[LPF] Greener is the Grass

jbear

First Post
Maui stands for a while staring at Kazimir before he decides he has understood about all he is going to from the man. "So where we are going there are no monsters..."

Maui looks crestfallen before he turns and stalks away with Vincenzo, Taniwha biting at his heels playfully by his side.

OOC: Ready!

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
"Uh, well I wouldn't go so far as saying that. Monsters can show up any where. I know some people can be quite monstrous . . . . . . ."

[sblock=Mini Stats]Vincenzo
AC: 18 (13 flat-footed, 15 touch) (+ variances)
HP: 32/32
CMB: +5 CMD: 17 (+ variances)
Fort: +4 Reflex: +3 Will: +2
Perception: +2
Initiative: +2

Current Weapon in Hand: +1 ivory handled Rapier
Current Conditions in Effect: none
33D3DD
[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
A few brief days later Denizel, Maui & Taniwha, Sylla & Boots, and Vincenzo find themselves returned to the camp of Lucia's followers and are greeted by a cheerful and hectic bustle as last minute tasks are tackled. As the adventurers pass in their search for Captain Threws they see men and women finish the loading of wagons, corral children and numerous small herds of goats, sheep, and cows and call out greetings to their neighbors and the adventurers.

Eventually the group finds Captain Threws in likely the only oasis of calm amidst the swirl of activity of breaking camp. The captain is also likely the only one who is not annoyingly cheerful; she stands next to a wagon with a scowl on her face and a map in her hands. With the arrival of the group she looks up and it is clear that her mind is occupied on the journey to come as she speaks.

"Nearly 700 miles to the Pell." She sighs and shakes her head. "And they are treating it like an afternoon picnic. Madness." Realizing she is letting her doubts show Captain Threws visibly stiffens her resolve, rolls the map, and stuffs it into a case. She takes in the six men, women and creatures arrayed before her and doesn't seem pleased. Striding off she continues speaking. It is obvious she expects to be followed.

"We've mounts for you over here. Good, trained, Pell-bred mounts of the fast and agile breeds favored by the Goti. The train will be moving slow enough that you won't need them if you lack riding skills. Our procession is long, though: twelve wagons, at least twice that in horses, and just over one hundred men, women, and children. And livestock. I would prefer you to be maneuverable. I've men and women walking alongside the wagons armed with staves; not time to train them in much else. They can hold their own for a little while, at least, hopefully long enough for you to arrive and finish any problem that arises. Find a place along the line and I'll get these wagons rolling."

OOC: Apologies for the delay. Time available for posting more limited than usual and occasional site difficulties have slowed me more than normal.

-- - Captain Threws - --

Scott DeWar

"Might I recommend the following? Maui and Taniwah toward the back. You are hunters and know the way of predators at the back of a herd.Denizel toward the front as a spotter and greeter. Sylla, Boots and I in the middle as reserve and shock, To arrive where we have the need most. Thoughts?"

33D3DD
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Systole

First Post
Sylla shakes her head. "The train will be a furlong in length -- thirty or forty heartbeats at a hard ride. Better for two groups -- one at point and one at vanguard -- which also leaves no one to fall alone. Either the wild man or I will take point, where we can read tracks before a hundred head of cattle walk across them."

OOC: Figure one wagon every 70', so about 650' total end to end. A quadruple move for a horse is 200' so we should be able to get from one end to the other in 3-4 rounds. I'd rather not leave anyone solo if we can help it. Sylla doesn't care whether she's front or back, or where Denizel ends up.

Scott DeWar

"Sylla, You read tracks? Best to have you float about the wagon train. The rest of us will come to your aid when you call."

Last edited:

jbear

First Post
Maui goes along with any plan unphased. He chuckles at the idea of riding a horse. "That sounds like fun" he comments. "Maybe after te journey I buy a new magic stick to make you big like te horses, Taniwha. And Maui ride you!" His cat companion lifts a leg in response and begins preening himself.

OOC: Maui is not really one for well thought out strategies. He will happily go where he is told.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Sylla and Boots set off in the vanguard of the train of wagons leaving the others to sort out their own positions as they see fit.

It isn't long before the wagons, traveling their slow way southeast, have left the farmlands close to Martna behind and headed off into the hills and light woodlands between the foothills of the northernmost reach of the Seithr Mountains and the range of mountains farther north and east. It is the best land path between the Landadel Baronies and the grasslands of the Pell as evidenced by the worn track where the Pellmen drove their herds for the market in Martna. The grass is just beginning to recover from its previous trampling.

Traveling with the caravan is tedious and Captain Threws keep you all busy scouting and guarding from sun-up to sun-down. Lady Lucia and Threws and even Kazimir are kept busy heading off problems and riding herd on the settlers. The settlers started the journey full of excitement and eagerness but after a week the patina of joyousness is beginning to wear off and the adults at least are taking on a more stoic affect.

Late in the afternoon of the eighth day, after the wagons have circled, camp is set and small groups of foragers set off on brief foray's to supplement the caravan's supplies a trio of men come rushing out of a nearby copse slightly hunched over as if trying to avoid something. The forager in the lead has a bag clutched to his chest and has a nasty looking scratch on his face. Of the two following closely behind, one has his hand clamped to his ear and the other is ducking and holding his arm raised above his head to shield himself from something.

GM: Based on distance from camp you are all within one or two rounds of the men. I'll post up a map later today. Feel free to rp your dawning awareness that something isn't quite right and whatever you might do at that realization.

Scott DeWar

Vincenzo stands from where he settled for a watch, and with hand on his rapier, he rushes to be at the side of the settlers. "so, a native has been stirred, eh?"

33D3DD
[/sblock]

Remove ads