IC The Thirteenth Moon: Night of the Blood Moon

airwalkrr

Adventurer
[sblock=Formatting Notes and Posting Guidelines]Anything you type up without formatting happens in-character, for better or worse. No editing, please. If you are a neat-freak like me and are concerned about spelling or grammar mistakes, preview your posts before posting them.

I will attempt to write in the present tense most of time. I would prefer you do the same. If it isn't natural enough for you, you may write in the past tense, however.

Out-of-character topics that have no direct bearing on the immediate situation should be posted to the OOC thread (this is also where the campaign introduction is located). I prefer use of spoiler blocks (tag sblock) for OOC conversation that DOES concern the immediate situation, but just make sure it is clear if something is OOC. Player characters and NPCs can be viewed in the Rogues Gallery.

I reserve the color Yellow for NPC speech. All NPCs will use the same color. I will do my best to refrain from carrying on conversations with myself. Most conversations with NPCs will involve only one character at a time. If, for some reason, I feel it is absolutely necessary to have more than one NPC speaking in the same post, I will delineate who is speaking by inserting the NPC's name before the text like so:

George: Well met, adventurer.

You may use any other color you like for your character. Just be consistent and pick something that stands out from the background well enough to read. If you do not wish to use a color for your character's in-character speech, please remember to use quotation marks.

Please use the integrated dice roller for all rolls. It makes it easier for me to spot math mistakes. If you are having difficulty with the integrated roller, please link your rolls from whatever online roller you use so I can check the math if I feel the need. Otherwise I use the honor system for dice rolls.

You may use action points on any d20 roll your character makes as described in the Eberron Campaign Setting. In the case of pbp, you do not have the luxury of immediate DM feedback, but if you decide to add an action point, please decide whether to do so quickly, in the event that I am online at the same time. You will often know the DC ahead of time (see below), but that is okay. It will just give the players an extra edge knowing when action points are going to be most efficacious; I am fine with that. I would rather action points result in success than be wasted.

This campaign uses the Players Roll All The Dice variant. Please familiarize yourself with this system and figure out the relevant modifiers for your characters then post them to your character's write-up in the Rogues Gallery. I will include the damage and effects of attacks, as well as enemy attack scores, save scores, and caster level scores when I describe the enemy actions.

NOTE: I will NOT describe the result of many dice roll outcomes in my own posts, particularly when it comes to combat and situations where you know the DC required. This is partly to engage players and get them to take a more active roll in describing the scenes and partly to ease my burden of tracking the outcome of things. As a general rule, if I call for a roll, I will provide you with a DC and leave it to you to describe your character's success or failure. In this way I also want to give players more narrative control over the events of the game. For example, you may be provided with the opportunity to describe how an opponent chooses to back down after a successful Intimidate check. I cannot predict everything players will want to roll against, however, so sometimes you will not know the DC ahead of time. In these cases, you may need to wait until you know the result.

The rules have been included in the campaign wiki. I will update the wiki to include space for players to add and edit things eventually as well.

I intend to post major updates on Mondays and Fridays. I will also try to post a major update on Wednesdays as well, but this will be somewhat irregular and will depend on my schedule. There will be minor updates throughout the week and into the weekend as time allows.

But most of all, let's all have fun and tell a great story![/sblock]Mandyran peered out the window and watched the nearly vacant streets of Sharn.

Mandyran: "Just about everyone's gone home," he mutters. "Not that I blame them. A dark omen like that! I might as well close up for the night. It is nice of you to stay, Dorius," he says to the gnome sitting at the table with him, "but there is hardly anyone left. Most of them them went to hide at home I suppose. Judging by the screams I keep hearing, there are still people just catching sight of it for the first time. That," he trails off for a moment, "or something more sinister going on. Anyway, I will start locking up the doors. I'll leave one open for the rest of the folks to leave."

Dorius had never seen his mentor so graven and distraught before. Of course, even back in Zilargo thirteen was an unlucky number. The gnomes were as superstitious as any, and had their own tales about the Thirteenth Moon. Its appearance was said to herald the rise of an opposition to enlightened ideals, as well as war and famine.

Across the room, Dorius crosses eyes with his friend, Berrent. He had met with the fellow a few times starting with his first missive back to Zilargo. Berrent had received an invitation from Dorius to attend the party at the Golden Horn, for which he was grateful. He was hoping to start building up a network of friends and associates to get his reputation as an inquisitive off the ground. A gathering such as this held promise, that is, until the arrival of the Blood Moon scattered almost everyone to the wind. He was beginning to think it might be best to call it a night.

