Acquisitions Incorporated: The Lost Episode

Baileyborough

First Post
For the record, I don't think he's a douche, I just don't find him funny, and can think of funnier people. I also think he's a bit of an attention seeker, and drags his "jokes" out a bit too long.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
wheaton is such a douche bag and hypocrite ...

F700, please don't resort to name calling. We would prefer EN World's discussion remain just a bit above that sort of thing. Our Rule #1 is "Keep it civil," and calling someone a such names, whether he's present or not, we don't consider civil.

If you've any questions on this, please take them to e-mail or PM with the moderator of your choice. Thanks.

Abciximab

Explorer
While Wil does go a little over the top (which I blame on his being an actor and nothing more), I enjoy watching him as part of the group and would not want to see him replaced. I think having different personalities makes for a great dynamic. I also believe he is genuinely enthusiastic about the game and gameplaying in general as well as the camaraderie that goes with it.

filthgrinder

First Post
Also, these guys are getting paid to play. It's part of WotCs marketing budget, so it's not a matter of inviting him back, and there's nothing new or unusual about disliking a co-worker and still having to work with him/her.

Right... that is why Mike and Jerry had Wil give the keynote address at the first ever PAX, and invited him back to give the keynote at the first PAX East. Thats why he's invited to every PAX, and has a giant panel every year.

As for "being paid", PA has an ad policy of not doing site take-over, not doing pop outs, and not running ads for games they don't like or haven't played. They ask for demos/betas of games before they'll run ads. They've even pulled ads when the game launches is different than the played beta.

Mike even talked about how they lost the deal to do a comic book for the Old Republic MMO after Mike posted about why he stopped playing.

So, I'm going to wager they like Wil, because apart for the above, they've said they like him.

As for Wil love, I think his series "TableTop" is probably the best ad for table top gaming anyone has ever done. That alone should get him some credit.

Kris isn't in the game because he wasn't in Seattle when this all started. He should be the fifth member, but alas.

I liked this one better than last year's, but not as much as the first live show (which I was at). They aren't as good at 4+ hour podcasts, but I take what I get.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
As for Wil love, I think his series "TableTop" is probably the best ad for table top gaming anyone has ever done. That alone should get him some credit.

This, it's the best tabletop ad you can ask for, made me buy sme great games and it was cool seeing them play the games we love.

Warder

F700

First Post
Right... that is why Mike and Jerry had Wil give the keynote address at the first ever PAX, and invited him back to give the keynote at the first PAX East. Thats why he's invited to every PAX, and has a giant panel every year.

As for "being paid", PA has an ad policy of not doing site take-over, not doing pop outs, and not running ads for games they don't like or haven't played. They ask for demos/betas of games before they'll run ads. They've even pulled ads when the game launches is different than the played beta.

Mike even talked about how they lost the deal to do a comic book for the Old Republic MMO after Mike posted about why he stopped playing.

So, I'm going to wager they like Wil, because apart for the above, they've said they like him.

Kris isn't in the game because he wasn't in Seattle when this all started. He should be the fifth member, but alas.

I liked this one better than last year's, but not as much as the first live show (which I was at). They aren't as good at 4+ hour podcasts, but I take what I get.

Actually, Kruhlik has mentioned before that they're paid to do the podcasts. That they`re pro D&D after being paid to play isn`t a matter of ethics - I have no doubt if they were paid to play the first time and didn`t like it, they`d have said so and not been paid to play again or refused to be paid to play.

What makes you special so that you can ignore a moderators instructions? Answer: nothing. Don't do it again or you'll have a 3 day ban. Plane Sailing, enworld admin
As for "name calling"...do a Google search of wil wheaton is a douche. It returns 86,000 or so hits for a reason. As a public figure, he's open to criticismn, and since WotC has chosen to make him one of the public faces of their product his behaviour relates to that product and becomes representative of their corporate values. If you don't like douche bag, that's fine, I can go with hypocrite, liar, arrogant, egotistical, etc. Douche bag just sums it up nicely. But the fact is, as a celebrity - even a d-list celebrity - he`s a product, and reviewing his performance and behaviour is as appropos as reviewing any other D&D book or product.

As for the subject at hand - the live PAX game - I found it less enjoyable than ever for the reasons I previously stated. Over-produced, too short, not enough story, way too much wheaton. As a marketing move, it failed.

Last edited by a moderator:

filthgrinder

First Post
As for "name calling"...do a Google search of wil wheaton is a douche. It returns 86,000 or so hits for a reason.

Because if it is on the internet it must be true!

google "we didn't land on the moon": About 124,000,000 results. "the sky is green": About 590,000,000 results
Google results is a really bad metric.

So, going by bad metrics, there are plenty of stores of people picking up D&D from the podcasts and live shows. The fact that D&D is MASSIVE at PAX and DWARFS any other table top game (expect for cards against humanity and zombie dice, since those are line games)

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases