[Recruiting 2 more!] In A Wicked Age RPG Quick Game

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
I want to judge a quick pick-me-up fantasy game of In A Wicked Age. Character creation, adventure back story, quest objectives and conflict results are decided cooperatively between the GM and the players.

The Oracles

First, volunteering players and the GM must come to a consensus about which of the Four Oracles we will use: Blood and Sex, God Kings of War, the Unquiet Past, a Nest of Vipers.

Then I will flip the cards on this webpage and tell the volunteers the results: In a Wicked Age: four oracles

In a sample roll, I ended up with the 7 of Hearts, 4 of Spades, 5 of Diamonds, and 3 of Diamonds. This would result in the following characters and stories in order for us to choose Player Characters and Character Objectives:

Blood & Sex

7H: A spirit of the wilds, mercurial in form, sister to gazelles.
4S: A siren-ghoul, who entices the amorous into deadly peril.
5D: A chattel slave who has broken both his bonds and his master's skull.
3D: A raving prophet, advocating self-mortification and deprivation of the appetites.

God-kings of War

7H: A demon of rage and avarice, secret power behind a great tyrant's rule.
4S: A summoner of illusions and diversions, mild and of good humor, but gullible.
5D: The arrival of unexpected and improbable allies.
3D: A war-sorceress, slender but commanding, with golden hair.

the Unquiet Past

7H: A fallen temple, overgrown with moss and ivies.
4S: A market on the crossroads, full of sound and color.
5D: A gutted tower, home to many birds.
3D: The captain of a foreign troop, sent to collect tribute.

a Nest of Vipers

7H: A squat town on the banks of a wide, long river, rich from plunder, whose men raid up and down the river in their ugly boats.
4S: One mistakenly condemned, fled into hiding.
5D: The solemnization of treaty between two neighboring principalities, negotiated in the face of brutality and assassination, brave and hopeful but quite doomed.
3D: The celebration of a day sacred to the city's chief cult.

Character Creation

Characters can be chosen from the lines above in the chosen oracle or be associated with the characters in the lines above. For instance, in 'the Unquiet Past' example, maybe a PC plays the captain of the foreign troop, or a soldier assigned by the captain to collect tribute.

Characters attributes are assigned values by giving 6 dice (d12, d10, d8, d6, d6 and d4) to the following: Covertly, Directly, For Myself, For Others, With Love, With Violence. So a plundering warrior from 'a Nest of Vipers' example may look like this:

Covertly: d6
Directly: d10
-
For Myself: d12
For Others: d6
-
With Love: d4
With Violence: d8

Depending on the character's actions and intentions, he chooses which dice out of his pool to employ against an opponent, who also employs his dice pool.

Player Characters often also get a special strength, which I will cover later. Maybe that strength is the ability to incite rage in oneself or others like the demon in 'the God-Kings of War' example or illusion magic from the spellcaster in 'the God-Kings of War' example.

Finally, each character should have an objective and be opposed to another character's objective in the game. The accomplishment of the objective should result in who 'wins' at the end.

Characters in opposition to one another will come to an agreement over how their situation is resolved after their dice are rolled. The two gaining slight advantages or disadvantages for future conflict resolution depending upon how the conflict resolution is agreed upon. The rules and GM will help arbiter disagreements between players.

Characters from the oracle cards and created back stories that are not PCed will become NPCs and be run by the GM.

Back Story

As this is interactive, the players and GM will come to an agreement over who the characters are, what story is taking place and overall goals of the protagonists and antagonists. The oracles give some framework, but the players' imagination drives the tale.

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
I'm not sure I have the time for another game but this sounds very interesting.

One question: if two players are attracted to a single line of an oracle could they both use it to create their character or would they need to choose different lines?

'Nest of Vipers' sounds intriguing...

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
One question: if two players are attracted to a single line of an oracle could they both use it to create their character or would they need to choose different lines?

'Nest of Vipers' sounds intriguing...

They could both pick it. Two examples:
1.) King of Clubs with the Blood and Sex oracle reads as follows: "A bandit captain, in hiding, with her trusted bodyguard." This is obvious, as the one line names two characters and so there is no reason not to play a bandit captain and the bodyguard with two different players.
2.) 4 of Hearts with the Unquiet Past oracle: "An ambitious petty-wizard, quick to take offense." In this example, the petty-wizard is the an obvious character. But another player may look at that line and decide he wanted to play the wizard's long suffering assistant. Or perhaps he plays the latest person to accidentally offend the wizard and is suffering from a curse laid in response to the offense.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Potentially much more intricate than I originally thought. And so, much more interesting...

If you'll have me, and we can get others interested, then count me in.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Sweet! We've got one player and with him 1 vote for the 'Nest of Vipers' oracle. I think we would need four players total. One other note, a character in opposition to another PC's goals would not necessarily mean they won't side with one another by the adventures conclusion.

In the game's example of play there was one important NPC and four PCs:

NPC and antagonist: A water spirit and the village god, demanding a virgin sacrifice to himself before he saves the region from drought.
PC 1: A desert and virginal princess whose goal it is to sacrifice herself to the spirit and save her people. She is opposed to her uncle's goal of trying to convince her to escape.
PC 2: PC 1's uncle who volunteers to guard PC 1 on her journey, but tries to convince her to live despite the region's suffering. His objective is to kill the water spirit and he is opposed to PC 1's goal.
PC 3: The captain of the harem guard. Selected because he bats for the other team. His goal is to see the princess to her sacrifice in order to rescue the region. Opposed to PC 4, who he is in love with.
PC 4: A young man in love with the princess. His goal is to get the princess to fall in love with him and escape her fate. He is opposed to PC 3's goal.

So the conclusion can go many ways. The princess may successfully sacrifice herself to the water spirit, ending her life and achieving the goals for PCs 1 and 3. She may convince PCs 2 and 4 of the nobility of her sacrifice. The NPC is just part of the back story in this case. Despite PCs 2 and 4 failing in their objectives, they return as heroes to their people with PC 3 and eventually find new objectives for a future adventure despite being devastated at the princesses loss.

Or PCs 2 and 4 can win in their convincing her to seek to live her life. Perhaps they can overpower and convince PC 3 to join them in their fight of the water spirit. The four PCs band together and destroy the water spirit. Maybe that releases the waters into the region and lifts the drought, or maybe not. PCs 2 and 4 win their objectives, and although PCs 1 and 3 fail in their objectives, all four PCs still survive as outcasts from their religion and escape together to a new land with new objectives and a new adventure.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Wow, that's pretty cool. I was originally a bit skeptical about the 'opposed to another character' bit but now that I see an example and see that it is (or can be) much more subtle than I was imagining I like it.

Unfortunately in my years here I've noticed free-form/indie/storyteller style games don't usually get much response here.

I like that oracle tool you linked to earlier and I've been trying to think of ways to use it in other games...

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
It's coming up on a weekend and is a little slow, so I'm not worried about finding players just yet. And there are plenty of active members on this website that would love an RPG like this.

I really love the oracles that were designed for this game. Some people have tried to copy it and create their own on a fan site focused on science fiction, anime and what not but, except for a fan-made set of Oracles for Conan, they are pretty uninspired. I would love to hold a writing contest for either short stories or small adventures on this site using the oracles to randomly generate the background, but we already have Ceramic and Iron DM.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
A post-weekend vacation bump and giving as shout out to those that expressed interest in the RPG before on this site:
[MENTION=38776]madwabbit[/MENTION]
[MENTION=8838]Cassander[/MENTION]
[MENTION=24655]Fraisala[/MENTION]
[MENTION=11195]Seonaid[/MENTION]
[MENTION=17308]Stereofm[/MENTION]
[MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION]
[MENTION=232]Crothian[/MENTION]
[MENTION=2597]Achan hiArusa[/MENTION]
[MENTION=14053]ST[/MENTION]
[MENTION=8314]Ry[/MENTION]
[MENTION=75757]Sir Robilar[/MENTION]
[MENTION=386]LostSoul[/MENTION]
[MENTION=87047]hoplite69[/MENTION]
[MENTION=16317]Woas[/MENTION]
[MENTION=73838]Panikon Deima[/MENTION]

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
What kind of genre/setting were you thinking about for this game?

The oracles selected trend towards low-magic pulp Sword and Sorcery fantasy, found in such things as the Robert E Howard's Conan series and Lieber's Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser series. However, I believe that historical fantasy such as Ashton Clark Smith's or C.L. Moore's stories would also work. Planets and Sandals type science fiction/fantasy like the John Carter of Mars/Barsoom series would also fit.

We would all have to agree on an oracle, then I'll flip the cards and myself and the volunteers can make up the story. If everyone wants to agree on the Nest of Vipers oracle, I can randomly select the cards now and see what flows.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases