So, who wants to talk about new Doctor Who (spoilers likely)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Amy seems stuck in some kind of manic mood, and unable to converse in normal tones. Everything she says has a question mark or exclamation point!

That's because she's a red headed Glaswegian, they really do talk like that:)

plus Amy's had a few traumas in her life, she can justify being manic

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
By default, I like anything Dr. Who and anything involving Stephen Moffat, so I was predisposed to like this episode, and did!

Until I started to think about it a little bit, and then a few things began to sit poorly with me, not least was Oswin's transformation into a Dalek. Granting that you can always handwave this stuff, it seems as though the episode decided to treat Daleks as though they were Cybermen, able and interested in making other creatures into versions of themselves.

Yet the whole point is that a) Daleks are the little green critters in the suits, not the suits themselves. So how exactly is it that they can "transform" Oswin into a Dalek? They're not just putting her into the suit, they've got to make her a little green critter, or she's not really a Dalek. The "puppet" Daleks can at least be explained by the nano-transformation. They're not "really" Dalek, but have some Dalek features.

More importantly b) the whole point of Daleks is that they're genocidal psychopaths. They have no interest in enslaving or incorporating other races, they want to eliminate them. They are the Nazis of the Who universe, convinced of their own superiority above all other species. In that regard, neither their assimilation of Oswin nor their use of the puppets made much sense.

As for the Amy-Rory romance, it seems like that may have been too easily resolved, and from a character perspective, I hope that's not the last we hear of it. That said, Rory is right, he's always loved Amy more than she loved him.

Nellisir

Hero
As for the Amy-Rory romance, it seems like that may have been too easily resolved, and from a character perspective, I hope that's not the last we hear of it. That said, Rory is right, he's always loved Amy more than she loved him.

Too easily brought on, and too easily resolved. It's the old saw: if there's a gun in the first act, you must fire it in the third act. Or conversely, if there's a shooting in the third act, there must be a gun on the wall in the first act.

This was all shooting, no gun.

Herschel

Adventurer
I think I liked it. There was a whole lot of "WTF ARE YOU DOING MOFFAT?!?!?!?!?!?". I may need to re-watch it, ala "Let's Kill Hitler" to really appreciate it.

Oswin was fun, Moffat's a liar (as he likes to remind us) and there's a whole plethora of ways to use stuff from this episode if he decides to do so. I would expect him to want everyone to equate Oswin's demise with River's just so he can try and left-turn us with whatever he has in mind.

elawai

Community Supporter
Some Daleks have the ability to use an emergency temporal shift as an escape (Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks). Perhaps Oswin emergency shifts to the Victorian era? How she manages to transfer to a human looking body is a still a mystery to be solved.

I doubt that they'll use the "meet her earlier in her timeline" again because we are still in middle of the River Song story.

Richards

Legend
Did I miss it, or did they somehow counter the nanocloud effects that should otherwise be well on its way to transforming Amy and the Doctor into puppet Daleks? Each one went for some time in the Asylum without the protection of those anti-nano bracelets.

Johnathan

Herschel

Adventurer
That's still likely to come in to play at some point. Moffat planting a seed. He likes messing with people who pay attention to details, especially the pedantic, "gotcha" crowd. Remember the coat bit from The Crash of the Byzantium/Time of Angels?

lin_fusan

First Post
More importantly b) the whole point of Daleks is that they're genocidal psychopaths. They have no interest in enslaving or incorporating other races, they want to eliminate them. They are the Nazis of the Who universe, convinced of their own superiority above all other species. In that regard, neither their assimilation of Oswin nor their use of the puppets made much sense./QUOTE]

There is a "history" of Daleks using and "assimilating" other species.

In the 1st Doctor episode, The Dalek Invasion of Earth, the Daleks have enslaved humans to do heavy labor and mining.

In the 3rd Doctor episode, Day of the Daleks, the Daleks employ mercenaries called Ogrons.

In the 6th Doctor episode, Revelation of the Daleks, they use human corpses to create more Daleks.

In the 7th Doctor episode, Remembrance of the Daleks, one faction of the Daleks uses a human child to boost their combat computer.

In the 9th Doctor episode, The Parting of Ways, that faction of Daleks have been siphoning human beings to cull genetic material to make more Daleks.

I think Dalek motivations have changed to suit each episode.

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
Interesting. I suppose that the 6th doctor episode is most relevant here, since apprarently it means they can change the genetic material of other species to enable them to "become" Dalek, though I haven't seen the episode so maybe it doesn't apply.

I do however seem to remember that the other members of the Cult of Skaro were horrified by Dalek Sec's "Human Dalek."

lin_fusan

First Post
Too easily brought on, and too easily resolved. It's the old saw: if there's a gun in the first act, you must fire it in the third act. Or conversely, if there's a shooting in the third act, there must be a gun on the wall in the first act.

This was all shooting, no gun.

I think you are misusing Chekhov's Gun.

But if you mean the central conceit of their divorce completely 180s two seasons of constant reinforcing that Amy and Rory will go through anything, even the end of the universe and the end of time, in order to be together and thus prove their undying love, then I totally agree.

I would have been fine with them fighting or hitting a rough patch, but to have fallen so out of love to file for divorce stuck me as a little ham-handed.

Remove ads