Mandyran: "You can probably take the rest of the night off too, Bront," Mandyran says to his bouncer. "There just isn't enough business tonight to justify staying open."

Brad, the changeling who was moonlighting as his half-orc persona, Bront, could not help but reflect on the fact that Mandyran was right. There was hardly a soul left in the Golden Horn. Even some of the staff had fled in abject terror when the Blood Moon appeared. It did not frighten Brad, however. Within the changeling community there was a saying about the Thirteenth Moon: "All will be righted on the rise of the lost moon." For many it was a reference to the many years of persecution changelings had suffered at the hands of Inquisitions, purges, and other misunderstandings that had plagued their race, and perhaps a strong spirit of optimism, even if it was something most considered impossible. Yet Brad could not deny his eyes. The Blood Moon hung in the sky, clear for all to see.

Alise sat at a table with some fellow students from meditation class. They had agreed to meet in advance of the start of classes to get to know each other, but there were very few of them left and the last of them were just now deciding that going home would probably be best. As the other students rose, Alise was dejectedly nursing her drink and caught Brad's eye. He had noticed the human just the other day coming to the defense of a poor girl in the streets being accosted by guards making lewd and raunchy comments. He was not sure how she had managed to do so. It was clearly not magic, but obviously something that involved more than honeyed words.

Lt. Dane: "So much for a party, eh?" the knight of the Citadel says to Vigil as the two sit alone. The other members of the King's Wands had retreated to Ambassador Towers already on Lt. Dane's orders to prepare for a potentially busy night. "I figured this would be a great place to spend the evening. Such a pity. And Mandyran was happy to have more warforged like yourself around in recognition of the evening's theme. I was hoping you'd have more chance to socialize. I know acclimating to non-combat situations has been difficult for you. Well, I had best be moving along as well. It is quite possible the King's Wands may be called upon this night to deal with some dangerous threat. Things like this always seem to bring out the madness in people. Feel free to stop by the Citadel later if you have the need." With that, Lt. Dane rises to leave.

[sblock=OOC] Aside from the staff, your characters and the NPCs referred to above are the only ones left in the Golden Horn. Feel free to interact for a bit. You have a few minutes in-game before Mandyran finishes closing to introduce yourselves to each other. I will try to post an update tomorrow with a hook for adventure.[/sblock]

FloatingDisc

First Post
Dorius takes a moment to take in the scene for before answering Mandyran. So many strangers, so many potential sources... "I know I should be scared like everyone else, Mandyran, but I can't help but see this is strange celestial occurrence as the perfect subject for my first big scoop! Excuse me, would you?"

Crossing the room to Berrent's table, Dorius hails the human and asks "Berrent, old buddy, how would you feel about being quoted in the Korranberg Chronicle as an eye-witness to this century's premier celestial event? All you need to do is provide me with your keen-eyed observations. Why don't you start with where you were when you first noticed the rise of the blood-red thirteenth moon?" Dorius produces a worn, leather-bound notebook and a sharpened stick of graphite from his vest, ready to record.

kinem

Adventurer
Brad as the burly half-orc Bront heads over to Alise's table. I'd prefer to be in human form for this, but you work with what's at hand. As he's working tonight, he's clad in his scale mail and his greatsword clinks at his back.

"Hi. I'm sure you don't remember me but I think I've seen you before. You help people, don't you? This moon, it means change but that's not always bad."

airwalkrr

Adventurer
[sblock=Knowledge DCs regarding the Thirteenth Moon]The following are applicable Knowledge check results that might apply in this situation regarding what your character knows about the Blood Moon. If you succeed at the listed check DC, you may open the spoiler block and reveal the information within (and nested within might be more difficult DCs). Of course, I have no way of preventing you from opening the blocks, so if you just can't resist the urge to take a peek, you will have to play as if your character doesn't know.[sblock=Arcana DC 15]Eberron has twelve moons, one for each month and also associated with each dragonmark. Some stories tell of a thirteenth moon which once existed, but if it did, it has not be around in ages.[sblock=Arcana DC 20]A thirteenth moon did indeed exist at one point in time, but it disappeared approximately 2600 years ago.[sblock=Arcana DC 25]The thirteenth moon was called Kharesk and was associated with the House of Vol, bearers of the dragonmark of death which no longer exists.[/sblock][/sblock][/sblock][sblock=History DC 15]Legends tell of a thirteenth moon which once circled Eberron long ago. It was said to hold special significance to some elves within Aerenal, the elven island.[sblock=History DC 20]The thirteenth moon disappeared approximately 2600 years ago. This event coincided with the end of one of the elven-dragon wars.[sblock=History DC 25]The most educated scholars have deduced that the disappearance of the thirteenth moon was actually coincident with the destruction of House Vol, an elven dragonmarked house which no longer exists. It is said that the elves and dragons worked together to eliminate the house after it encouraged cross-breeding of dragons with elves as a means to end the elven-dragon wars.[/sblock][/sblock][/sblock][sblock=Nobility and Royalty DC 20]The "lost" thirteenth moon is said to be associated with a lost dragonmark.[sblock=Nobility and Royalty DC 25]The elven House Vol, now wiped out, once possessed the Mark of Death, which was associated with a thirteenth moon which disappeared over two thousand years ago.[/sblock][/sblock][sblock=Religion DC 15]The followers of the Blood of Vol consider the number 13 to be a sacred number.[sblock=Religion DC 20]The followers of the Blood of Vol have an obscure hymn which actually laments the disappearance of the thirteenth moon.[sblock=Religion DC 30]The symbol of the Blood of Vol has an antiquated meaning which is not commonly recognized in the modern age. The center of the symbol represents both a dragon's egg and a blood red moon.[/sblock][/sblock][/sblock][/sblock]

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
Alise looks up startled at the burly half-orc, wondering where she could have possibly met someone like him without noticing.

"Oh, Hello. I just try to be a good person that's all. Do the right thing, that's what the Host would want us to do. As for change, the moon, I know change doesn't have to be bad, but in my experience..." she goes silent for a moment. "No, it's not always bad. But we have to take charge of destiny, I think, make choices that keep it from being bad. My father showed me that."

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
"It's exciting, isn't it, Dorius?" Berrent says. "Okay, so I was here, in the Golden Horn, when I heard the screams outside. So of course I ran outside. Everyone was looking up, like tourists or something. Then I saw the moon. It's a blood drop on black mirror just floating up there. I can understand why everyone was so scared. I sure was when I first saw it. But then I realized there's not much it can do up there in the night sky. If anything, it's a sign of exciting times. Something like that doesn't happen without something big coming soon."

He takes a drink and looks at Dorius. "That good?"

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Mandyran moves about the tavern shuttering the windows and closing doors, but as he makes it to the main entryway, he is startled by a lone figure who staggers into the room. The individual is cloaked and his features are masked, but the trail of blood he leaves as he hobbles several steps inward are clearly evident. He grasps a hold of Mandyran with his right hand, which is stained from blood while his left hand clutches his side in pain. He appears to be suffering from terrible wounds.

Lone Figure: "The mark..." he coughs, spurting blood and holding tightly to Mandyran, "Death has returned..."

With that, the elf collapses on the floor, and a pool of blood begins to flow around his torso beneath him. Mandyran kneels down hurriedly and tries to staunch the flow of blood with his hands using the elf's cloak.

Mandyran: "Is there a healer in the house?" he cries.[sblock=OOC]The elf might be saved with a DC 20 Heal check or the application of at least 5 points of healing. This healing need not come all at once.[/sblock]

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
"Whoa! What happened?" Berrent rushes to the door and looks out for whoever stabbed the elf. He also looks for the direction the trail of blood comes from. His hand is on his rapier and his eyes dart about.

FloatingDisc

First Post
OOC: Dorius' skill checks for Thirteenth Moon knowledge

OOC: Flat +2 Int modifier bonus to each check as Dorius isn't trained in any of them.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Vigil nods to the parting lieutenant. "Your company gives Vigil clarity. May the Light shine upon you."

Vigil becomes eerily inert, save for his head which occassionaly pivots from side to side as he scans the tavern. He focuses on snippets of conversation as he tries to understand the chaos of the revelers.

Upon hearing the mention of the Blood Moon, he reaches into his mind to find any relevant information about... well, about information.

Vigil is an introvert by nature, uncomfortable with cordial social interaction. The Order of the Silver Flame... there are rules to follow, rituals to be observed and properly obeyed. He does not know how to relate to the raw and unpredictable emotions of people.

With the entrance of the wounded elf, Vigil suddenly swings his legs about and stands. "Vigil will assist," he says loudly. He pushes his way through the crowd and prepares a healing litany, calling to the Light to share its life energy with the casualty.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases