So, who wants to talk about new Doctor Who (spoilers likely)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
No, that's my standard procedure.
Whether it is a mistake or not is purely subjective.
I find the biggest drawback is that often the other people do not have the frame of reference to know what I'm talking about.

What is this frame of reference to which you refer?

I disliked Amy almost from the start(but love Rory) I just don't get the whole feel of mofit. It almost seams like he doesn't care for continuity or rules from one rap to another.

This whole "I read it in a book" rule that comes out of nowhere bugs me

I mean really how many companions know and read how WW2 ended... But the dalek can thirteen earth in that time... No wait that would be solid time :/

sabrinathecat

Explorer
I suspect that's not the case here. This is a pretty Who-savvy group.
Most fans I've run into are unaware of the Big Finish cannon. Or while they might have heard of it, they don't know the details.
Which is rather funny, because of how much cross-pollination there is between crew, cast, and stories. Several of the best ideas within NuWho were pioneered in BFP. Heck, Tennent's first Doctor Who role was in Dalek Empire II.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Most fans I've run into are unaware of the Big Finish cannon. Or while they might have heard of it, they don't know the details.
Which is rather funny, because of how much cross-pollination there is between crew, cast, and stories. Several of the best ideas within NuWho were pioneered in BFP. Heck, Tennent's first Doctor Who role was in Dalek Empire II.

There's an interesting legal twist to canonicity where the BBC is regarded. Because its funded by the TV license fee, the BBC is bound by a stict charter. That charter requires that all BBC television dramas must be whole unto themselves, and must not require extra purchases [ESPECIALLY from third parties] that ‘complete the story’ - in other words an externally legally proscribed declaration that only what appears on the TV screen is canon. Having a book or audio play be canon would actually violate the BBC's charter; it's actually illegal for the Big Finish stuff to be canon.

Of course, no Who fan cares a whit about that. In fact, RTD famously said that 'canon' in Who was 'whatever you can remember; different for everyone'. He also said that he refused to be 'bound by' anything that had come before, in a sense rendering everything non-canon. Or equally canon. Certainly there are plenty of contradictions, and in a 50-yr old TV series, how could there not be?

In the end, there's no single authority to declare what is canon and what is not, and anybody attempting to claim that authority is just plain wrong.

Canon is what you want it to be, and everyone gets to choose their canon. That's kinda beautiful.

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
Yeah, Who canon is wibbly wobbly at best. After all, he does keep messing with the timeline. Moffat and RTD at least gave comic book explanations (Amy's crack eating time/Great Time War = Superboy Prime punching reality) for their changes. Classic Who writers just didn't give a damn and rewrote canon as they pleased.

Doctor Who basically runs on Hypertime.

I must agree, though, that Moffat's Who never gives me that same butterfly feel of WHOAH as RTD's. But overall I find Moffat's run to be both more emotionally satisfying and more consistent in quality.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Interesting. By that logic, though, shouldn't series 1 be know as Series 27 or 28?
Alternate realities make a great explanation for the inconsistencies between stories, but NuWho has specialized in having series-long arcs, which, by necessity, MUST be consistent. Thus the conflict.
This can never happen again--until next time.
Rose is gone forever--until next series finale.
These are the last Daleks in the Universe--until next time.

I know, I'm just a cranky old guy totally out of touch with modern viewer expectations. I prefer substance over emotion. The fault is mine.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
And this is amusing - is Doctor Who a religion?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Csjr8bXvPw]Is Doctor Who a Religion? | Idea Channel | PBS - YouTube[/ame]​

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases