preconference track til just now. Too bad my library doesn't allow out-of-state travel. I'd LOVE to go!

Libraries doing electronic gaming with teens is very popular, but not RPGs on any sort of scale.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases