A D&D Song Competition

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
My borther came up with this idea, although I am dubious it could work. To me, it seems like an awful lot of effort you'd need to make to enter a competition.

Anyway, the idea was that we hold a competition whereby people write/compose/record RPG-related songs. People vote on them, and the winner gets their song made into a video, animated, and stuff. The songs could be funny, dramatic - anything.

I promised I'd put some feelers out, so here they are. Would this idea get any traction at all?

Janx

Hero
[MENTION=19675]Dannyalcatraz[/MENTION] likes FILK. This seems up his alley.

However, full writing and recording something of enough quality would be restrictive.

I know lots of people record stuff on their web-cam, but the audio tends to be total crap when it comes to music.

Still, having done the Record Production Month challenge a few years back, I know a song can be written and recorded in a day, if you have a studio.

we used a home studio with Garage Band on a Mac-clone with an 8-channel mixer connected to a mic'd drum kit. We recorded each instrument seperately. Took about 5 hours to record and assemble a song.

Garage Band on iThing is $10 and lets you do all that with virtual instruments.

So, it's doable.

Next up, people who have musical talent/interest. While there's probably countless on this forum who play(ed) an instrument, I'm only aware of about four or so who are active musically. Obviously, that number shows a lack of awareness, but I'm betting there's not zillions of musician gamers.

It's an interesting idea. I reckon I'd be interested, and less negative if I wasn't working all weekend, thus thinking I don't have time to write and record a song.

though I do think it's a doable concept.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
'Tis a sad truth that I have some recording gear...and have never used it for its intended purposes

Otherwise, I'd be on this like silk on Drow.

Janx

Hero
'Tis a sad truth that I have some recording gear...and have never used it for its intended purposes

Otherwise, I'd be on this like silk on Drow.

I reckon we could come up with something. But to do a parody cover or an original.

I wanted to work up a version of Ragnar the Red from Skyrim, but haven't had the time.

We could dig through Danny's collection of unrecorded FILK lyrics and work something up.

But judging from the overwhelming response on this thread, there ain't a lot of takers for the concept.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Probably better off trying to find a band that wants to record some of the lyrics and go from there. Backwards, perhaps, but probably more feasible.

Hmmmm...SELL the CD & mp3s on the site! Use the profits (if any) to help fund ENWorld!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So it looks like we'd get one or two entries at the very most?

If we could be guaranteed a dozen or so entries, I think it'd be worth doing.

Sialia

First Post
SerIously

Yes, this sounds like fun. I can't compete with the folks who wrote an entire opera based on Piratecat's thread, but I'll throw my hat into the ring for a couple of D&D themed songs I might happen to have lying around and hope they don't notice this tantalizing thread and pound me into a pulp. The folks who wrote the opera, not the songs.

I posted the lyrics to one a few weeks ago on the Welcome to the Game Night Kitchen thread: http://www.enworld.org/forum/media-...welcome-game-night-kitchen-2.html#post5972752

Is this the sort of thing you were looking for? There's plenty more where that came from. Some with familiar tunes, some with new tunes as yet unheard.

It would be a total hoot to get to share a couple of these. I don't plan on overthinking the audio quality--it's the song that's important here. If the song wins, getting a decent recording of it with an actually talented performer might be part of the prize. Songwriting is a different skill set from performing, seperate entrely from being a recording engineer. Granted some people do it all, but for the rest of us, let's just tackle one thing at a time.

Last edited:

Ormocea

First Post
My contribution.......

Smeagolian Rhapsody (Gollum's Lament)
(To the music of Queen’s Bohemian Rhapsody)

This is my life-
A Tolkien fantasy-
Caught in a landslide-
No escaping Mt. Doom I see-
Open your eyes
Look up to the skies and see-
Two Hobbits waving, who give me no sympathy-
Because I’m sinking fast, I’m going down,
A little crisp, a little brown.
Anyway the Ring glows, it’s all that really matters to me,
To me

Mama, just killed Deagol,
Bashed a rock against his head,
Throttled him and now he’s dead,
Mama, it was my birth---day gift,
But now you all want me to go away-
Mama ooo,
Didn’t mean to make you cry-
I’ll be at the Misty Mountains come tomorrow-
Carry on, carry on, as if Smeagol doesn’t matter-

Too late, for working out,
I’m all skin hung on a spine-
Body’s aching all the time,
Goodbye everybody- I’ve got to go-
Gotta leave you all behind and eat my fish-
Mama ooo- (any way the Ring glows)
I’m not gonna die,
The goblins wish I’d never been born at all-

I see a little silhouetto of a man,
It’s a Hobbit! It’s a Hobbit! Every d**n Tolkien fan knows
Furry feet and pipeweed-very very frightening me-
Baggins, Baggins,
Baggins Baggins
Baggins Bilbo-not-Frodo
But I’m just Gollum and nobody loves me-
He’s just Gollum from a Gollum family-
Spare him his life - he’s a monstrosity-
Easy come easy go-, I won’t let the Ring go-
Precious! No-we will not let it go-let it go-
Precious! No-will not let it go-let it go
Precious! We will not let it go-let it go
Will not let it go-let it go
Will not let it go let it go
No,no,no,no,no,no,no-
Mama mia,mama mia,mama mia let me go-
Lord Sauron has a devil put aside for me, for me, for me-

The fat hobbit tricked me, then spat in my eye-
Then Frodo he robbed me and left me to die-
Oh Master-can’t do this to me Master-
Just gotta get-just gotta get you and the Ring-

Nothing really matters,
Anyone can see,
Nothing really matters- just the Ring, it matters to me.

Any way the Ring glows....

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases